Page 385 of 576 FirstFirst ... 285335375383384385386387395435485 ... LastLast
Results 7,681 to 7,700 of 11517

Thread: PC Bargains

Yes. The key to get far in King's Bounty is to absolutely minimize your losses. That's especially tough when you start out and the exact strategy varies dramatically depending on what class you chose.
    First of all, you have to avoid enemy retaliation. Ranged units obviously don't cause it (except for one or two units), and some units have the no retaliation skill. Another basic strategy is to use up the enemy retaliation with summoned and thus disposable creatures.
    Make heavy use of crowd control spells and skills. A well placed Fear, Blind or Trap spell can completely shut down your enemy
    Since creatures don't really regrow, choose quality over quantity. If you can somehow get your hands on a level5 creature early it can make your life a lot easier.
    Be creative with your rage skills and spells and see how you can combine them. If you play as a mage you can later cast two spells in a single turn which allows for some proper diabolical combinations. Like using the Hypnotize spell followed by Sacrifice or Kamikaze. The best combination is most likely the reaper's time back ability together with the Sacrifice spell which allows you to create troops out of thin air - but only fairly late into the game.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What Anthile said. You play to minimize losses, especially through retaliation. The key here is that you don't have to worry nearly as much about base units since they're cheap and plentiful. Expensive units and rare units can dramatically change the outcome of a fight, as well as the optimal strategy, but they are far more rare.

However, it's a bit more nuanced than that. The class you choose, and more importantly how you specialize, will inevitably affect gameplay. Fighters get lots of Rage and defense, so they're going to want heavy classes that take a lot of damage with little loss (paladins for instance), to get rage up. A fighter wants to funnel their enemies into these classes, and keep them away from priests or whatnot. High physical damage characters (like horsemen), kill a lot of their enemies before they can get the chance to retaliate.

Mages do most of their damage through magic, so they need units with high initiative and units that can trap enemies or keep them from attacking. An optimized mage frequently ends battles before the enemy reaches their units.

Paladins (from what little I've played), focus on buffing their units, frustrating the enemies, and do a little bit of everything. Paladins have the greatest flexibility.

Fighters have a slight disadvantage in all the games because Rage can't be used in a boss-fight.

Control of the field is absolutely necessary. Use Rage to create walls, trap the hex before a chokepoint, then again during it, and then again on the first square out. This will stop an enemy advance for three turns. If you get initiative at the start, summon or hypnotize mobs in the middle of the enemy lines. The enemy will focus on them and not move towards your vulnerable ranged people. Slow physical attackers and focus fire ranged combat dealers.

Most importantly, get as much treasure as you can before fighting. Run around units frequently, and trick powerful monsters to steal their treasure. Remember that your job is treasure-hunter, not fighter. Almost as many talent runes are intentionally placed all over the map as you will gain from leveling. That way you can effectively raise your level far beyond what your actual level is, and the game expects you to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    How does Binary Domain fare as a two player co-op title?
    It's not a coop title, the campaign is solo only. There is a horde mode in multiplayer which is 1-4 players coop but it quickly bored me (and there isn't much people playing it at that).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertJSullivan View Post
    It's not a coop title, the campaign is solo only. There is a horde mode in multiplayer which is 1-4 players coop but it quickly bored me (and there isn't much people playing it at that).
    The community's irrelevant, since I only play MP with friends anyway. The gist of the question is, "is the co-op mode substantial enough to spring for a second copy for my friend?" and the answer, from the sounds of it, is probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Yes. The key to get far in King's Bounty is to absolutely minimize your losses.
    I'd add get Resurrection as soon as you can, that really made a difference for me. Since only one spell can be cast per round (unless you're a mage or get some skill later, I think), it's also sometimes necessary to stall your victory to be able to cast as many resurrections as possible. Leaving a badly beaten-down ranged unit alive works well for that purpose.

In that perspective, choosing skills that increase the mana pool and its regeneration is also useful.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Do you know which law? Because I know a lot of DD services start a game off at "x% off" for pre-order and first week sales. So the game is never actually sold at the full price until a week or two later.
    AFAIK, if you offer a pre-sale discount, you're expected to sell at the 'promised' higher price for at least 30 days once the product becomes available. Where you discount an existing product tho, you must have had the product on-sale in your store(s) (not all but at least one) for at least 30 days at the higher price and failure to do so can result in a fine (most UK Supermarkets and big-box retailers will have been fined at least once for this - it's a really common trick).

