Page 10 of 577 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110510 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Bargains

Banned
    Didn't realise Gamersgate had Abomination: The Nemesis Project. Half price right now, at 4.50. Great game. A bit old and clunky. I'd describe it as a psychedelic Jagged Alliance.

(Maybe you can pick it up digitally someplace else. Anyone know? I certainly imagine you could find a real life disc and box for that price on Amazon or somewhere.)

Last edited by amandachen; 20-06-2011 at 06:44 PM. Reason: added pic

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Taking the Descents, Fallouts, Freespaces, Sacrifice, and Giants as givens, is there anything else in that GOG promo I should be paying attention to? It's certainly a good moment to grab fiddle-free digital copies of some of my favorite old classics, but I wouldn't mind finding something I missed back in the day as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Taking the Descents, Fallouts, Freespaces, Sacrifice, and Giants as givens, is there anything else in that GOG promo I should be paying attention to? It's certainly a good moment to grab fiddle-free digital copies of some of my favorite old classics, but I wouldn't mind finding something I missed back in the day as well.
    You didn't mention MDK games, so I'm mentioning them just in case. Bizarre action games from the makers of Sacrifice and Giants. Definitely very unique. Not played them much myself but they've always been quite loved.

Die by the Sword is, or at least was back in the day, quite very fun. The whole gimmick of the game is that your weapon has free movement that, via mouse and certain button combinations, allows you to swing or thrust it in every way possible. To go with this, the game models limbs chopping up etc instead of a traditional health system, so fights can sometimes finish in a matter of seconds as you lob someone's head off (or they lob off yours) or last ages as your enemy channels Monty Python's Black Knight and just won't give up. The story mode is rather short and there's not much plot or anything, but there's also a separate battle mode which allows you to choose your character (each with their own behaviour and weapons) and pits you against others in different types of arenas. I don't know what the expansion that the GOG version comes with contains. I'm not sure how well it's aged but it's certainly $3 worth.

Shattered Steel is an enjoyable-enough mech romp, more focused on action and wrecking damage rather than simulating a giant robot. The graphics were fairly crude even back then (one games magazine described the enemies as frozen turkeys come to life) but the action is done rather well. Not a masterpiece and not really a lost cult classic either, but if you enjoy shooting things down with a mech then it's not a bad choice.

SHOGO: Mobile Armor Division is an anime FPS. A lot of people love it and it's a cult classic; I never got into it massively myself. It is, however, a very unique FPS because its overall style is so far away from your usual FPS fare. And if you're going to stick vehicle sections in your games, a humongous mecha with a big sword isn't a bad choice.
    Last edited by Flint; 20-06-2011 at 05:02 PM.

Please somebody persuade me to buy Sacrifice? It sounds interesting, but I have this problem where I find old-ish games really hard to get into if their interfaces are frustrating - I seem to have been spoiled by modern interfaces. How old does Sacrifice feel when playing? Graphically, will it hurt my eyes?

I bought it about 3 years ago and couldn't get into it then. So maybe give the demo a try...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cowthief skank View Post
    How old does Sacrifice feel when playing? Graphically, will it hurt my eyes?
    It was a thing of great beauty when released. Remember guys, you needed a huge chunk of VRAM in order to use the ultra-high quality textures (or whatever the game calls them)? 256 Megs or something. I remember a lot of people complaining that they needed better cards. Check the screenshots, cowthief. The game looks a bit muddy and old nowadays. I tried playing it again a couple of months ago and just felt queasy from the graphics (and you really notice those texture seams).
    Last edited by amandachen; 20-06-2011 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cowthief skank View Post
    Please somebody persuade me to buy Sacrifice? It sounds interesting, but I have this problem where I find old-ish games really hard to get into if their interfaces are frustrating - I seem to have been spoiled by modern interfaces. How old does Sacrifice feel when playing? Graphically, will it hurt my eyes?
    Eh, by 2000 interfaces were already something you'd see today. Sacrifice isn't graphically terrible at all and it doesn't feel old - hell, you could release it today as-is and it would feel completely new.

I never formed a massive attachment to it but that's because I've never been much of a RTS man and in its heart Sacrifice will always be a RTS, even if a very different one. I did enjoy it quite a bit though (just never got even near completing it) and the overall design, from visuals to writing to gameplay, is still utterly wonderful.

Banned
    Sacrifice has great gameplay, but it feels kinda ripped off from Julian Gollop's Magic & Mayhem.

Overlord II and Overlord Complete Pack are the daily deals on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/2464/

Are any of these worth getting?

Banned
    Lionheart is one of the games on sale at gog.com right now. The first half of the game (or maybe 80%) is really excellent. Certainly worth getting at that price if you're an RPG fan. It starts out looking the sort of game to rival Planescape Torment, but eventually you reach a point where you quit the game and weep.

And Overlord? If it was me, I'd get Overlord II. The game's massive and a bit more polished than the first game.
    Last edited by amandachen; 20-06-2011 at 06:20 PM. Reason: added a pic

@amandachen

Umm, why will it ultimately make me break into manly, manly tears?

Banned
    Well, Lionheart starts out like Baldur's Gate or Planescape Torment, but then becomes more of an Icewind Dale.

From what I remember, around halfway through the game gets more and more action-heavy; however, the game's combat system is too wonky to really support so much fighting and the game becomes really tedious.

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by amandachen View Post
    Didn't realise Gamersgate had Abomination: The Nemesis Project. Half price right now, at 4.50. Great game. A bit old and clunky. I'd describe it as a psychedelic Jagged Alliance.
    There needs to be a modern remake of this, immediately.

I just bought FO:T, Sacrifice and Freespace 2 thanks to the GOG sale. Haven't played any of them, but I think I'm in for a treat.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Lionheart was partly developed by Black Isle, and starts out as a quality RPG in an inventive and interesting setting. You spend a good few hours at the start of the game exploring an alternate reality 16th century Barcelona, with all the sidequests and conversations you'd expect from a Black Isle game. Once you leave Barcelona it becomes a linear hack & slash and the quality goes downhill fast, as amandachen says you eventually reach a point where enough is enough. For $3 I'd recommend it to fans of the old Interplay RPGs, if you don't mind buying a game that's only half good.

Thanks for the replies regarding Sacrifice. I think I will give it a miss for the time being - it is not exactly expensive even at full price, and I have such a backlog, including a whole host of RTS games I have yet to sink any time into...

Any opinions on Conquest of the New World? I seem to recall having heard good things, but I'd be curious to know how it holds up now.

Also just wondering if it's necessary to play freespace to fully enjoy freespace 2, any opinions?

Everyone needs to buy Kingpin from GOG so we can have an RPS Bagman game. Hop to it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Cable View Post
    Also just wondering if it's necessary to play freespace to fully enjoy freespace 2, any opinions?
    It's not necessary, but they are both excellent games and I certainly recommend playing them both in order. If you enjoy one, it's safe to say you'll probably enjoy them both.
    Last edited by Icarus; 20-06-2011 at 11:21 PM.