Page 60 of 596 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160560 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 11914

Thread: PC Bargains

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Better off giving your money direct to charity.
    But but but, then I wouldn't be able to barrack for the underdog and share in the glory when they succeed.

But yeah, you're probably right. I'm not sure why they went the route they did - presumably 2 million people at $5, or 5 million at $2 even, is more realistic. Worst comes to worst I donated $3 to charity, which is $3 more than I donated yesterday.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Activated Node
    Supreme Commander Gold is discounted to $10 (sorry, I can't speak for other regions) on steam. I can't find any of my friends that are willing to buy it with me. I know I'll be able to occupy myself with skirmishes if the AI is good enough. How is the game's AI? And how is the campaign? Is it interesting enough to play through?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    The campaign is a linear story-driven affair, so pretty meh. The AI isn't bad, and IIRC there are a number of really excellent AI mods, so you'd never lack for a good computer opponent in skirmish.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hey CrinnyCow,

Unless you totally can't wait, I'd hold out in the hopes that Steam will devote a day of the THQ Week to Supreme Commander, making all the games cheaper.

The Skirmish AI is pretty good -- there's a great AI mod out there, Sorian's AI, which is very strong. The guy who made it was eventually hired to do the AI for Supreme Commander 2. I recommend it, as long as you're OK with resource cheating AI.

The campaign is typical, a set of scripted challenges. I played through with one faction and had a decent time. The Forged Alliance campaign is better than the vanilla one. (Indeed, the Forged Alliance add on improves the game a lot).

(I actually prefer Supreme Commander 2, however)

Activated Node
    Thanks for the replies. I was planning on waiting it out anyway, although I feel it's unlikely it will go on sale. I'll still pick it up even if it doesn't get discounted further. The fact that it has mod support is a definite plus.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    If you have lots of spare time and high tolerance for low-end graphics, grab Avernum 6 and Geneforge 5 for 20$ each in October from http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html - if you need more, also look at Avernum 3. And then eventually Avadon.

Seriously though, Geneforge 5 has the most plotbranches in any game since King of Dragonpass, and Avernum 6 contains the most amazing setpieces ever, especially if you're familiar with the series.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Obscure Node
    Jagged Alliance 2 for $6.80 (or whatever that equates to in local currency) on Steam. Beats GOG. Tempted to pick it up just to see how well it plays after 10 years.

Titan Quest is on sale on Steam. I know nothing about these games, but the screenshots look appealing. Is it crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    If you have lots of spare time and high tolerance for low-end graphics, grab Avernum 6 and Geneforge 5 for 20$ each in October from http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/products.html - if you need more, also look at Avernum 3. And then eventually Avadon.

Seriously though, Geneforge 5 has the most plotbranches in any game since King of Dragonpass, and Avernum 6 contains the most amazing setpieces ever, especially if you're familiar with the series.
    Actually, the base price has been lowered to $20. The October sale is an additional 10%, so they're $18 at the moment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Titan Quest is not crap, it's a very solid action RPG. If you enjoy the genre, a good purchase. If you think a genre built on grind is insane, it won't change your mind.

(I enjoy action RPGs for exactly as long as they can distract me from the futility of what I'm doing. For Titan's Quest, that was around five hours. (That's not a diss on the game, simply my problems with the genre. The game is good.))
    Last edited by Giaddon; 11-10-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
    Jagged Alliance 2 for $6.80 (or whatever that equates to in local currency) on Steam. Beats GOG. Tempted to pick it up just to see how well it plays after 10 years.
    For those of used across the pond it is cheaper at GetGames for £2.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruitbat View Post
    It used to be broken on Steam. I don't remember what exactly, but something to do with cash i think; perhaps infinite money?

Ended up buying it on GoG just so I had a copy that worked properly. Not sure if the Steam version is fixed now or what.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Titan Quest, eh? Worth the 5 bones for it and the expansion thingy?
    steam

Network Hub
    Titan Quest and Immortal Throne are worth it for the cash, yeah. Very nice action RPGs, but yes, quite grindy, and the first proper boss is BRUTALLY difficult if you don't take exactly the right build, so it's worth grabbing a friend and killing him co-op.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    and the first proper boss is BRUTALLY difficult if you don't take exactly the right build
    Eh, that pretty much kills it for me. I hate having to spend a lot effort on min/max-ing, so I'll be passing on this one.

Network Hub
    titan quest is crap unless you like clicking on things and taking their loot

i heard that's popular

i fucking hate the shit out of it though
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Who counts as the first proper boss would you say? If we're thinking of the same person (or three persons) then it isn't too bad as they can be Benny Hill'd to a certain extent. I mean, I'm pretty sure my build was crap (Hunting with Rogue as secondary class) but managed it. Then again seeing as I never played the game much further I may not be the best person at encouraging someone to buy it.

Network Hub
    The boss I'm thinking of is the centaur guy. And yeah, you can Benny Hill it, but it's a huge difficulty spike and unless you want to go back and grind the hell out of areas you've already cleared, you'll still be at a disadvantage. Which is a shame, because I found the rest of the game pretty enjoyable.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Eh, five bucks isn't too bad as long as I get the equivalent amount of joy I'd receive from a similarly-priced object, like a decent sandwich or pair of silky smooth socks.
    steam

Network Hub
    Oh for the asking price it's a steal. But it is what it is: It is the sort of thing that those who like this sort of thing will like. It won't win the genre any converts in the same way that, say, Torchlight did. But for five bucks it's a pretty good bargain.

I much preferred Titan Quest over Torchlight _and_ the original Diablo games (which admittedly I only played many years after release) - go figure! Definitely worth a fiver.

P.