Page 205 of 543 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast
Results 4,081 to 4,100 of 10842

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Set properly the monitor can't ignore it because the GPU is pumping out a signal with blank pixels.
    Well, I know I've tried everything I can think of with mine, and it still requires a manual switching of monitor settings to get away from stretching. The graphics driver is, as best I can tell, utterly powerless to dictate this issue to my monitor. If there's a way around that I'd absolutely love to hear it, of course!

Edit: Current gen NVidia drivers have a setting that fixes this, which I found thanks to Helio. Carry on.
    Last edited by vinraith; 07-06-2012 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roufuss View Post
    Big Paradox weekend long game sale on Steam. 50% off everything Paradox right now with one series in the spotlight with deeper discounts each day (typical Steam sale.)

Today is the King Arthur franchise at 75% off:

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/13921/
    Yeah, can we get an opinion on this? I enjoyed the first one, although I never managed to beat it because I found the difficulty spikes mid-game, does anyone know if the 2nd does this as well?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The game is 4:3 like it or not, only strategy battles had other options.
    Expect boarders.
    Prepare to repel boarders!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'm glad someone said that. I've been itching to say it but always just managed to resist.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Well, I know I've tried everything I can think of with mine, and it still requires a manual switching of monitor settings to get away from stretching. The graphics driver is, as best I can tell, utterly powerless to dictate this issue to my monitor. If there's a way around that I'd absolutely love to hear it, of course!
    I had lots of problems with this on my now dead desktop too. Never found a fix. My laptop may be handling it better (not sure yet, but I have had games where 4:3 just showed with borders without me having to do anything).

Edit: Current gen NVidia drivers have a setting that fixes this, which I found thanks to Helio. Carry on.
    Maybe a very new thing? I couldn't find anything in my driver settings for the nVidia card on my desktop back then (6-8 months ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    I had lots of problems with this on my now dead desktop too. Never found a fix. My laptop may be handling it better (not sure yet, but I have had games where 4:3 just showed with borders without me having to do anything).

Maybe a very new thing? I couldn't find anything in my driver settings for the nVidia card on my desktop back then (6-8 months ago).
    In the NVidia control panel go to "Adjust Desktop Size and Position" and you'll see some options to control scaling. These have been there for some time. You'll want either "aspect ratio" or "no scaling" depending on taste. What's new, at least to me, is the control bar below that which lets you control where the scaling takes place. If you perform scaling on the GPU, rather than the display, it will override any intervening monitor shennanigans by sourcing the black bars direct from the video card. This works perfectly for me, whereas before that setting it never worked on this machine/monitor.

Crusader Kings II just hit -50% percent on GamersGate, so it's about 19.98€.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Steam is running Paradox sale weekend and CK2 is at 19.99€ out there. I suspect there will be a 75% sale on CK2 during the weekend. Will pick it up and all the DLC stuff.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    Yeah, can we get an opinion on this? I enjoyed the first one, although I never managed to beat it because I found the difficulty spikes mid-game, does anyone know if the 2nd does this as well?
    I've only just bought KA2 so can't give an opinion there but want to urge you to try again with the first game. Where was it in the first that got you? The undead armies appearing around London? The (Un)Seelie armies that seem to appear?
    I say this because the game really, really shines later on when you have a full Round Table, get far into upgrading your strongholds and research trees, when you get more magic (especially the teleport ability), and when you start to get some of the better items in the game (especially if you have the DLC which adds the very difficult battles with groups of baddies which appear randomly on the map with quest time-limits of 99 - these guys drop Set items which give massive bonuses by themselves and even bigger ones when they are complete).

It should go without saying but if you had problems then make sure to drop the difficulty to Easy and tick the box that makes archers weaker. As those guys will tear you apart otherwise. It's still a tough game but you can learn tricks to beat it. Such as: those really powerful looking undead armies - attack them with an army which has a lot of men and click the Auto-resolve button. Trust me, they won't be a problem anymore.

I've got 11 knights at my table currently, and I own all of Britania except wales (and the creepy woods with the strong (un)Seelie armies), who won't side with me till I get my old faith to 10, however it's sorta stuck at 7. I'm already playing it on easy and have said dlc with the random loot battles, problem is all of those battles are at the 100% strength mark, where as my armies are only around 50%, despite being fairly experienced.

I'm about 15 hours into this campaign, and I spent a previous 15-ish hours on another campaign that I gave up on due to being at war with Wales, the Saxons, and the guys near london, all of which were stronger than me.

