Page 364 of 542 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366374414464 ... LastLast
Results 7,261 to 7,280 of 10837

Thread: PC Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    You really don't need a tutorial, this game is wonderfully easy to learn and the hidden complexities you'll pick up on during play. Any questions then just give me a shout, I've finished that game with each race at least twice.
    Hm not a fan of save scumming (I've lost the habit), but... would it be OK to start from Rise of the Elves or better get the original ?
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Hm not a fan of save scumming (I've lost the habit), but... would it be OK to start from Rise of the Elves or better get the original ?
    Of the three expansions Rise of the Elves plays like a game with any race in the original game, everything is paced from level 1 with the new elf faction. The other two expansions are hard as balls from all reports (reason why I've never tried) and comprise one for the dark factions (undead and legion) and one for the light (humans and clan) which continue on from the previous campaigns. I think the elf campaign plays out in conjunction with the other 4, as all the campaigns kind of occur at the same time.
    I'd still recommend starting with one of the original campaigns (except as humans) just because I know them better than RotE and they were definitely made as the entry point for the game.

(Edit: And the save scumming isn't as bad as I make out, as quickloads are near instant and it's only really something you'll need to do a lot if, like me, you try to beat the odds in combat too much [betting on something missing an 80% chance to hit])
    Last edited by Casimir Effect; 03-02-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Do you know if Origin makes you install the entire collection in order to play one of the games? Or does it treat them as all separate?

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Command and Conquer: The Ultimate Collection is on Amazon for $16.99 again. Origin required. Some extra treats included.

http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conque...g=isthcom0a-20

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    They'd be separate, or at least the newer games (C&C3 onwards) would be, the older stuff might be bundled.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Not sure if this is new, new to this thread, or even a good deal, but: Dungeon Siege bundle on Amazon. $11.99 through Feb 9.

Obscure Node
    Hi, I posted this at the bottom of the bargain bucket thread so I might as well put it here as well, XCOM for 15 quid:

http://www.simplygames.com/info/1972...EY-Download-PC

I bought this and can confirm it works.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    Not sure if this is new, new to this thread, or even a good deal, but: Dungeon Siege bundle on Amazon. $11.99 through Feb 9.
    DOesn't seem to have any of the expansions. Although, I think the Steam DS2 also lacks the expansion?
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    DOesn't seem to have any of the expansions. Although, I think the Steam DS2 also lacks the expansion?
    The steam dungeon siege complete bundle seems to lack any expansions for one and two. It doesn't look like they're available digitally at all. Does anyone happen to know if the steam versions are compatible with boxed expansions? Hopefully GOG will come to our collective rescue at some point.

I'm curious as to what the general consensus is on these. Have the first two aged well? Is DS3 worth playing for an Obsidian fan?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    DS2 is a bloody troublesome game on modern PCs. It will play but it really is a throwback to games much older than itself in terms of it's stubborn refusal to work in widescreen properly or in decent resolutions.

Can't speak for specific version but I had the original boxed version until recently and every time I decided to play it again it was a torture session getting the damned-thing to work.

I couldn't just stick it on my laptop (my usual solution for older games as it's lower-res and has a VGA output) because it needs a semi-decent PC to run - but expects it to be stuck in the stone-age in resolution/ratio terms...

Quote Originally Posted by qizarate View Post
    The steam dungeon siege complete bundle seems to lack any expansions for one and two. It doesn't look like they're available digitally at all. Does anyone happen to know if the steam versions are compatible with boxed expansions? Hopefully GOG will come to our collective rescue at some point.

I'm curious as to what the general consensus is on these. Have the first two aged well? Is DS3 worth playing for an Obsidian fan?
    Regarding DS3 - I found it to be an above average game (story and gameplay), but you'll have to get used to the terrible camera views available and an awkward inventory interface. If yo are an obsidian fan, there's a fair chance you'll enjoy it.

