Page 420 of 594 FirstFirst ... 320370410418419420421422430470520 ... LastLast
Results 8,381 to 8,400 of 11865

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    What's Settlers 2 like then? And what version is better, gold of tenth anniversary?
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Dead Island is also region-locked IIRC?
    There are at least some restrictions. You can't, for example, activate any retail key (the same goes for any key bought via DD) of DI in Germany. You can, however, get it gifted through Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Eff yeah. It's a better strategy remake than Starcraft 2 without any hyperbole.
    QFT

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Eff yeah. It's a better strategy remake than Starcraft 2 without any hyperbole.
    This is probably a good time to ask for "Helio's advice for getting started with Settlers 2."

Activated Node
    I'd like to know, too. I absolutely loved the original Settlers but didn't get round to playing Settlers 2, but heard good things about it.

The GOG comments seem to confirm the Anniversary edition is the one to go with.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The Walking Dead is $8.00 and Borderlands 2 is $10.88 with code GMG20-LLASD-D8WBQ over at GMG.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    How is HoMM? Is it the sort of game that takes a lot of breaking into? It looks like it could very much be a "one more turn" type thing.
    steam: sketch

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    What's Settlers 2 like then? And what version is better, gold of tenth anniversary?
    10th is better because it's prettier and it fixes bugs. 2 gold does have beautiful pixel art though. But a further out zoom, fast forward and working online multiplayer make 10th the way forward.

Edit: Settlers 2 is a game about logistics, it's not good enough to throw up 4 wood cutters huts willy nilly. You need demi soviet lines of production. I would avoid playing the campaign as aside from the first mission that introduces boats (where you can launch an amphibious blitzkrieg) they are laborious and grindy. Better is a skirmish which let's you see the whole game in its true glory.

Best of all is multiplayer, I advise you can defeat a 5vs1 of the hardest AI before knocking on my virtual door though. As I will wreck your shit with logistics.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 17-05-2013 at 07:24 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

So is Settlers 2 or Settlers 3 the better choice to start with? I've never played anything in the Settlers series. Also, any thoughts on "Imperialism 2"? It looks kind of like a primitive inspiration for the Paradox games. Anyone played it?

Geez, I need to stop looking at GOG sales. I already have such a huge backlog of old games to play. :)

Quote Originally Posted by iridescence View Post
    So is Settlers 2 or Settlers 3 the better choice to start with?
    3 is incandescent turd. 2 10th or 7(paths to a Kingdom) are the ones to play, 1 is nice for nostalgic reasons.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Best of all is multiplayer, I advise you can defeat a 5vs1 of the hardest AI before knocking on my virtual door though. As I will wreck your shit with logistics.
    I think this is the best thing I've ever read.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    How is HoMM? Is it the sort of game that takes a lot of breaking into? It looks like it could very much be a "one more turn" type thing.
    I don't find it that sort of game - it's basically exploring a map and choosing which bits to visit/use/pick-up/attack first.

The downside of all HOMM-like games to me tends to be the combat, which is often scrappy or simply 'who has the most units wins' - and most HOMM games have an auto-combat bit which tends to back-up my feelings I guess.

Upside is they're not Civ - but again that may just be me :)

working online multiplayer
    Gog's page says that "The game's multiplayer servers have been taken offline, however, multiplayer over LAN is still available." Is there a work-around? Sorry if I'm being dense.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Hmm... It might be offline recently, but you have gameranger support.

http://www.gameranger.com/games/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    I will never be able to read that as anything other than Gamer Anger.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

And now, neither will any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    And now, neither will any of us.
    Gamer Anger, for all those f┐#@king games the s#+&ty publishers have stopped supporting cú$íting servers for.

Network Hub
    3 is incandescent turd. 2 10th or 7(paths to a Kingdom) are the ones to play, 1 is nice for nostalgic reasons.
    Agreed. Any other version is not worth the time. 7 is somewhat different, especially with regards to combat but still very enjoyable (in these games combat is just a distraction from the real stuff anyway). Though beware that 7 comes with the shitty ubisoft start client (though I personally didn't have problems with it) and some people experience graphical bugs (I think tied to nvidia drivers, I had them and it kinda ruins the whole thing. They could be fixed by now.). And with that I'll just say 7 is currently on sale at gamersgate.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pertusaria View Post
    Gog's page says that "The game's multiplayer servers have been taken offline, however, multiplayer over LAN is still available." Is there a work-around? Sorry if I'm being dense.
    As I understand it, you're still able to host and join games via Direct IP connection or LAN (VPN). There's just no server browser to find public games anymore.

Thanks for clarifying!
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Bioshock Infinite is $35 on Amazon today (Gold Box). I haven't been following the price so I don't know if that deal is competitive.