In the UK, the specifics are held in guidelines created by the Office of Fair Trading and the Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform (phew!) which you can read here

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/mar...oP/OFT1291.pdf

and here

http://www.bis.gov.uk/files/file46254.pdf

I believe they are implementations of EU guidelines and so something similar should exist in every EU member country - that's just the UK take on it.

It's that cross-border aspect of DD stores which probably makes them feel above this stuff. I once raised an issue like this with Steam who replied to say that it was a pricing error. It took them a week to reply and the 'error' was still there, they suggested I was mistaken the those rules would apply to them and when I replied to say I saw no reason why not, they stopped talking to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Thank goodness for demos. Binary Domain's reminded me that the voice recognition in that game doesn't work, and the controls are shit, thus saving me $7.

Activated Node
    Gamefly UK are doing Crusader Kings 2 for 8.75 (registers on Steam so no need to use their client) - It has probably been cheaper but I picked it up today and played for about 2 hours straight (only stopped because I lost already). It's awesome, so get it if you haven't yet!

(It's pretty bewildering at first, but I found this guy's videos to be a great help, albeit a bit slow)
    Last edited by Edlennion; 13-03-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edlennion View Post
    Gamefly UK are doing Crusader Kings 2 for 8.75 (registers on Steam so no need to use their client) - It has probably been cheaper but I picked it up today and played for about 2 hours straight (only stopped because I lost already). It's awesome, so get it if you haven't yet!

(It's pretty bewildering at first, but I found this guy's videos to be a great help, albeit a bit slow)
    Shame they aren't bundling it with the DLC. There have been quite a few Amazon bundles that have been cheaper than that price, with other games and/or DLC. Those bundles have been reoccurring so it might be worth a wait for that so you can bag it all in one go. Chances are that once you are bit you will be drooling over that extra DLC anyways.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The gog bundle thingum really is a good deal. I got Pid, Puddle, Defender Quest, Riddick: Assault on Dark Athens (remember no drm), Divinity 2 for $14

There are better games in the list I already own and some well regarded adventure (point 'n' click) but that whole genre is dead to me. That said, I think I got a good haul.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

GOG has FTL for 60 % off at $3.99. It's the same price on the game's site, including DRM-free version and Steam key. It'll likely be reduced on Steam soon too, but what's the point in that?

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/faster_t...6cac628dc194c5
    http://www.ftlgame.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    The Secret World is $19.99 on Amazon. It's been cheaper, but you also get $10 worth of points. Not sure if that covers the cost of just the issue 6 DLC, or both 6 and 5 (which is $5).

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    GOG has FTL for 60 % off at $3.99. It's the same price on the game's site, including DRM-free version and Steam key. It'll likely be reduced on Steam soon too, but what's the point in that?

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/faster_t...6cac628dc194c5
    http://www.ftlgame.com/
    I caved and bought it just for the DRM free version so I can play at work

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    The Secret World is $19.99 on Amazon. It's been cheaper, but you also get $10 worth of points. Not sure if that covers the cost of just the issue 6 DLC, or both 6 and 5 (which is $5).
    When you complete 30 quests you get another 1200 points. That only takes a couple of hours.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Amazon will also have this pack from 14th to 20th:

Cars, Jets, Dirt Bike Pack - $14.99 (All Steam) which will have

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon - $9.99
    MUD FIM Motocross World Championship - $8.99
    Ridge Racer Unbounded - $8.99 - You can buy it on its own for this price, not sure on the others

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    When you complete 30 quests you get another 1200 points. That only takes a couple of hours.
    I was waiting until TSW was dirt cheap, but this is a bit tempting. Partly out of pity for Funcom, for all their earnestness in the face of hardship. Do they want my pity money? Are people still playing?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I was waiting until TSW was dirt cheap, but this is a bit tempting. Partly out of pity for Funcom, for all their earnestness in the face of hardship. Do they want my pity money? Are people still playing?
    Yes, people are still playing.
    The vast majority of content can be played alone. In my 30 hours I only joined up with others for about five minutes. Quest-related creatures, items and events respawn super-fast or can be found in numbers larger than needed so you don't have to join others even if you're all doing the same thing. It's awesome as a singleplayer RPG, especially once you level up a bit and learn how to chain abilities.
    This is the first MMO that hooked me, I even subscribe to it although I don't have much time to play. It's a great game.

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    I have a lifetime sub to TSW but currently not playing.

But I will be dropping in tomorrow when the new issue (woot Indiana Jones whip!) goes live.

GamersGate seem to be having a Paradox sale. EU3 stuff is -75% today.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    GamersGate seem to be having a Paradox sale. EU3 stuff is -75% today.
    Not to mention the Salvage, Excavation & Transport simulator, dirt cheap.