Page 160 of 577 FirstFirst ... 60110150158159160161162170210260 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,200 of 11523

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Sorry if I'm being dense but I don't see what difference it makes if someone posts an affiliate link? I've never knowingly posted one, but I've never knowingly got all in a tizzy when I've spotted one either.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    That's because I didn't notice it. My ignorance, again, doesn't make the use of aff links (without clarification) any better.
    Sure, but it could contribute to an impression that (unflagged) affiliate links are okay here. So to then call someone a Misleading Dick, when you do notice one a page later, seems extra-harsh.

That aside though, I'd be interested to know what the general feeling on affiliate links is here. It seems like most people agree that affiliate links can be posted but should always be explicitly mentioned?

I guess personally it doesn't bother me at all, because a) there's already not much quality filtering going on when it comes to posting deals here, so the 'conflict of interest' thing doesn't seem all that relevant, and b) affiliate links are (as far as I know) always identifiable from the URL, so anyone who doesn't trust the recommendations of affiliate-linkers can avoid them.

Obviously if someone is falsely enthusiastic about a game in order to get some affiliate click-throughs, that's a problem, but I guess I assume that anyone doing it at a scale that would make them non-trivial money would be pretty easy to notice and deal with.

Still, I can understand simplifying the whole thing by making it bad form to post affiliate links at all. Not sure about it being really bad if you don't mention it, and fine if you do, though. But it does make sense from a certain perspective.

Either way, I think if there is a consensus against affiliate linking, there should be some sort of written rule. Or an unofficial FAQ entry or something, just saying "it's not against RPS rules, but it is considered bad form here". You can't expect everyone else to share your view on how and when it is okay, even if it's the majority view here, so it's a bit much to jump on them when they may not know they're breaking etiquette.

edit: didn't see your post, Col. I'll chalk that up as one vote for 'not a problem'.
    Last edited by MD!; 06-04-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    The general consensus I've seen here is that if you're using an affiliate link without mentioning it, you're kinda being a bit rude, especially as most people would overlook the URL's minutae and click it anyway (the important stuff is title, store, price)

It's not that we don't like them, it's that it's just polite to say you're going to profit from that link.

I was a bit OTT, though. I'll admit that much.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I was a bit OTT, though.
    What.... Aww... *puts out torch and lowers pitchfork*

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Sorry if I'm being dense but I don't see what difference it makes if someone posts an affiliate link? I've never knowingly posted one, but I've never knowingly got all in a tizzy when I've spotted one either.
    I'm happy to click one, as long as it is mentioned.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub AlonePlusEasyTarget's Avatar
    So Operation Flashpoint Red River is going for $4 now. Is it good for a bit of co-op fun? Anyone tried it before?

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/op...oint-red-river
    7:03 AM - Alone + Easy Target: sscscccccacescsqaqdsqsqqsqqqeeeeeeeeeeeseesqecccee eeeedsssssssssqeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeq
    7:03 AM - The Player of Games: Play by email, FPS edition

Steam|Last.FM

Quote Originally Posted by AlonePlusEasyTarget View Post
    So Operation Flashpoint Red River is going for $4 now. Is it good for a bit of co-op fun? Anyone tried it before?

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/op...oint-red-river
    The first one (of the codemasters ones) annoyed the hell out of me by not letting you look around while driving.

I didn't really hate on the new Flashpoints like a lot of the older Flashpoint vets seemed to, although certainly a lot of the criticism levelled at them is overall quite fair.

Like Dragon Rising before it, it's a lot more focussed on infantry combat than old Flashpoint/ARMA is, and in terms of hardware you can forget about tanks and choppers etc - you drive a few jeeps and that's it. IMO though said combat feels a lot better (and the UI is substantially better) than that in ARMA.

Well worth $4 if you want what can perhaps be best described as a much less-linear (and less.... 'spammy') Call of Duty with plenty of open spaces and different angles of attack. The main downsides are that I don't know how much mod related stuff has been made for it and since the campaign isn't particularly long, once you've burned through it once or twice that's pretty much 'it'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I remember hearing that the squad AI can be pretty bad. Probably a lot more fun in co-op.

Network Hub
    Arkham City for £9.99 http://www.gamefly.co.uk/Download-Ba...ty-UK/5002191/, I have no idea how good their service is or how I am getting their promotional deals but this is the best price I have seen it.

Just want a download service I actually use to match it now.

Alan Wake for £15.40 seems quite good too http://www.gamefly.co.uk/Download-Alan-Wake-UK/5003525/
    Last edited by goatmonkey; 06-04-2012 at 09:22 PM.

Gamefly took over D2D, I own about 20 games with D2D but I can only access one... What happened to taking over?

Fuck gamefly, serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Gamefly took over D2D, I own about 20 games with D2D but I can only access one... What happened to taking over?

Fuck gamefly, serious.
    They said some games wouldn't be available when it returned, or some wouldn't be available for some time.

GameStop have Anno 2070 Deluxe for download at $18.69.

Seen here with affiliate link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=318972

They said some games wouldn't be available when it returned, or some wouldn't be available for some time.
    Okay, to be fair, I just checked it and a few games are back, my issue was they were selling the games that "weren't available", and a good number of the games I still don't have available I could go and buy off game fly. In other words D2D customers were not getting fair treatm,ent, how much effort would it have taken to add a new product to an account?

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobtree View Post
    GameStop have Anno 2070 Deluxe for download at $18.69.

Seen here with affiliate link: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/...d.php?t=318972
    Whats the state of the DRM of this game? I really enjoyed 1404, will I get more enjoyment out of this one?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Thanks for that. For anyone wondering, I'm from the UK and the UK site isn't selling it cheap, however I went through the US site and it took my to Impulse which is now wanting to charge me about £13 for it. Not bad at all.

Doesn't seem available now. Maybe a proxy would work.
    Last edited by Sketch; 07-04-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    So, Wizardry, what kind of games are those then?

Quote Originally Posted by CrinnyCow View Post
    Whats the state of the DRM of this game? I really enjoyed 1404, will I get more enjoyment out of this one?
    DRM is Tagés for activation and the mild form of UbiDRM (i.e. offline functionality exists, but removes some features). If your net connection is stable and you don't upgrade your PC every five minutes, you'll be fine.

As for what it is compared to 1404 - it's a little more complex in places, but largely the same game in new clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Okay, to be fair, I just checked it and a few games are back, my issue was they were selling the games that "weren't available", and a good number of the games I still don't have available I could go and buy off game fly. In other words D2D customers were not getting fair treatm,ent, how much effort would it have taken to add a new product to an account?
    Hey, it affects me too. Seem to have 'lost' my Sims 2 games.

I don't know how Tages is these days but I had to crack my copy of Settlers 6 back in the day. It didn't recognize my discs as authentic. Needless to say, I was rather pissed off.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    I don't know how Tages is these days but I had to crack my copy of Settlers 6 back in the day. It didn't recognize my discs as authentic. Needless to say, I was rather pissed off.
    It's fine now, fully patch the game and it removes the DRM.

As for Anno 2070 - it doesn't need the disc at all. Tagés only activates the game, UbiDRM does the rest.