Page 392 of 541 FirstFirst ... 292342382390391392393394402442492 ... LastLast
Results 7,821 to 7,840 of 10816

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    How could Final Fantasy VII possibly be overhyped? It was the killer app for the PSX. It influenced countless other games, including Planescape: Torment. It made having a complex story a thing. Overall it was a groundbreaking release and it arguably heaved the medium to a new level in many ways.
    Is it a perfect, flawless game? No, of course not. Don't be ridiculous.
    Even if you don't like the game - and I don't -, to deny its impact is nothing but ignorant.
    Having a complex story, a thing? And here I was thinking several 16-bit era JPRGs had complex and interesting stories (Chrono Trigger, FFVI, PS4). The ONLY thing FFVII has in it's favour is opening the western market to JRPGs, where until VII, very few had found reasonable sales numbers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I think claiming Final Fantasy 7 as having revolutionized RPGs is about the same as claiming Resident Evil 4 invented the QTE or that Morrowind invented "open world" RPGs.

RPGs with complex stories existed LONG before FF7 and FF7 was just building on the work previous (as did Planescape Torment, my personal favorite), but it didn't invent the concept. It is just the one that most gamers of this generation associate as their "first" so it is special to them.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    GMG adds XCOM as a bonus for the BioShock Infinite preorder. So you get Infinite, XCOM, the first Bioshock and another 2k game.
    Amazon gives XCOM and 30 dollars 2K credit valid one year.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

I will not derail with further talk about the importance of certain games.

Anyways, what's the verdict on that Magic the Gatheringstuff that's on Steam at the moment?
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The Steam daily is mis-leading. It's actually every Sonic game on Steam is 50% off (inc. all DLC).

-I strongly recommend Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed. Above thread should highlight that it's also well liked. Fantastic arcade racer, great production values, runs well. Up to 4 player split-screen. (Note: This makes getting the original sort of redundant, especially as it has no online component.)
    -Sonic Generations is a great homage to the Sonic franchise and a really fun game all round. Presentation is wonderful, with amazing visuals and music. It also goes on sale at perfect timing, as a mod porting all of the console box's Sonic Unleashed good levels has just been released, so you essentially double your Modern Sonic content! That said, SG has been on sale for more.
    -There's also the classics, 1-3&Knuckles. The emulator they come with works fine, so if you want them, there they are.
    -The re-release of Sonic CD is best on the PC. If you liked the classics, you'll definitely want to try this out. It's a bit different, with a bigger focus on exploration, but it plays as the others.
    -Sonic Adnvetures 1 and 2. 1 didn't have a great port, 2 had a much better one. Only played a bit of 1, didn't think it was very good. Haven't played 2, no interest to do so. They're generally liked by the fandom, but I do think they're indicative of the declining quality of the series.
    -3D Blast is not very good, unless you're a die-hard fanatic. Spinball is something different, but not really worth buying.
    -Avoid Sonic 4's two episode incarnations, especially if you liked the original Mega Drive titles.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

^

A faithful rendition of the cardgame in PC form. The biggest downside is the inability to create your own deck from scratch. You are stuck with a number of pre-determined decks that can be modified by unlocking up to 30 cards for each one. I played the analog form of the game for years and enjoyed this digital version as well.

Okay, but what about the DLC? There's almost fifty articles there.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The Steam daily is mis-leading. It's actually every Sonic game on Steam is 50% off (inc. all DLC).
    Correct, thanks for the additional info!
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    GMG adds XCOM as a bonus for the BioShock Infinite preorder. So you get Infinite, XCOM, the first Bioshock and another 2k game.
    Amazon gives XCOM and 30 dollars 2K credit valid one year.
    Gamersgate also added X-com to the bundle and as I mentioned before the game is cheaper if you buy it from the uk site (29.99).
    You also get 16$ in store credit (blue coins).

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Anyways, what's the verdict on that Magic the Gatheringstuff that's on Steam at the moment?
    What eRa said, pretty much.

Okay, but what about the DLC? There's almost fifty articles there.
    Most of 'em just unlock every card of a specific themed deck in-game. You can unlock cards by winning games with a deck, so these DLC's just act as a shortcut.

The "Deck Packs" each add one or two new decks to the game, which you can then play in the campaign as well as in the different multiplayer modes. The "Expansion" adds another solo campaign, although I don't know anything specific about that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Other downside to Duels of the Planewalkers is there'll be a new version next year, and every subsequent year, and everyone you were playing multiplayer with will get that and no one will want to play the old version.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Half the DLC will unlock decks without you having to do it, the other half will unlock all foil versions of those decks.