I did notice that playing the battles by hand usually results in a victory, but it can be incredibly tedious, and when the enemy army is twice as strong I usually suffer massive losses (which is a bit depressing, because I then have to spend another 2 in game years filling up my ranks again, which is made even worse if I lose a knight).

I bought KA2 anyway, because it seemed silly to pass on it at that price. (and even though I'm not currently enjoying KA1, I have spent 30 hours on it; which must be worth somthing, right?)
    Last edited by Wheelz; 08-06-2012 at 08:45 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    You should never be at war with Wales and the Saxons anyway, until the point where [spoiler?]their home states kind of rebel against the druids/priesthood and you're told to march in and get your second stronghold (Caernarfon/other place)[end] and by that point you should be able to wipe them out pretty quickly. The army strength indicator is a bad metric and seems to be calculated in an incomprehensible way. I found it possible to routinely crush 100% armies with 50% ones, and I'm not great at strategy games. You kind of have to accept that you will take lots of casualties though, so an army will move in Spring, fight in Summer, the heal up for the next Spring. Seeing as units don't route like in Total War games it's pretty unavoidable. But so long as you have your food/gold income doing well it should be easy to maintain several armies at one, each with several knights in.

Fighting battles yourself is usually the best way to go except against those undead/ghost armies - the ones where all the units look rock hard but have small numbers (6-12). Auto-resolving against them will wipe them out with very few losses on your side. Something to do with them counting as Light Infantry despite their stats; that combined with the low troop numbers means the computer screws them over.
    The battles can get tedious though, especially as there are so few battle maps and most of the suck in some way. The knights and their abilities do alleviate this though.

Old faith rating should never get stuck as you can make buildings in your Strongholds that increase it.

Cheers for that Casimir Effect. I'll keep at it, and if I get stuck again I'll start a thread or somthing :P

edit: on old faith, I already have one building for it at my stronghold, and all my other slots are filled up. It seems like they only thing keeping me from finishing Book 2 is needing [spoiler-y] to hit the 10 old faith mark so that the druids will over-throw the welsh king, [/end] and the only way I can see to improve my faith at the moment is to do adventure quests, although currently I only seem to be getting diplomacy or battle.
    Last edited by Wheelz; 08-06-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: old Faith

Network Hub
    A question on Europa Universalis III: Chronicles. How important are the expansions for the game and what do they actually add in terms of gameplay?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Paradox deal switched to Magicka today - 75% off all of its DLC too.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    A question on Europa Universalis III: Chronicles. How important are the expansions for the game and what do they actually add in terms of gameplay?
    Vital and too much to remotely list. Seriously, you never want to play a Paradox-developed strategy game without all the expansions, they hugely refine and better the gameplay. EU3: Chronicles might as well be EU4 for all that it has in common with the (decidedly mediocre, in comparison) base game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira- View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simast View Post
    Steam is running Paradox sale weekend and CK2 is at 19.99€ out there. I suspect there will be a 75% sale on CK2 during the weekend. Will pick it up and all the DLC stuff.
    If you want to pick up the DLC on sale don't make the mistake, like me, of buying them from Gamersgate unless your copy of CK2 is from GG. If activates via the in-game store which will be Steam - unless you have the GG version - and you can't apply DLC from one to the other it seems. Fortunately I realised after I'd spent the first 1200 blue coins on a soundtracks pack. Minor annoyance as those bits and bobs of GG Blue Coins are great for grabbing DLC on sale without having to spend real money.

To be fair it does say that on the GG game page but I didn't notice.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 08-06-2012 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    If you want to pick up the DLC on sale don't make the mistake, like me, of buying them from Gamersgate unless your copy of CK2 is from GG. If activates via the in-game store which will be Steam - unless you have the GG version - and you can't apply DLC from one to the other it seems. Fortunately I realised after I'd spent the first 1200 blue coins on a soundtracks pack. Minor annoyance as those bits and bobs of GG Blue Coins are great for grabbing DLC on sale without having to spend real money.

To be fair it does say that on the GG game page but I didn't notice.
    Ask GG for a BC refund, you'll almost certainly get it. Their customer service is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Ask GG for a BC refund, you'll almost certainly get it. Their customer service is outstanding.
    Good call, thanks. I've done that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Has anyone played Chaser?

I remember some praise for its graphics back in 2004.

Magicka is today's Paradox deal on Steam, standing at -75%.

Oh it seems I'm late...
    Last edited by Velko; 08-06-2012 at 08:51 PM.