Page 218 of 594 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268318 ... LastLast
Results 4,341 to 4,360 of 11866

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Having never played any Deus Ex games, the collection is interesting to me, but do they hold up well? I know that the first is a classic (which means that i'd like to give it a shot at some point), but is it worth actually playing any more, or is it more important for its status and influence then actual gameplay at this point?
    It's still a fantastic game, and the disappointing thing is that despite all the critical praise its influence on gaming seems to have been fairly limited. It offers an experience that few other games do, even now.

IW is the weakest of the series, I didn't enjoy it at all but there's probably still a good game in there if you don't find the specific flaws annoying as I did. Human Revolution isn't groundbreaking like the original but it's a fantastic game that captures the atmosphere and feels like a true sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Human Revolution isn't groundbreaking like the original but it's a fantastic game that captures the atmosphere and feels like a true sequel.
    A lot of people agree with this, but it's not clear-cut. To me, the flaws and changes in HR really ruined the feel, and made it less of a Deus Ex game than IW was.

Quote Originally Posted by Track View Post
    Having never played any Deus Ex games, the collection is interesting to me, but do they hold up well? I know that the first is a classic (which means that i'd like to give it a shot at some point), but is it worth actually playing any more, or is it more important for its status and influence then actual gameplay at this point?
    Deus Ex (the first) definitely holds up well as a game worth playing. There's no guarantee that you'll like it, and I think sabrage is right in what he said. It's not just about the degree of complexity and freedom, though. If you've mostly played modern games, you'll probably find Deus Ex quite strangely-designed in some ways. To me, Deus Ex gets it right and the modern design tendencies are mostly a step down, but you might see it differently. Bottom line, though: it's definitely not just a museum piece. If it clicks with you, it will be a great experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MD! View Post
    Deus Ex (the first) definitely holds up well as a game worth playing. There's no guarantee that you'll like it, and I think sabrage is right in what he said. It's not just about the degree of complexity and freedom, though. If you've mostly played modern games, you'll probably find Deus Ex quite strangely-designed in some ways. To me, Deus Ex gets it right and the modern design tendencies are mostly a step down, but you might see it differently. Bottom line, though: it's definitely not just a museum piece. If it clicks with you, it will be a great experience.
    Much like Thief, I only made it as far as the first level. Objectively, I can look at it and say "Wow, they put a hell of a lot of work into this" but that doesn't necessarily mean I find it fun.

I think the first level can put some people off, making it seem a little hard to get into (not the reaction I had way back when, but it's the reaction of a friend who wasn't used to older games and was struggling with it somewhat). I'd say it's definitely worth sticking at, and also, worth saving and trying different things out. The beauty and brilliance of DX is in the freedom to choose your approach to enemies/structures/encounters/conversations, so have a real play around and test things out in the beginning to start getting to what it's great at.

IW isn't a bad game at all, from what I recall (has been a while). It's only major crime was not reaching the heady heights that the original did (plus a few mis-steps in terms of changes made to benefit it's multi-platform nature). The real issue with playing it now is that last time I tried, it made me feel physically sick to play. I can't remember if it was an FoV or a resolution thing, but I barely got more than a few minutes into the game before I had to stop.

DX:HR was brilliant (it's not the original, but captures enough of it for me to get excited about). The Missing Link is very worth it, and had a moment for me (which may not apply to everyone) that stood up with some of the big 'wow!' moments in the original. So yes, worth getting.

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    The real issue with playing it now is that last time I tried, it made me feel physically sick to play. I can't remember if it was an FoV or a resolution thing, but I barely got more than a few minutes into the game before I had to stop.
    The FoV was a problem for me even on a 15" 1024x768 monitor, so I can only imagine how it'd suck on a big wide screen. There is a way of changing it, though. I'm not sure whether it was an .ini tweak or something more complicated, but it was doable.

edit: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/deus-ex-invisible-war

I seem to remember the mouse input was also rubbish, but fixable. If this is the utility I'm thinking of, it was very handy for fixing the mouse lag as well as doing a bunch of other .ini tweaks: http://deusex2.filefront.com/file/Fu...ker_Tool;21399

There's also a high-res texture pack, but the author's site seems to be down. I'm sure it's still hosted somewhere, though.
    Last edited by MD!; 22-06-2012 at 05:44 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The most annoying thing about Invisible War is there is a loading screen every seven seconds. I thought it was ok, but then I'm not a big fan of the original, which I also think is ok. At least in IW when my highly-trained operative points her gun at something she actually hits it.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

I just finished the first Deus Ex for the first time only last week. No problems with the game what so ever (played the Steam version). Only upgrades I did was the fan patch and the New Vision textures(with launcher). The textures making game look pretty sharp for a 12 year old game. Gog DE forums got a good post about this:
    http://www.gog.com/en/forum/deus_ex_...eplay_and_more
    Bought Human Revolution while a go for PS3 already, but contemplating if I should get rid off it and get this PC version instead. Especially for this price.

