Page 571 of 596 FirstFirst ... 71471521561569570571572573581 ... LastLast
Results 11,401 to 11,420 of 11919

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    We are talking about a game that's on sale, this is a good day!
    Indeed, I think discussion of the relative merits of games that are on sale fall firmly into the category of "on topic," and being as I started the thread way back when I'd like to think I have at least a modicum of authority about that. :)

Incidentally, thanks for the details folks. It doesn't sound like something I'm interested in, but I appreciate the responses regardless.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Kingdom Rush is definitely about as conventional tower defence as it gets, and yes, it was originally a flash game on the interwebs (still is, AFAIK) but it's one of the best examples of the form there is. Quite possibly the best. (EDIT: On any platform, that is. I'd rate it markedly higher than Defence Grid, say, much as I liked that game.) It's a phenomenal balancing act between making every level a puzzle - what is the "correct" selection of towers and upgrades and the optimum position for each one - and pitching the difficulty at just the right level so that even if you don't do it absolutely perfectly you can still score three stars, feel like you really put in the effort and that you're being appropriately rewarded. (And manly men who don't feel suitably challenged can always try the higher settings.)

I've lost count of the number of tower defence games I've played where inside a few minutes the game makes me feel ha ha ha oh you loser you're doing it wrong try again - that any deviation from the "correct" solution instantly becomes so un-fun I just don't want to keep playing. I don't understand where I've gone wrong, and restarting simply feels like a chore. Kingdom Rush blows them all away - the presentation, the difficulty curve, it's all geared so that losing still feels like super happy fun times because tons of little men died in amusing ways and things went boom, restarting is a chance to do it all again but better, and scraping through with the bare minimum for those three stars still makes you feel awesome. It's simply a thing of beauty. It's so well-tuned the IAP shop on the mobile versions is completely and utterly superfluous. Fact.

Oh, and Factions is basically Rush 1.2, yes, and it does very little wildly new. New levels, new towers and hero units but the basic structure's still the same and a lot of the towers offer very similar functions to the original set. It's still great, mind.
    Last edited by Eight Rooks; 30-07-2014 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    Kingdom Rush is definitely about as conventional tower defence as it gets, and yes, it was originally a flash game on the interwebs (still is, AFAIK) but it's one of the best examples of the form there is. Quite possibly the best.
    Yeah, I didn't mean that as a way to demean it - I think we're all way past the point where a game being flash version is reason enough to label it as crap, but it's probably worth pointing it out anyway.

I had this recollection of playing it years ago and for whatever reason not liking it that much and quitting very early in the game. That was years before I played DG, maybe I should try it again - if it's still up on Armor Games, the only thing stopping me would be the size of my backlog.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Kingdom rush forces you to accept that you can't just use the one obvious 'kill box' and succeed. You need to strip armour, stun enemies, cluster them with slowdown, drop splash damage on clusters and tie people up with soldiers. Oh and be ready to pursue breakthroughs and all with not quite enough money, if you press send wave early enough you get free gold which might help you with the enemies nearly in your back line.

It's a juggle.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

You need to strip armour, stun enemies, cluster them with slowdown, drop splash damage on clusters
    Sounds a lot like Defender's Quest?
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Sounds a lot like Defender's Quest?
    No significant grind, you get stars from victories which unlock perks, but all perks are turned off on the hardest 'iron' challenge anyway.

And placement is more limited, but yes, very similar.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Just don't do the RTS missions.
    God I hated those - I ran into one which was bloody impossible too - in fact I think that's where my first run through of the game ended in flames...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    You can ask them not to give you any when they offer you the tutorial one.

SPECOP-STHELI-NE850F supposedly gets you 85% off Spec Ops: The Line at GMG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GameStop has a Summer Sale going on. Not sure how codes work and billing in relation to location outside the USA

http://www.gamestop.com/pcgames

You get a Origin, Steam or uPlay code.

Mass Effect Trilogy - $10
    SimCity - $12
    Titanfall Season Pass - $20
    The Bureau - $5
    Company of Heroes 2 - $20
    + Others.

Whatever happened to the Amazon.com summer sale? It used to be good but now it kinda disappeared?
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

this offer is still avail or not
    please tell

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dungeon Colony - on Greenlight - is soliciting votes with a PWYW here

http://www.dungeoncolony.com/Download

You can download it and play the sandbox mode for free - it's Java-based (you'll need a JVM installed) - it's sort of Dungeon Master smashed into Minecraft with some Towns for good measure I guess

I got overrun on Easy - the UI needs a BIT of work - it has potential tho!

Network Hub
    www.iracing.com/nurburgring1000 - 3 months free on iRacing. Come and get it.

It's clear that they are suggesting Dungeon Keeperness while avoiding infringing in any sense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's clear that they are suggesting Dungeon Keeperness while avoiding infringing in any sense.
    I have to admit, I didn't really get far enough into it to see the DK aspects (creature management etc.) - my 45 mins was really just making stuff/gathering resources and then not being ready when the bad guys turned-up.

It's an RTS with Minecrafting - basically - tho there's a lot of promise in some of the things in there, the UI currently gets-in-the-way more than helps (tho I like the crafting system - you just put stuff in your inventory into a pattern, hit a button, make it)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm are 75% off on Steam's weekly deals. Get them!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Whatever happened to the Amazon.com summer sale? It used to be good but now it kinda disappeared?
    Some guy named Tony was in charge of Amazon's DD branch. He was active on CAG, GAF, Leddit, even Gamespot. Was very friendly and open to suggestions. He was responsible for those fantastic deals. Have you noticed how Kingdoms of Amalur suddenly went on sale everywhere many months after the studio's bankruptcy? Tony was responsible for that - he contacted the current owners and explained how deals work.

Then he moved on with his job and the new people in charge suck.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Then he moved on with his job and the new people in charge suck.
    Cui bono - must have been hired by Valve then.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Jagged Alliance 2 and Silent Storm are 75% off on Steam's weekly deals. Get them!
    Indeed! Obey Faldrath, you won't regret it!
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more