Results 3,761 to 3,780 of 11773

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Yeah, it's got Steam.

*rimshot*

Quote Originally Posted by Althea View Post
    Yeah, it's got Steam.

*rimshot*
    XD OK, thanks, guess I'll be getting it then. Some time ago I couldn't get Steam to work offline without being online first, but seems like they fixed it now, so... I'm OK with "Steam" as DRM. ^^

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    I think the Steam version is actually the only one left which has some form of DRM.

For those interested, Origin has a sale on with a number of titles 50% off, including Mass Erect, Dead SPAYSE MAHREENE and The Saboteur (which I need to get one day).

I picked up Mercenaries 2: World in Flames for 5.

Ugh, drinking and gog sales don't mix. I woke up today to find copies of Alpha Centuri and Dungeon Keeper 2 on my desktop.

I picked up Mercenaries 2: World in Flames for 5.
    My condolences. Play it with a gamepad if you can, or better yet on a console, or best of all, play the original Mercenaries instead.

There is some fun to be had with Mercs2, but it's an incredibly disappointing sequel.

Well, considering I haven't played the first nor have any ability to, Merc 2 will have to suffice :p

I'm thinking about buying Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood (spam: now looking for US smugglers in the Data Smuggling Ring!), Heliocentric above said one should probably play 2 then 1. Will that spoil the story, or make it hard to follow? I'm big on the experience, I wouldn't want to ruin the flow of the plot.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Just watched the 3 minute video and 1 can be passed over.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed #1 but I played in 2 hour(ha!) chunks between baby feeds. It didn't out stay its welcome, but one time I was home alone and dedicated 4 hours to it I was sick of it.

So either skip #1 or break it up, 2 tips:
    Avoid depending on counters, try for distracted hidden blade kills during melees.
    Screw the flags/feathers.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Can I play it strictly for the main plot, go through it quickly? How long would that take? (Not a speed run, but like you said, screw the flags/feathers?)

I really like the period and location of AC1, and I'd like to get to enjoy that, but it's hard to tell how much I'd enjoy it if the game makes it hard for me...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    It's not long, and the assassinations are worth it. Dare I say it but the actual assassinations are ssome of the best in the series.

It does indeed have some of the best content in the series, it's just sparce.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Final day of the Ubisoft sale on Steam gives us Anno 2070 at 50% off (which makes it €25 for the base game, €4 for the Eden DLC package, €2,50 for the Nordamark DLC package, and €4 for the Financial Crisis DLC package). I was hoping it would be M&M Heroes VI, as I've been meaning to get into some recent turn-based strategy again - but alas.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Final day of the Ubisoft sale on Steam gives us Anno 2070 at 50% off (which makes it €25 for the base game, €4 for the Eden DLC package, €2,50 for the Nordamark DLC package, and €4 for the Financial Crisis DLC package). I was hoping it would be M&M Heroes VI, as I've been meaning to get into some recent turn-based strategy again - but alas.
    I'd jump on that, myself, except that Anno 2070 has enough DRM problems without layering the Steam client on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'd jump on that, myself, except that Anno 2070 has enough DRM problems without layering the Steam client on top of it.
    I'd jump on it but my bank account is nearly empty, and I already own it.

The DRM isn't... bad, in terms of stopping the game being played (like GfWL can), it's just overbearing and unnecessary.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity is 50% (6.50, $Something) off on Steam, which is arguably a better sale than the Anno one depending on your game preference. I'm pretty tempted seeing as I only have the base game and have been intrigued by the 2 expansions for a while.

I'd jump on it but my bank account is nearly empty, and I already own it.

The DRM isn't... bad, in terms of stopping the game being played (like GfWL can), it's just overbearing and unnecessary.
    Yeah, if it were actually game breaking I wouldn't be looking to buy it at all. Hell, even as it is I'd normally pass, but I'm a sucker for Anno games.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity is 50% (6.50, $Something) off on Steam, which is arguably a better sale than the Anno one depending on your game preference. I'm pretty tempted seeing as I only have the base game and have been intrigued by the 2 expansions for a while.
    So here's a question for someone that does have the expansions: I bought the Collector's Edition of Sins back when it first released, because I thought it looked incredibly promising and (at the time) I had enormous faith in Stardock. I was incredibly discouraged when I got it and found that, to my thinking, it was just incredibly shallow and basic. It was pretty and atmospheric, but it wasn't the "real time 4X game" I'd been promised, to my thinking.

Now, obviously those expectations are long dead, but subsequent attempts to go back and play it have been hindered by the fact that, even with low expectations, the base game seemed to have weak AI and very little depth. Does trinity fix those two issues? Am I well served to give it another try? Would I be better off waiting for Rebellion at this point?

Sins of a solar empire is C&C in space. It's not 4X. Swords of the stars has more 4X in its bloody asteroid mining than sins does in its whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Sins of a solar empire is C&C in space. It's not 4X. Swords of the stars has more 4X in its bloody asteroid mining than sins does in its whole game.
    Well, yeah. The question is, knowing that from the outset (rather than being blindsided by it) do the expansions make it an interesting version of C&C in space?

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Well, yeah. The question is, knowing that from the outset (rather than being blindsided by it) do the expansions make it an interesting version of C&C in space?
    It's a bloody good "beer and pretzels" C&C, it's got WC3 hero classes, it's got the cancer in the middle of the galaxy with the pirates, you have pointless no man's land to push and pull over and beautiful lush worlds you desperately need.

It's star wars when it's not scooby doo with kissing siblings, it's 'those episodes' of star trek when different communities have to push up against each other for 30 seconds before everyone starts talking again, but in more than 1vs1 its the cold war where people aggressively punish the open flank...
    Edit: C&C means 3 things to me:
    Baby with bath water end game - be it a super unit, a free unit spawning building or a cannon that can shoot at distant planets.
    Limited micro: You only profit so much from a wall of tanks having their behaviour tweaked.
    Overlapping sides: every side shares core units with factional twists
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 20-05-2012 at 08:15 PM.