Page 535 of 589 FirstFirst ... 35435485525533534535536537545585 ... LastLast
Results 10,681 to 10,700 of 11772

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Warrior within's real crime was the linear 'get chased by magic cow' challenges, they stopped me cold, but then I was mouse and keyboarding.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I think the best thing about sands of time is how well it resembles the feel of being one of a One Thousand and One Nights tale. And how well it ties narrative and gameplay together.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Warrior within's real crime was the linear 'get chased by magic cow' challenges, they stopped me cold, but then I was mouse and keyboarding.
    I always mouse and keyboarded the pop games, and mostly didn't have a problem.
    Also I loved the sepia moments in the game.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I think the best thing about sands of time is how well it resembles the feel of being one of a One Thousand and One Nights tale. And how well it ties narrative and gameplay together.
    Your enthusiasm speaks to me. I never read up on all the PoP games and rathen than read non-RPS gradepoints, I'd hear your view on whether and why Sands of Time is the one to get.

Quote Originally Posted by salattu View Post
    Your enthusiasm speaks to me. I never read up on all the PoP games and rathen than read non-RPS gradepoints, I'd hear your view on whether and why Sands of Time is the one to get.
    Sands of Time is the first of the franchise and it's the one that's self contained.
    Also is the one that nails the aesthetics and the fantasy feel perfectly, even by incorporating the narrative element into the game (The events of the game are being narrated by the prince and this provides little touches to the game).
    The game is one of the most influential in bringing back the 3D plataformers, introducing the parkour elements that are now so prevalent. That coupled with the brilliant use of time manipulation to make it more forgiving to the player and how that's incorporated to the story makes it a landmark in game design.
    Following iterations of the game lost some of its magic by trying to appeal to a "edgier" audience, loosing that fantasy tale feel. They're still good games overall, and bring some improvements in gameplay (combat mostly, which is the weakes part of Sands of Time).

God, I haven't even talked about music and I don't want to talk about characters as it's lovely the way they're portrayed and grow during the game. I love that game. It's certainly in my top five games of all time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by salattu View Post
    Oh, Christ, if you're just going to buy one, Sands of Time should be it. No question. The three of them do make a surprisingly good story together (even with the grating mis-step of Warrior Within) but Tikey's quite right, you can happily just play Sands of Time and not feel like you're missing out. They really did pretty much get the gameplay mechanics almost spot on right from the start - some people don't care for the combat but I liked it fine - and there is a... purity of purpose about the way SoT works that's absolutely bewitching even after all these years. See a puzzle, see where you've got to go, wander around at your own pace working it out, listen to the beautifully timed banter between the Prince and Farah, watch the scenery every now and then, think "Ah hah!" and run, jump and flip through the puzzle feeling like a badass. Other games have let you do cooler things since then but few if any have got the balance down so beautifully, the sense that every part of the game (exploring, navigating hazards, fighting monsters, finding more of the story, even collecting things) is equally important.

It has its shortcomings - the infamous elevator fight and the rotating puzzle early on made many people rage back in the day - but there's a reason it's still thought of as a masterpiece. The sequels are totally worth playing (though this is coming from someone who liked PoP 2008, too) but I agree with anyone who says the other games never quite captured the same magic.
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Sands of Time is the first of the franchise and it's the one that's self contained.
    No one ever seems to give love to the classics.

The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

I know, I know. Prince of Persia is perhaps the most influential game of my childhood.
    When I talk about franchise I talk about the new series.

GMG has another one of those promos:

https://freegame.greenmangaming.com/

Link your Steam account to your Playfire one and get Super Sanctum TD for free.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus somini's Avatar
    Also is the one that nails the aesthetics and the fantasy feel perfectly, even by incorporating the narrative element into the game (The events of the game are being narrated by the prince and this provides little touches to the game).
    The game is one of the most influential in bringing back the 3D plataformers, introducing the parkour elements that are now so prevalent. That coupled with the brilliant use of time manipulation to make it more forgiving to the player and how that's incorporated to the story makes it a landmark in game design.
    Following iterations of the game lost some of its magic by trying to appeal to a "edgier" audience, loosing that fantasy tale feel. They're still good games overall, and bring some improvements in gameplay (combat mostly, which is the weakes part of Sands of Time).

