Page 382 of 602 FirstFirst ... 282332372380381382383384392432482 ... LastLast
Results 7,621 to 7,640 of 12040

Thread: PC Bargains

Activated Node
    Don't some of the latter Civ games have an option to play a few years automatically? I know Alpha Centauri has that option.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I guess I don't need to try Civ V do I - or by some miracle is there a mode which hand-holds you a bit further and gives you a bit more direction early one?
    Getting in Civ V was easy enough, the tutorial does the hand holding pretty decently although the panels IMO could do with more conciseness. Early on you're gonna get spammed, there's a lot to cover even without going in the subtler details, but it never comes close to being overwhelming. One thing I liked is you can select which subjects panels you want to be shown again in your next playthrough, which is good because sometimes I was a bit 'uh? how does this relate to what I'm doing? don't bother me, I'm busy playing'

If you start at the recommended difficulty and go up a level every time you win, you shouldn't have any trouble winning even if you screw up, and your first playthroughs will work as an extended tutorial of sorts, picking up the things you missed, the ones the tutorial mentions in passing, or doesn't at all.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I'd say Civ 5 has the lowest entry barrier of all of the main games, however, if you can manage to find a copy of Civilization Revolution for the consoletoys, it's a watered down and much simpler version of the game, which easily serves to initiate people into the big boys. Think of it as "My first Civ".
    Played that on the iPad - they appear to have taken all the bits of Civ I found tedious and annoying (creating and moving units aroudn to explore etc.) and thrown away everything else ;)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Try Rise of Nations?
    Once upon a time I bought RON:ROL for 1 but the disc wouldn't read - no problemo, I thought, I'll either find a hooky version or get it from DD

That was about 4 years ago - it's not on any DD site I've never noticed!?
    Last edited by trjp; 04-03-2013 at 05:35 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    RoL is awful though (imho), you want Rise of Nations Gold. Unfortunately, I don't think it's currently available anywhere unless you luck out in some long forgotten games store where a copy still remains hidden under layers of newer releases, waiting for someone to rediscover it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    If you're in the EU a Ubisoft version of RON Gold should be in your nearest bargain bin.

"I guess I don't need to try Civ V do I - or by some miracle is there a mode which hand-holds you a bit further and gives you a bit more direction early one?"

I felt like for some reason Civ V was designed for and aimed at people who hated the previous Civ games so you may like it. It's definitely "streamlined" (Oh, how I loathe that word...)

Legacy of Kain Collection (steam) is on sale for $4.50 ($3.60 if you have 20% discount) in gamersgate right now.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-LKC/le...lection-bundle
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    New IndieGameStand is Bridge It - which I'm so curious about I just bought on the spot, and in an era where I'm trying not to buy things, that's a good thing (I hope)

https://indiegamestand.com/

p.s. as they decided to keep the Civ V daily deal going for more than 1 day I leapt at that too - and it's ALL YOUR FAULT - more news at 11, when I stop swearing at NFS: The Run

I've been really good this year about not buying games that I don't intend to play immediately, but with Darksiders' uncertain future I might have to nab that Steam sale for DS2. Is the season pass DLC worth it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    DS2's DLC situation is complex - the 'Season Pass' does NOT include all the DLC, only the stuff released after launch.

Argul's Tomb and Death Rides were pre-order bonuses from some stores so not included in the Season Pass and they do add to the story (if you don't have them there are 'ghostly' enemies you can't attack IIRC?)

The Season Pass gets you the Maker's Armour Set plus Demon Lord Belial and Abyssal Force (endgame IIRC?) extras...

All the other bits are window-dressing/skins etc. and not really necessary IMO

DS2 isn't cheap enough just to splash-out on everything - in fact I think it's been cheaper than this deal before!?

Interesting, thanks. I'm not too fussed with getting all DLC for a game (only got the season pass for SR3, for instance), so skins and weapons can be thrown out, but I'd rather not miss the gameplay content.

So that's $16.99 for just the game, $28.52 including gameplay DLC, and then $45.22 for all of it. Hmm ...

According to Steamprices the base game has been cheaper, at $13.59, so not a huge spread from the current price.

I think it was down to $10 for absolutely everything on Amazon during Christmas sales. That being said, every single piece of DLC comes with its own code and needs to be manually activated on Steam, so I would recommend trying to avoid most of the nonsense weapons and armors, they are only good for maybe 30 mins and entering all those codes is so tedious.

I bought the whole Darksiders franchise pack for $13.19 last dec in amazon. If you ended up buying the base game, I have an unused Abyssal forge dlc lying around that I could give you or to anyone who wants it.

(yes, that dlc is included in the season pass. That's why I have a duplicate,)
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

I don't really regret not purchasing it during the Christmas sale since like I said, I'm trying not to buy anything for the benefit of the backlog, and we didn't really know that THQ was going to implode as quickly as it did.

I'll buy it and the season pass, then see what I'm missing, if as Mnemnoch says they might be including unadvertised DLCs.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Far Cry 3 is 21.99 at GAME. Not sure if it's much of a deal but it's far cheaper than it's ever been on Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post

DS2 isn't cheap enough just to splash-out on everything - in fact I think it's been cheaper than this deal before!?
    I got both DS1 and DS2 together for that price in the Xmas sale.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD View Post
    Far Cry 3 is 21.99 at GAME. Not sure if it's much of a deal but it's far cheaper than it's ever been on Steam.
    Good to know that FC3 is getting discounts. Soon it'll be discounted at Steam, and then I'll grab it.

I just realized I haven't purchased a game since the Steam December sale. Sad/happy face?

DS2 is 9.99 € (vs 16.99 € on Steam/EU2) on GetGames

http://getgamesgo.com/product/darksiders-ii
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"