Page 100 of 571 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150200 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 11411

Thread: PC Bargains

Activated Node
    Should I buy Baldur's Gate 1 from GoG? I'm trying to make use of the GoG sale and I already own BGII... I haven't gotten a chance to put any real time into it but I thought maybe if I start with the first one I'll be able to invest myself in the story and understand the game rules a bit better (I'm familiar with table top games.. just not AD&D). How does the difficulty scale? Is the story worth it? Will it improve the BGII experience?

And if not, what games do you guys think would be good to get from GoG? I already own PST, Alpha Centauri, Empire Earth Gold, HoMM and Fallout 1 and 2.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by CrinnyCow View Post
    Should I buy Baldur's Gate 1 from GoG? I'm trying to make use of the GoG sale and I already own BGII... I haven't gotten a chance to put any real time into it but I thought maybe if I start with the first one I'll be able to invest myself in the story and understand the game rules a bit better (I'm familiar with table top games.. just not AD&D). How does the difficulty scale? Is the story worth it? Will it improve the BGII experience?

And if not, what games do you guys think would be good to get from GoG? I already own PST, Alpha Centauri, Empire Earth Gold, HoMM and Fallout 1 and 2.
    Just grab Planescape ... > all

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I already own PST
    I've never played anything in the BG series, but here's a thread on GoG recommendations.

Personally, I had a wishlist that I emptied out on the sale; the RPGs I considered worthy of my moneys were Arcanum and Ultima VII

Lesser Hivemind Node

I would say that BG2 is the better overall experience of the pair, but not by much - BG1 is definitely worth playing, and arguably has a slightly more coherent plot. Difficulty-wise, BG1 is significantly harder, particularly at lower levels.

Also worth noting the Tutu mod which lets you play BG1 in the BG2 engine (if you own both, obviously)

So yeah, worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova View Post
    Tempting.
    I've never bought something there. D2D is not a steam-like system, but more like GetGames or GoG where you get the game files, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    You could always add your key to origin, Oh right that's mandatory.
    Yes just activated my Crysis 2 license key straight into Origin. You can download the game files from D2D but might as well just cut out the middle man and do it all from the Origin client.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    Baldur's Gate II > Baldur's Gate > Icewind Dale > Icewind Dale II >>>>>>>>>>> Planescape: Torment.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Baldur's Gate II > Baldur's Gate > Icewind Dale > Icewind Dale II >>>>>>>>>>> Planescape: Torment.
    Interesting, why is IWD 2 ranked lower than 1, out of curiosity?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Because it's more repetitive and boring. And if you want to play a 3/3.5E game then Temple of Elemental Evil is better. Unfortunate, really. It's not a bad game at all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    ID2 has a lot of issues, especially pathfinding ones. In terms of gameplay I'd say Wizardry I correct except I'd rate ID1 above BG1 and PS:T above that. Basically, BG2 wins on gameplay, but PS:T wins on story, characters, etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Basically, BG2 wins on gameplay, but PS:T wins on story, characters, etc.
    Which, incidentally, explains why I put it last.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    ID2 has a lot of issues, especially pathfinding ones. In terms of gameplay I'd say Wizardry I correct except I'd rate ID1 above BG1 and PS:T above that. Basically, BG2 wins on gameplay, but PS:T wins on story, characters, etc.
    I'd put PS:T right where Wizardry has it, but then I've never been able to drag myself beyond the first few hours.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd put PS:T right where Wizardry has it, but then I've never been able to drag myself beyond the first few hours.
    I've never actually understood the 'first few hours' complaint - I know it's so pervasive as to label me the exception but I enjoyed the worldbuilding right from the start, even if it is quite (very) slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    I've never actually understood the 'first few hours' complaint - I know it's so pervasive as to label me the exception but I enjoyed the worldbuilding right from the start, even if it is quite (very) slow.
    I suspect that having run several outer planes campaigns in the pen and paper game somewhat alters my perception of these things. I was fairly disappointed by the world building, to be honest. Somehow they managed to make Concordant Opposition dreadfully boring.

Dotemu has a lot of Deals at the Moment , has anyone ever used it?

Especially can i redeem the games on steam or do i have to use a separate client?
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

Quote Originally Posted by Arona Daal View Post
    Dotemu has a lot of Deals at the Moment , has anyone ever used it?

Especially can i redeem the games on steam or do i have to use a separate client?
    I haven't used it, but my understanding is that DotEmu uses the GOG model: 100% DRM-free.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I suspect that having run several outer planes campaigns in the pen and paper game somewhat alters my perception of these things. I was fairly disappointed by the world building, to be honest. Somehow they managed to make Concordant Opposition dreadfully boring.
    That certainly makes sense. It's my only experience of the setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    That certainly makes sense. It's my only experience of the setting.
    I'm sure it was hugely novel for most people that played it, and I suspect that has a lot to do with many people's affection for it (and my lack thereof).

Found A Vampyre Story at DotEmu for 2.25, which looks very appealing.
    http://www.dotemu.com/en/download-ga...-vampyre-story

Has anyone played it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Anomaly warzone earth is 2. 10 on GamersGate http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-AWE/a...-warzone-earth
    But I'm posting because of Shift 2 is 9. 98, should I as racing driver with a short attention span but a love for non looping track races be interested? I've still not finished Grid, Dirt (1&2) and I still play outrun coast 2 coast more than my "favourite racer" bumout paradise.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Anomaly warzone earth is 2. 10 on GamersGate http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-AWE/a...-warzone-earth
    But I'm posting because of Shift 2 is 9. 98, should I as racing driver with a short attention span but a love for non looping track races be interested? I've still not finished Grid, Dirt (1&2) and I still play outrun coast 2 coast more than my "favourite racer" bumout paradise.
    I'm wondering about this too. I've heard some nice things about Shift 2 (mostly via Flash of Steel, oddly enough) but like Helio haven't really properly finished Grid or the 2 "good" Dirt games. Advice welcome.