God, I haven't even talked about music and I don't want to talk about characters as it's lovely the way they're portrayed and grow during the game. I love that game. It's certainly in my top five games of all time.
    Very much this. The combat it's not bad really, just pales in comparison with the rest of the game. It has a variety of moves that you can discover: walljumps, wall-missiles(for lack of a better word), vaulting over enemies(some are immune to this). My favourite is when you vault and use the dagger on weaker enemies, their sands are sucked from a standing position, it makes for some great screenshots.
    Oh god, I'm this close to reinstalling. Everybody, don't post pictures anywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    But to be fair, despite how irritating the nu-metal posturing is, 1) Warrior Within is still a pretty good game beneath it and 2) it gave us Two Thrones, which is basically the greatest apology to the fans any developer has ever put together, given the entire plot is basically "Actually the dark prince was kind of a dick, wasn't he? Christ, listen to him rabbiting on! How could we think anyone other than fourteen-year-old boys would actually think this idiot was cool? That's why he's the bad guy now. Enjoy proving him wrong!".
    True. And Farah didn't remember about the Prince, which was the way it should be done. Earn your happy ending!

The 2008 reboot was poised to be as great as the Sands of Time trilogy. Even with Nolan North as the Prince. The plot is surprisingly similar to SoT. Even the DS game(which I played, but of course) that continued the story had potential. Alas, no good deed goes unpunished.
    Last edited by somini; 20-03-2014 at 01:01 AM.
    Steam(shots), Imgur, Bak'laag, why do you forsake me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I will defend PoP 2008, but the one thing it did I can't forgive was - developers, do not offer me a choice between A and B, one that's ostensibly interactive, and then let me find out that it's not a choice at all and I can only pick A. Just don't. I can still remember how I felt playing through that ending and it really wasn't fun. :(

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    Very much this. The combat it's not bad really, just pales in comparison with the rest of the game. It has a variety of moves that you can discover: walljumps, wall-missiles(for lack of a better word), vaulting over enemies(some are immune to this). My favourite is when you vault and use the dagger on weaker enemies, their sands are sucked from a standing position, it makes for some great screenshots.
    Oh god, I'm this close to reinstalling. Everybody, don't post pictures anywhere!
    There is also a very complicated manoeuvre that lets you absorb certain enemies right after blocking. I only managed to get it right a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by somini View Post
    True. And Farah didn't remember about the Prince, which was the way it should be done. Earn your happy ending!
    Two thrones did a good job with tying the stories and fixing a lot of mistakes made with Warrior Within. The final dialogue of the ending is a brilliant way of closing the trilogy.

I liked PoP 2008, including the way it ended, and I'm sad it didn't do well enough to warrant any followups. Yes, I'll admit it had its issues and certainly wasn't the masterpiece that was Sands of Time, but what can I say? I liked it anyway.

Network Hub
    The current offer on indiegamestand is War of the Human Tanks. $1 minimum gets you a steam and/or desura key.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by BTAxis View Post
    I liked PoP 2008, including the way it ended, and I'm sad it didn't do well enough to warrant any followups. Yes, I'll admit it had its issues and certainly wasn't the masterpiece that was Sands of Time, but what can I say? I liked it anyway.
    I didn't mind the ending per se, just I'm not ashamed to admit my first thought was "Well, surely the right thing to do would be to let her stay dead?" and then I was furious to discover that this wasn't an option. Guys! You're making me walk right past lava pits which I could happily jump straight into before, only now they've all got invisible walls around them! Do you honestly not think someone might find that absolutely maddening?

Seems like Payday 2 is 67% off for the weekend. Is someone up to a 4-pack? Also, it seems to be WAY cheaper in the United States.

Activated Node
    It's also free to play for the weekend, which I'm game for.

FireFlower Games

Data Hacker Corruption - 50% off

Space Slice - 50% off
    Carefully selected DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux for direct download - http://fireflowergames.com/
    At least half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm posting this mostly as I'm too scared to try it myself - it comes from LewieP over at Savygamer (so I've left his referrer in the link - remove it if you don't like that sort of thing) - and blame him if you get screwed I guess!? :)

He points to this deal at a key reseller (Asian?) called G2A

https://www.g2a.com/assassin-s-creed...reflink=lewiep

13.99Eu for AssFlag (Asian) - which is English language, apparently. PayPal will probably translate that to about £12/$20 - ish

He also highlights that G2A gift vouchers are 10% discounted - so buying a 10+5Eu voucher is SLIGHTLY cheaper (13.50Eu)

https://www.g2a.com/giftcards?reflink=lewiep

Tho for 40c you might want to save the faffing about?

Some people are reporting that a phone number is required for 'confirmation' but I've not tried it so - over to you, really.
    Last edited by trjp; 21-03-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    He points to this deal at a key reseller (Asian?) called G2A
    The SSL certificate is issued to G2A.COM Sp. z.o.o.[PL] so I'm guessing it is a polish site, which would mean it's likely one of those grey market oopsthisgamejustfelloffatruck//oopsthisgameis70%cheaperinrussia sites.

And no, I did not make up the "z.o.o." part.

Network Hub
    http://blog.playfire.com/2014/03/foc...861_387832_524
    GMG is offering Crysis 3 for 9.99 among other things. Is it worth it?