Page 13 of 577 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113513 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Bargains

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Web Cole View Post
    Can anyone put me onto a way I can get Starcraft 2 for cheaps? I'm talking <20 mark. For a game that came out like a year ago its still ridonculously expensive almost everywhere I look. (Also, can't be 2nd hand 'cause of battle.net activation as far as I understand it.)
    It looks like it is still at a silly price ... http://www.gamestracker.com/buy-star...-prices-pc.htm

Network Hub
    Star Ruler is today's Daily Deal on Steam. Back when this game first dropped I heard something about spaceships the size of solar systems capable of firing planets out of their mass drivers. Did I hear correctly?

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Star Ruler is today's Daily Deal on Steam. Back when this game first dropped I heard something about spaceships the size of solar systems capable of firing planets out of their mass drivers. Did I hear correctly?
    Yep. Ships can be set to ANY scale you like. The standard fighters are about 0.5, cruisers 12 and battleships 50. Just remember that superhuge ships are vanity projects as they're super expensive and slow to build. Unfortuntaly, there's a limit of about 60 components (guns, engines, life support, command and control) on all designs, and most worthwile designs wil have at most six weapons as component scale is also a factor. Modding your way around this is pretty easy, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    So I googled Star Ruler and saw this:

WHAT THE FUCK
    Sold!

(it has Dyson spehers too!)

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam is $6 at D2D. If I'm not mistaken, I should be able to just plug the code into my Steam copy. Can anyone confirm?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    [snip]
    WHAT THE FUCK
    Sold!

Holy frijole! That's a biggun.
    Last edited by ColOfNature; 24-06-2011 at 07:59 PM.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Holy frijole! That's a biggun.
    You should see the size of my other "spaceship"
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Network Hub
    Holy hell. Be right back, having Gurren Lagann flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by raddevon View Post
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Vietnam is $6 at D2D. If I'm not mistaken, I should be able to just plug the code into my Steam copy. Can anyone confirm?
    I'm fairly certain that Vietnam is just a key that you activate in-game. You can check by clicking the Vietnam link in BC2. It should just ask for a keycode.

I got my copy of Vietnam off of EA, and it runs on my Steam copy.

Banned
    The Stronghold Collection is good value for $8 http://www.direct2drive.com/8785/pro...ction-Download

But it's 8 quid if you're in the U.K. So a big BOO! to that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Holy shit! I thought the first ship was big...! I'll wait to see if my new router comes tomorrow so I can try the demo, otherwise screw it, I'll buy it.

As for Vietnam, as far as I'm aware, it can be bought from pretty much anywhere and it be added to the base game. I don't think all the pairings you can think of do entirely match up, so do check, but otherwise it should be fine. Whilst $6 is a good price for the expansion, my word of warning - it is faster paced than the base game and the maps are...questionable. Of the five you get, Operation Hastings is the best in CQ and Rush. Phu Bai Valley is close behind in both. The Chao Son Temple is rather forgettable in both modes, although rush is slightly better but not great. Hill 137 is good in rush and okay in CQ, probs third best map in the pack. The fifth map, Vantage Point though, is one of the worst maps I've played in any FPS. It's an awful meat grinder that ends in rush based on whether or not the attackers can so much as break free from their spawn and in conquest WILL end once a team has captured all 3 points, as A and C are immediately next to each team's main base.

As a diversion, and a cheap one at that, it does the job. That being said, once I'd done everything I wanted to do, I quickly reverted to normal. And have not gone back. It doesn't hold up to the base game. I would like to warn you weapon wise though - the M40 sniper rifle is incredibly powerful and has a long 1HK range. The semi-auto snipers I think are pretty bad in comparison and against the assault rifles. I also recommend you check out the engineer's other SMGs. Whilst the PSH might look the most powerful, the others can easily match or supersede it.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNoghri View Post
    I'm fairly certain that Vietnam is just a key that you activate in-game. You can check by clicking the Vietnam link in BC2. It should just ask for a keycode.

I got my copy of Vietnam off of EA, and it runs on my Steam copy.
    The first Stronghold is an excellent game. Haven't played the rest (I've heard that Stronghold 2 just wasnt as good) but I might get that pack just for Stronghold Crusader alone :P

I can confirm the BFBC2 Vietnam on D2D will work with BFBC2 on Steam. Thanks, DarkNoghri!

Anyone have any inside info on the Summer Steam sale? Was that a one-time thing, or are they just tweaking the timing this year?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    In lurking NeoGAF, someone recently discovered a Star Wars collection has been added to the Steam registry with a particular mark referring to "Summer 2011". There have also been some achievements and developer talk about content for the summer. It would make sense that there's a summer sale, but as to when, no idea.

It may be worth creating a separate thread when the time comes, so that this can still be used for the deals found elsewhere and what not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raddevon View Post
    Anyone have any inside info on the Summer Steam sale? Was that a one-time thing, or are they just tweaking the timing this year?
    I almost hope it was a one time thing, do we really need two giant Steam sales per year? I've still got a stable full of stuff from last years summer sale, to say nothing of Christmas. :)

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I almost hope it was a one time thing, do we really need two giant Steam sales per year? I've still got a stable full of stuff from last years summer sale, to say nothing of Christmas. :)
    vinraith,

You know that need and want are two different things. Steam's forums are full of people speculating which games will be in the (hoped for) Summer sale. While the daily deals might be Steam's replacement for a month's long sale, I'd imagine we'll have something resembling last year's sale as we approach the end of various publishers' financial quarter/year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorant Texan View Post
    vinraith,

You know that need and want are two different things. Steam's forums are full of people speculating which games will be in the (hoped for) Summer sale. While the daily deals might be Steam's replacement for a month's long sale, I'd imagine we'll have something resembling last year's sale as we approach the end of various publishers' financial quarter/year.
    Conveying tone over the inernet is always perilous indeed. The smiley was meant to make it clear that I was (mostly) joking, though I really DO have some impulse control problems when it comes to good game sales. I certainly wouldn't want to deprive anyone else of a good sale just because of that, though!

vinraith,

I apologize if you thought I was in anyway calling you out. As you state, tone is difficult to portray, for my use of italics as opposed to emoticons, bears this out. We are brothers in this lack of impulse control, for my want of a Summer sale, is offset for my need for games to be full price at this current juncture(finances, and diminishing HD space ;)).

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorant Texan View Post
    vinraith,

I apologize if you thought I was in anyway calling you out. As you state, tone is difficult to portray, for my use of italics as opposed to emoticons, bears this out. We are brothers in this lack of impulse control, for my want of a Summer sale, is offset for my need for games to be full price at this current juncture(finances, and diminishing HD space ;)).
    So I misread you misreading me? Classic. The internet is fun, isn't it?