Page 337 of 542 FirstFirst ... 237287327335336337338339347387437 ... LastLast
Results 6,721 to 6,740 of 10837

Thread: PC Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Is XIII worth a damn? I mean.... Eh... Its old like dinosaurs. :P
    It's original, the gameplay is great, the story is pretty good, even if unfinished, the graphics still hold up pretty well thanks to the style... I'd say it's worth it.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Is XIII worth a damn? I mean.... Eh... Its old like dinosaurs. :P
    I'd say it definitely is!

IMO it holds up quite well aesthetically due to the use of Cel shading and the whole comic book art style thing and it does some inventive things with splitscreen (or, panels, if you like). I cannot comment too much on gameplay but from what I've played it seems like a really solid FPS with some basic stealth elements thrown into the mix. 'Shooting dudes' may not feel as satisfactory as in modern titles due to the lack of ragdoll physics, tho. Uh ... maybe someone who completed it can add something regarding the story.

Oh, and it supports all kinds of fancy resolutions and custom FOV via .ini tweaks if this is something that concerns you.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Indaver View Post
    Better than Sins Rebellion, anyone?
    Have some reviews:

SOTS 2 EE

SOASE:R

Hum... Mobiloid is PWYW at IndieGameStand, any thoughts about it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Sins is a C&C game with space ships, that's fine, good even. Sots is more like Total War: Space, turn based strategy meets real time tactics, roguelike random events and techtree crossed with genuinely good multiplayer and/or AI that can actually play the game (so not like Total War at all?).

Last i heard it wasn't done yet, I recommend SotS 1 (unless someone can tell me its all good now).
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Two completely different genres. SotS2 is a 4X game, and well worth a try at that price given how far its come and how many unique ideas it brings to the table. Sins is a fairly conventional RTS with pretensions of being a 4X game, but without the depth to back it up. It's perfectly fine at what it does, but don't let the scale fool you. There's no depth to the thing.

Also, don't let the reviews of SotS2 worry you. It was released in terrible shape, but the devs have been working on it nearly non-stop for a year. It's not the same game that was reviewed back in 2011. That, in fact, is the entire point of the new edition.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    From what I've read it's still a pretty buggy game in places but playable and probably still better off playing the first rather than the second.

Network Hub
    I've been going through the list of the cheapest game son Steam, and I have to recommend Cargo Commander for EUR 1,74. It's more than worth it.

Network Hub
    Double post. :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    I've been going through the list of the cheapest game son Steam, and I have to recommend Cargo Commander for EUR 1,74. It's more than worth it.
    Anyone know if there's a demo for this somewhere? I'm kinda interested, but not enough to bite the bullet before giving it a test run. No, not even at that price.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Anyone know if there's a demo for this somewhere? I'm kinda interested, but not enough to bite the bullet before giving it a test run. No, not even at that price.
    Someone emailled me last week asking if there was a demo/free version of an app I part-wrote - which was 69p

I've not replied yet - I don't really want to say what I think because it would probably end-up going viral - I'm tempted to make a demo, release it and put the price of the game upto 2.99 at the same time ;)

Seriously tho - gamers are going to kill their own hobby with the miserly nonsense - the wave of In-App-Payment strewn shitware which is about to engulf us was created by that attitude - that no matter how cheap something is, there should be a trial first - so developers make a free game which nickel-and-dimes you from thereonin....

Re. Cargo Commander, there's no demo mentioned anywhere on the developer's site, and it's not coming up on Google, so I expect not. I agree, it's a pity.

Edit: trjp, I understand your frustration with people who want something for nothing, but in this case I think it's legitimate to want a small demo (not a free version of the game) to see how the game handles mechanically, as it looks like it could be great fun if it's smooth or unplayable if it runs badly or is just too technically difficult. The game is cheap now, at or close to "what the hell, give it a go" price, but normally it's 7 euro and there's no demo then either.

Please don't take offence, just my 2 cents. I know that it's important to pay for good games where possible, in order to help the ecosystem.
    Last edited by Pertusaria; 30-12-2012 at 09:08 PM.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    I think it's legitimate to want a small demo
    Is the increase in sales from the demo worth the cost to the developer of making the demo? It sounds like for a 69p app, tjrp's answer would be no.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Someone emailled me last week asking if there was a demo/free version of an app I part-wrote - which was 69p
    I think that was me. So is there a demo?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    <insert rant here>
    Both sides of the coin, I guess. I do buy many games without demoing first, but if I'm kinda on the fence, a demo would certainly be welcome to help make the decision. This is one such time.

Oh well, I guess if I really feel like it, I'll head to a certain bay and grab me a "demo" version to give it a whirl.

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I'll admit it, I'm laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I'm waiting for the 75% off sale.

[QUOTE=F. Lynx Pardinus;23847for a 69p app, tjrp's answer would be no.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, where the base price is ridiculously low, I don't see any point in a demo.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Obscure Node
    Thanks for the spec ops suggestion all--purchased and played it through based on your suggestions and found it to be one of the more intelligent shooters I've played in years. Gameplay can be quirky at times, but story made it worth it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I should say that I fully support the concept of demos for games which cost a significant amount of money, have a decent amount of content AND which are likely to require more than an 'average' PC in order to work.

Demos are a double-edged sword tho - they can bring in more customers BUT - and this especially applies to simpler games - they can also give people just enough fun that they don't feel they need to buy the game (they break the seal - they rub-off the novelty value).

Games which are just a couple of dollars/points/euros are perhaps a bit of a gamble - you'll win BIG on some and lose on others - perhaps looking at them in a wider context is required?

Or you could read blogs, forums, YouTube reviews, websites, Twitter etc. - not only would you get a good range of views but a idea of how well it will run on your PC too!?

As gamers we need to be careful here - the ever growing demand for 'more game for less money' is reducing the market to a gruel of lookalike shite and F2P nonsense which only looks like a game.

What's the point of pouring your soul into a game people will sniff at a $3 pricetag for?

The world is not like Indie Game: The Movie suggests it is :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    p.s. I've got an idea - I'll buy you Cargo Commander as a gift. If you like it, you buy me a game of similar value which I'm "on the fence" about - if you don't like it, I'll take the loss? ;)

p.p.s. I own CC but have not yet played it so I'm genuinely not any more clued-up on it than anyone else :)