I have the 2012 version, I never play it online, but it can be a fun little time sink. Some of the challenges are great head for getting the gears going.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Other downside to Duels of the Planewalkers is there'll be a new version next year, and every subsequent year, and everyone you were playing multiplayer with will get that and no one will want to play the old version.
    You're better off playing the actual card game or playing the Magic The Gathering Online, it isn't as flashy but you can make your own deck.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Any Magic fan should try magarena. Download it before it gets sued! For being awesome!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    You're better off playing the actual card game or playing the Magic The Gathering Online, it isn't as flashy but you can make your own deck.
    Cost of buying MTG: Planeswalker - 5 bucks on sale, 10 bucks not on sale.
    Cost of buying actual MTG - your soul and hundreds if not thousands of dollars in cards.

Of course if you have fun with it, spend all the money you like, just expect to start paying out the nose for it and ending up binning/storing hundreds upon hundreds of cards that are worthless.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I bought the original MTG on Steam and enjoyed it (having not played any CCG before) - I understand the single-player bit has only gotten better and that most of the DLC is tat, just wait for the next annual update to go on sale and buy that instead...

Unless you get into playing online perhaps - then you might need some bits and the new version sooner perhaps - but then you'll be getting more from it and won't mind the extra cash?

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    I think claiming Final Fantasy 7 as having revolutionized RPGs is about the same as claiming Resident Evil 4 invented the QTE or that Morrowind invented "open world" RPGs.

RPGs with complex stories existed LONG before FF7 and FF7 was just building on the work previous (as did Planescape Torment, my personal favorite), but it didn't invent the concept. It is just the one that most gamers of this generation associate as their "first" so it is special to them.
    Having grown up on Bards Tale, Gold Box games, Wizardry and other notable and much older RPG's I'd like to wade in and fight the corner for FFVII. While it hasn't stood the test of time as well as some other games from the same generation (Suikoden II is still still looks and plays exceptionally on a HD TV) it was undoubtedly the first AAA JRPG and took the whole genre forward in terms of acceptance by the mainstream gaming public. The sheer polish and love that is evident within the production of that game went far beyond anything I'd experienced up to that point. Hell, some of the minigames within it like the Chocobo racing would have almost been standalone titles of their own.

The scenes at the funfair were amongst the most moving and powerful I'd seen from any game, let alone a cute(ish) looking JRPG. The graphics, for their time, were fantastic. Sure, the 3D parts of the graphics haven't aged well, but 3D graphics rarely do. I'm not sure it invented anything new in the genre, but it certainly did almost everything to a high standard and packaged it up in a way that hadn't been seen before. The hipsters doing down FFVII as only being special to younger (errr... late 20 something) gamers are misguided in their scorn.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I bought the original MTG on Steam and enjoyed it (having not played any CCG before) - I understand the single-player bit has only gotten better and that most of the DLC is tat, just wait for the next annual update to go on sale and buy that instead...

Unless you get into playing online perhaps - then you might need some bits and the new version sooner perhaps - but then you'll be getting more from it and won't mind the extra cash?
    Honestly, if you really want to play online, your best bet is to play MTG Online. You can get away really cheap if you just buy a base pack and trade for a pauper (all common) deck to compete with. Planeswalker is so limited in the decks you can play, there's almost nothing to it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Themadcow View Post
    Having grown up on Bards Tale, Gold Box games, Wizardry and other notable and much older RPG's I'd like to wade in and fight the corner for FFVII. While it hasn't stood the test of time as well as some other games from the same generation (Suikoden II is still still looks and plays exceptionally on a HD TV) it was undoubtedly the first AAA JRPG and took the whole genre forward in terms of acceptance by the mainstream gaming public. The sheer polish and love that is evident within the production of that game went far beyond anything I'd experienced up to that point. Hell, some of the minigames within it like the Chocobo racing would have almost been standalone titles of their own.

The scenes at the funfair were amongst the most moving and powerful I'd seen from any game, let alone a cute(ish) looking JRPG. The graphics, for their time, were fantastic. Sure, the 3D parts of the graphics haven't aged well, but 3D graphics rarely do. I'm not sure it invented anything new in the genre, but it certainly did almost everything to a high standard and packaged it up in a way that hadn't been seen before. The hipsters doing down FFVII as only being special to younger (errr... late 20 something) gamers are misguided in their scorn.
    Oh, I don't disagree that it revolutionized JRPGs. But JRPGs are just a subset (or distant cousin, depending on your beliefs) of RPGs as a whole.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.