Page 569 of 589 FirstFirst ... 69469519559567568569570571579 ... LastLast
Results 11,361 to 11,380 of 11773

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Vanities actually had the series greatest concentration of actual assassinations, for a game with Assassin in the name, that wasn't insignificant.
    Admittedly it's been a while, but all I remember is "...was that it?" for both of them. I've never really been that bothered by the franchise moving towards straight-up action, though. (After all, I'm that guy who liked AC3, and would rate it much, much higher than Far Cry 3 without hesitation.)
    I post photos here. I write stories here. I'm on Twitter here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Spintires is 20% off on Nuuvem, and its base price is already lower than Steam's. However, this is region-locked, so this offer is only good for us South Americans.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    The Banner Saga is finally on sale on GoG (afaik, the only place I can get it Steam-free). Hurrah!
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    PC Gamer's last giveaway is actually a very good one: GTR Evolution, one of the add-on packs for Race07, and it apparently also gives you the base Race07 game (I haven't claimed the key since I already have the game so I'm not completely sure about this). Great racing games that everyone with even a passing interest on driving games should have. BundleStars also has a pretty good sale on other SimBin games, including GTR2 and GTL.

(edit: 1k posts! whee!)
    Last edited by Faldrath; 23-07-2014 at 05:27 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is free on Origin until the 31st. Redeem code "I-LOVE-THE-SIMS".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection is free on Origin until the 31st. Redeem code "I-LOVE-THE-SIMS".
    Yup! For anyone wondering, that's the base game and around 18 expansion packs, absolutely free.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    Yup! For anyone wondering, that's the base game and around 18 expansion packs, absolutely free.
    Smells like a Faustian deal. I mean it is Satan's own download manager, right?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'd get the sims 2, it's a nice toy house building program.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

The weekly GOG sale, this one Linux-themed, includes Bionic Dues for 4 bucks. I still haven't played it, because I'm a bad person, but I remember that some people *cough*Vinraith*cough* were holding off near release because it was Steam-only. This appears no longer to be the case, unless there's something nobody's told me about GOG. Sorry if this is old news.

Lots of other interesting stuff there, including Kentucky Route Zero (but still $17.49), Don't Starve, Spacechem, Colonization (the old one), Pirates! Gold, and... that's all I got, but I'm sure someone's favourite game is in there. I wouldn't normally report the GOG sale, because everyone knows about it at this point. Four days to run.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    The weekly GOG sale, this one Linux-themed, includes Bionic Dues for 4 bucks. I still haven't played it, because I'm a bad person, but I remember that some people *cough*Vinraith*cough* were holding off near release because it was Steam-only. This appears no longer to be the case, unless there's something nobody's told me about GOG. Sorry if this is old news.
    Yeah, Arcen managed to get a non-Steam Linux update method going awhile back, at which point they released everything that had been Steam-only to Humble and GOG. That's actually why I was content to pick up Last Federation on release but, to be honest, I haven't actually made it back for Bionic Dues yet. I suppose this sale might be a good moment to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I suppose this sale might be a good moment to do so.
    I found it disapointing, yes it has lovely mech customisation, but after making a nuclear overkill splash weapon from a siege mech, and pumping a few others with stealth so they can hack and kill away in safety there's little reason to really play.

You either strategise well or screw it up and get cornered and its a rolling failure hill.. I'm being unfair, I think I'm just grumpy because the camera keep centring and I don't want it to.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I found it disapointing, yes it has lovely mech customisation, but after making a nuclear overkill splash weapon from a siege mech, and pumping a few others with stealth so they can hack and kill away in safety there's little reason to really play.

You either strategise well or screw it up and get cornered and its a rolling failure hill.. I'm being unfair, I think I'm just grumpy because the camera keep centring and I don't want it to.
    Please don't be grumpy - turn that nonsense off in the options.

It's a meaningless thing to say, what with this being a first post, but I love the game; it's entry-level arcen, for good and for bad.

It is simple (it's essentially a puzzle-game), and you're either OP or losing, but the overarching strategy, the varied exo-pilots, the game customisation (where you can gammy up your chances for a challenge outside of any overload-comfort zone) and the short burstability of it make it a regular go-to game for me.

I do wonder if the essence of the game is summed up by the laughably epic title-screen music (again, options) and there's a Space Rangers 2 thing happening here for me, because like that game there's a definite you-get-out-what-you-put-in necessity to enjoying it.

Most of the game is customising. It's hilarious really. If you get nonsense range on wall piercing weapons or incredible splash on a big gun. It's very much go OP or go home. I like the scout lady commander, skipping missions to get the epic chassis or skip by missions you can't handle.

Obscure Node
    Yes. OP is the player's guide to their build, but then OP is very much the game's direction. From each exo-pilot's OP, singular trait down to your OP, lowliest gun, the game’s designed so that you are vastly superior to the bots you're facing. I agree: to win is to keep that advantage.

The design works, I think, as the game is essentially a collection of randomised puzzles with difficulty spikes. You'll be able to take out a whole mission with a tactic unusable in the next because of the different synergy of that mission’s bots. With a build-dependent main tactic lost, your OP advantage is gone. Lose battles (or pick missions poorly) and you lose ground in the war, because you've diminished your OP advantage at the grand strategy level as well as in every subsequent battle.

The design stumbles in the exo customisation. It's not so much how many missions I'll play in a session as how much gear management down-time I'll endure. As you say, there's much of that. After each mission you're thrown exo-parts that are a chore to allot and yet the game's OP-drive necessitates min-maxing, and it's a mood-breaker. There's the elation in solving the puzzle of a difficult mission into, say, a dread only slightly less than that in returning after a six-month absence to a rammed-full Pocket Dimension in Dungeons of Dredmor, only here it's after every mission (of which there are up to 30 to 50 a run). Winning a challenging mission is best used as a natural break to the session. Move on to a different party because this one's getting pooped.

It's a flawed experiment but so nearly a great game. When the most fun to be derived from it comes with a foresighted, personalised game-settings customisation and a personally fun/challenging commander-mech party, it's hit and miss to get into. I’d recommend new players to make use of the achievements in lieu of this required foresight, which are stored in-game and presumably present in the GOG release.
    Last edited by Cush; 26-07-2014 at 05:53 AM.

Obscure Node
    I'm sure you've read the origin support horror stories, but let's be honest, at least origin HAS support. Try getting a hold of a human at Valve.

Seems totally legit then

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's botting season, it seems like.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gruevy View Post
    I'm sure you've read the origin support horror stories, but let's be honest, at least origin HAS support. Try getting a hold of a human at Valve.
    A while back, I lost my steam password and access to the email it was tied to. Valve emailed me back a day later and I had access to my account in two.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The HD update of Space Rangers is in Steam's weekly sale - 75% off is £3.99 in the UK

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214730/

I know little of the 'HD' bit but the original game is considered highly by many people? :)

p.s. I believe all they did is add 'pirate' to races and more resolution support, all the lovely glitches of the original are still present and correct I assume?
    Last edited by trjp; 28-07-2014 at 08:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    I don't recall Space Rangers 2 being buggy as such, but it does have text adventures amusingly translated from Russian. It's one of my all time favourite games, might give the HD version a try at that price.