Great deal for US PC gamers on Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (not the original, AE!) for $9.99 on Amazon! It unfortunately uses GFWL, but worth it for what is hands down the best 2D fighting game on PC.

If anybody buys please PM me your GFWL tags so we can play some matches! I have 0 friends on that service.

Link

Quote Originally Posted by TaroYamada View Post
    Great deal for US PC gamers on Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (not the original, AE!) for $9.99 on Amazon! It unfortunately uses GFWL, but worth it for what is hands down the best 2D fighting game on PC.

If anybody buys please PM me your GFWL tags so we can play some matches! I have 0 friends on that service.

Link
    Not only for US gamers, everbody else as well with the amazon-us-only-workaround-thingy.

Quote Originally Posted by TaroYamada View Post

Link

Legopig (yeah I typo's my screen name when joining here lol)

I play SSTIV:AE every now and again, could have a few rounds sometime if you don;t mind fighting against Sagat (he is the only one I am half decent with :p )
    If graphics are not important why spend so much on a GPU?

Be mine Bundle 3

Red orchestra 1
    Avernum 4 5 6
    and Stuff

Pwyw with Min Price 4 $

http://groupees.com/bemine3
    Great Search Engine for Game bargains:
    http://isthereanydeal.com/?by=price:asc

I recently got DXHR from GMG for 1,75 (with some trading in and vouchering), with no DLC included. now that they are cheap, should I get any of the DLC? any good? I don't really see the point of a grenade launcher and all this explosive stuff, not very elegant...

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    The most annoying thing about Invisible War is there is a loading screen every seven seconds. I thought it was ok, but then I'm not a big fan of the original, which I also think is ok. At least in IW when my highly-trained operative points her gun at something she actually hits it.
    I agree that the starting accuracy with firearms in DX was a bit silly considering we're supposed to be a newly graduated super agent, but then again the fact that you suck at killing at the beginning of the game is what makes all the alternative approaches that much more viable. And it makes it really satisfying when you finally upgrade a skill to master.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I guess I just prefer it when shooter-RPGs handle the player skill/character skill question by making accuracy player skill and damage character skill. I've felt that is always the most satisfying way to handle it.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arona Daal View Post
    Be mine Bundle 3

Red orchestra 1
    Avernum 4 5 6
    and Stuff

Pwyw with Min Price 4 $

http://groupees.com/bemine3
    That is ... actually quite good.

How does this work? The site fails to provide information on payment options among others ...

You sign using either your Groupees credentials or Facebook/twitter. Payment options are Paypal, Amazon Payments and Dwolla.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lego Batman 2 is up on steam now. 10% off, 15% if you own one of the previous Lego games on steam.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    (Be Mine 3)
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoJellyfish View Post
    How does this work? The site fails to provide information on payment options among others ...
    The site doesn't exactly inspire confidence in general; things are rather unclear and it's annoying to have to sign up for it. That's a shame because it's a nice bundle and they could probably sell more if they took some inspiration from Humble Bundle.

It does work, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    The site doesn't exactly inspire confidence in general; things are rather unclear and it's annoying to have to sign up for it.
    Did you miss the part where you can login using facebook or twitter? :-? I'd choose proprietary l/p though every single time, the evil networks already know too much :P

if groupees doesn't inspire confidence to you, you should've seen indiegala when they launched their first bundle. The fact that it resembled the HIB so closely, sliders, stats and everything, made things even worse. There's always a balance to be struck between usability and recognizability.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Did you miss the part where you can login using facebook or twitter? :-? I'd choose proprietary l/p though every single time, the evil networks already know too much :P
    I didn't miss it, I just didn't want any connection to FB. The way Humble Bundle does it is just nicely simple and doesn't mean yet another site you have login and password for, just need to keep the email or make a bookmark for your page.

if groupees doesn't inspire confidence to you, you should've seen indiegala when they launched their first bundle. The fact that it resembled the HIB so closely, sliders, stats and everything, made things even worse. There's always a balance to be struck between usability and recognizability.
    oh yeah, I didn't mean copy the looks, but Be Mine could certainly do with the useability. Kind of missing an 'average paid' stat too (just because I'm curious).