Page 232 of 579 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332 ... LastLast
Results 4,621 to 4,640 of 11573

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    It's not a sale as such, but for 5,- still quite the bargain: the new and updated, Windows 7 64b (1024x768) friendly version of Dungeon Keeper II has been up on GOG.com for a few days now. Haven't had any problems with it so far, running Windows as described.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    It's not a sale as such, but for €5,- still quite the bargain: the new and updated, Windows 7 64b (1024x768) friendly version of Dungeon Keeper II has been up on GOG.com for a few days now. Haven't had any problems with it so far, running Windows as described.
    Very nice, thanks for the heads-up. I completely missed 2 back in the day, though I greatly enjoyed 1. How do the two compare?

I have no clue, I never got Dungeon Keeper II to work when I got it on CD a few years ago (was a bit late to the party on that one), and never tried the original. I get the impression people prefer the second though, it, and not the original, often crops up in those 'favourite games' list you see every now and then.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~

I can't compare the two of them as I hadn't played the first one, but the second one aged very gracefully. Thanks to it's characteristic style, it's early 3D graphics are quite bearable, enjoyable even and the interface is still good enough not to be frustrating. I never got around to playing the first one as the graphics scared me off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    People furiously support DK1 because DK2 was different, and vauge allusions to Bullfrog selling out to EA (see the terrible marketing materials) But DK2 was a perfectly good game, in my opinion better because it was capable of multiplayer and lacked some of the obsessive pattern remembering that DK1 fans cling to.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    I've never played DK2, so my thoughts here are moot, but it looked like a wholly different experience compared to DK. And I hated the visual style in DK2. Oh, and my computer couldn't run it. I'm sure it's a fine game, but DK is stupidly fabulous.
    steam

I played the first Dungeon Keeper when I was too little to actually understand it. I ended up digging out the entire map and was valiantly defending the few chickens that spawned in the single square of hatchery from all the beasts that were trying to eat them. I fared much better with Dungeon Keeper 2, and I still replay the campaign once in a while. It's one of the two RTS games I ever finished, the other being Age of Empires 2.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    DK2 is a slimmer, tighter, more carefully designed game. I actually prefer the first one, though. It's big and messy, with great heaps of creativity and spirit. Also, the chap who does the pre and post mission voice work is laugh out loud funny.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Need for Speed: The Run for 10 dollars on Amazon. Activates on Origin.

I liked the console demo so I'm buying it.
    I got it 'for free' courtesy of CokeZone points and it's pretty decent - BUT - it hammers my system in weird and wonderful ways.

I cannot get it to run smoothly no matter what settings I choose - even on the highest settings it's AOK most of the time but slows to a crawl in corners and other rapid direction-change areas (which are scarce tbh) - it's no better or worse on the lowest settings either!?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    What's everyone's thoughts on Hot Pursuit? It's pretty good right, worth a 3 quid or whatever it is on Amazon right now?

YES.

Awesome, awesome game. Assuming you like Burnout.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Very nice, thanks for the heads-up. I completely missed 2 back in the day, though I greatly enjoyed 1. How do the two compare?
    I never played the first one, but I can tell you I loved the 2. It's a delight to build your dungeon, have creatures coming, and of course slap imps. Lots of slapping. It actually makes them work faster! Laying down traps is fun (more than Evil Genius, for me). Fights are just a mess where you most likely make all your creatures mass in one place. You can use possession to play your creatures in a FPS perspective, but that's more of a fun gimmick.

The only thing is that you can't play this game with sound in a family context by the time you build a torture room. It's just not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoupi View Post
    The only thing is that you can't play this game with sound in a family context by the time you build a torture room. It's just not possible.
    Yeah... Thats probably my biggest issue with it, otherwise I'd happily have my 8 year old playing it but the pointless BDSM just ruins it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    What's everyone's thoughts on Hot Pursuit? It's pretty good right, worth a 3 quid or whatever it is on Amazon right now?
    I hate it. You spend more time watching shitty videos and score screens than playing and the rubberband AI sucks out all the fun.
    If you played Burnout Paradise and were annoyed by the presentation, this is ten times worse.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Yeah... Thats probably my biggest issue with it, otherwise I'd happily have my 8 year old playing it but the pointless BDSM just ruins it.
    If you can get past your middle-class 1950s sensibilities, you might realise that you've just said you don't want anyone being whipped by a dominatrix but you're AOK with killing them (as featured in this game and almost every single other game)?? :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I preferred The Run to Hot Pursuit by a great deal.

*shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    If you can get past your middle-class 1950s sensibilities, you might realise that you've just said you don't want anyone being whipped by a dominatrix but you're AOK with killing them (as featured in this game and almost every single other game)?? :)
    Yeah, that's pretty much it. Nothing at all to do with torture being weaponised.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    To be fair, it's not as much the act in itself. Graphically, it's mostly 10 polygons whipping 10 others.
    The problem is the persistent moaning anytime you hover on the torture chamber.

Last edited by Gnoupi; 10-07-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoupi View Post
    To be fair, it's not as much the act in itself. Graphically, it's mostly 10 polygons whipping 10 others.
    The problem is the persistent moaning anytime you hover on the torture chamber.
    You know what that sounds like but to an 8-year-old it's just a noise...

The whole issue of what to let kids to play is thorny and complex - but when death and destruction is so common in games, I find the idea of being upset about some moaning a bit weird :)

Naval War: Arctic Circle is 75% off today on Steam. RPS WIT here, Three Moves Ahead discussion with the developer here.

Last edited by Tritagonist; 10-07-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Now with video.