Edit: Also. Treasures of the sun is a good example for a proper DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    DS2 is a bloody troublesome game on modern PCs. It will play but it really is a throwback to games much older than itself in terms of it's stubborn refusal to work in widescreen properly or in decent resolutions.

Can't speak for specific version but I had the original boxed version until recently and every time I decided to play it again it was a torture session getting the damned-thing to work.

I couldn't just stick it on my laptop (my usual solution for older games as it's lower-res and has a VGA output) because it needs a semi-decent PC to run - but expects it to be stuck in the stone-age in resolution/ratio terms...
    I don't know about your laptop, but my sister has been playing it on her Acer lappy, which is less than a year old, and I don't think she's had any problems. I don't recall seeing it in a boxed 4:3 resolution either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I don't know about your laptop, but my sister has been playing it on her Acer lappy, which is less than a year old, and I don't think she's had any problems. I don't recall seeing it in a boxed 4:3 resolution either.
    http://www.wsgf.org/dr/dungeon-siege-ii

Has all the hacks

They can be moody tho - on my 5670 it crashes a lot - it was better on my prior 8600

I'd like to think there's a patched up version somewhere but I've not heard of such a thing

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qizarate View Post

DS1 never really grabbed me, and I recall finding companions and animals to be dying too easily. And, while it has been a long time, I vaguely recall everything but a mage/druid being REALLY boring due to lack of abilities.

DS2 is one of those games that I get the urge to play every few years, spend a few hours having fun, and then lose all interest in. Has fun archery though.

DS3 I never played, but I Have heard it was an ARPG that missed the point of being an ARPG/a cRPG that felt a bit lacking. Basically it tried to be both and faield at being either. Oh, and obligatory "Obsidian got screwed over and it isn't their fault and they are the whipping boy of the industry and they could never make a weak game without it being someone else's fault" :p

For reference on what I look for in an ARPG: I love Torchlight 1 and 2 and I like Din's Curse.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Had a great time with DS3 myself. Most fun ARPG combat system I've come across (compared to Diablo, Torchlight, Bastion, Titan Quest etc) while the story is servicable with some nice areas and a few decisions thrown in.

Thanks for all the input. Given my massive backlog, they just don't sound quite appetising enough to take a chance on. I think i'll pass this one up.

Gothic 1-3 on sale for three quarters off at GamersGate. But, has anyone played the GG versions? Will they work on Win7 64?
    Previously on falsecountry.net:
    Banished Expectations
    - of Banished, Saints, and Lords on Lithium

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Had a great time with DS3 myself. Most fun ARPG combat system I've come across (compared to Diablo, Torchlight, Bastion, Titan Quest etc) while the story is servicable with some nice areas and a few decisions thrown in.
    DS3's problem is character development and customisation - it has menus which appear to offer this but the effects are minimal and the degree of customisation is TINY.

It's also a bit "go here - go back - go there again - go back" in it's structure which gets boring quite quickly.

It's technically competent, looks OK etc. but it feels lazy and formulaic and dull for most of it's length.

I paid 4 for it and I reckon that was OK - at it's original full price is was a comedy item tho

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Gothic 1-3 on sale for three quarters off at GamersGate. But, has anyone played the GG versions? Will they work on Win7 64?
    Gothic 1 and 2 are going to be troublesome no matter what version you run - they're just games from a distant age and they struggle on any modern OS. I enjoyed a good bit of both last year but I spent more time fixing them than I did playing them.

G3 is interesting because with all the mods which exist (most of which improve the game immeasurably) you can easily make a game which will melt a top-end gaming PC. Turn-down-the-wick a bit and things are OK tho

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Dungeon Siege 3 is easily the best ARPG available for the PC right now, largely because it's not a mouse-based game (which is such a ridiculous, shitty control scheme), but a controller-based one.

REPRESENT

Quote Originally Posted by Gwilym View Post
    Do you know if Origin makes you install the entire collection in order to play one of the games? Or does it treat them as all separate?
    You can install each game separately. From the looks of it, you might have to install the base game and its expansion though