Page 421 of 604 FirstFirst ... 321371411419420421422423431471521 ... LastLast
Results 8,401 to 8,420 of 12063

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Free is the best kind of cheap, whenh people pay you ther is usually a catch.

Dungeon land is 4, any idea if this is actually good?
    http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-DLAND/dungeonland
    metacritic sits it at 67, and the reviews don't seem like they really gave it the time it needed to grow in the mind like a good mp game should.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 20-05-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Free is the best kind of cheap, whenh people pay you ther is usually a catch.

metacritic sits it at 67, and the reviews don't seem like they really gave it the time it needed to grow in the mind like a good mp game should.
    Look up Total Biscuit's videos on the game. It definitely has the potential to be a lot of fun, but only if you have a core group to play with on a regular basis.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Is Steam's deal for Sleeping Dogs a good one? $12 for the base game. Also how fundamental is the DLC?

The Vampire DLC is great fun even if the finale is a bit wearing but the rest isn't really essential in any way whatsoever.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sopabuena View Post
    Is Steam's deal for Sleeping Dogs a good one? $12 for the base game. Also how fundamental is the DLC?
    It has been on offer on the Squeenix Store for 6.24 and I think I saw a similar deal on Get Games recently. That said, I'd definitely recommend Sleeping Dogs, it just has been cheaper elsewhere.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    It has been cheaper and I'd wager in the next steam sale you'll be able to get all of it (base game and DLC) for around the same price. I agree with TechnoJellyfish though, Sleeping Dogs gets a big recommendation from me.

On the DLC, the clothes and car packs aren't up to much. They're fun and cheap but not essential at all. Most of them give you in game bonuses or little fun things, like one of them might make you do more melee damage and another will slow down time when you're about to be hit. They're just bits of fun. Some of the car packs also give you a mission to do, but it's not really a story at all and it's usually just something regular. I bought them because I felt bad for buying Sleeping Dogs so cheap after release (I got it for about a tenner on some site linked here months back).

The rest of the DLC though, the more expensive story ones are all worth it. Basically they're all silly parodies of classic Honk Kong movies. You've got a horror themed one where you unlock the ability to go super sayian and pretend you're Dragonball Z battling the undead and demons. Then there's another which is like a 70's kung fu movie where you're brought to an exotic island where a fighting tournament is being run by an old guy with an eye patch. Then there's the spy one, where you're giving a prototype car that basically is the batmobile, complete with mini-guns, boost, auto pilot and EMP pulses designed to knock out other cars.

Those three are really fun, but none of them are story missions or add anything else to the story. They basically take you and put you in a different movie and let you keep the gameplay of Sleeping Dogs.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

I think I mentioned it earlier in "What are you playing"-thread, but it's great fun if you have a group of 4 people and play with Hard-difficulty, anything below that makes it impossible for the DM to win. It's cheesy and rather simplistic fun, but the tricks the DM can unlock after few sessions spice up things very nicely.

Steam has a deal on all the Unreal games - two singleplayer, three Tournament - for 75% off. The first Unreal is a classic singleplayer FPS of the old school and Unreal Tournament 2004's fast-paced multiplayer is still an absolute blast to play. I'd say it's worth getting.

If you want to play THE RIGHT Alien Swarm unfettered by unlocks you need ut2004.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Steam also had 50% off most of the Strike Suit titles (apart from the new DLC?) - I'm still in 2 minds about those, they look lovely but by all accounts don't play all that well!?

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Steam also had 50% off most of the Strike Suit titles (apart from the new DLC?) - I'm still in 2 minds about those, they look lovely but by all accounts don't play all that well!?
    From my limited experience with it (I lost interest): If you approach it like Freespace, it is horrible and you WILL die. If you actually take advantage of the Strike Suit itself and focus on the game mechanics, it is actually really fun.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

If you want to play THE RIGHT Alien Swarm unfettered by unlocks you need ut2004.
    What does that mean?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    From my limited experience with it (I lost interest): If you approach it like Freespace, it is horrible and you WILL die. If you actually take advantage of the Strike Suit itself and focus on the game mechanics, it is actually really fun.
    Someone on Steam described it as a cross between a basic Freespace and an old PSX title called Omega Boost - and I LOVED Omega Boost to bits (it was space based lockon shooter - from the people who made Panzer Dragoon which was also a lockon shooter of course)

Now that you mention it, it DOES remind me a lot of Omega Boost. I too loved the demo of that.

And I would compare it to Freespace with a simile:
    SS0 is to Freespace as Bulletstorm is to Unreal. Yes, you can approach it as a generic space fighter/FPS, but it is really about knowing how to maintain combos and manipulate your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    What does that mean?
    Valve rereleased Alien Swarm on steam, but they added grinding. The old ut2004 mod had per campaign leveling but dying* or finishing the story reset it. You can't balance a game around a billion variations of unlocked equipment, you can't know if you have sent 'too many' enemies when players need to grind, conversely experienced players do not need the "easy mode" of better equipment.

*on harder difficulties dying was permanent until the next campaign start too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Alan Wake and his American Nightmare are currently the Humble Weekly, seems worthwhile. Also I picked up inMomentum from GMG for 1.36 with the code that can be found on RPS' favourite deal-sniffing site. All in all it would've been a good, cheap day had my girlfriend not tricked me into buying a) the new Daft Punk album (I'm still in 'give it a chance' mode though) and b) her birthday present a month early. Oh well.

Network Hub
    Spaceweekend on GamersGate. Too many games to list, but there's Endless space, AI Was, sots, moo and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Spaceweekend on GamersGate. Too many games to list, but there's Endless space, AI Was, sots, moo and so on.
    Geez the GG UI sucks. I spotted no meaningful way to access the list of space games on sale, other than waiting for some kind of banner popping up in the main page (possibly hopeless) or trawling through the total list of all games on sale, which in true GG style includes also games that are not in sale. SIGH.

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    Geez the GG UI sucks. I spotted no meaningful way to access the list of space games on sale, other than waiting for some kind of banner popping up in the main page (possibly hopeless) or trawling through the total list of all games on sale, which in true GG style includes also games that are not in sale. SIGH.
    Here you go.

http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/games?pr...end&aff=ggnews

Quote Originally Posted by Velko View Post
    You could also use http://isthereanydeal.com/#/ to find the deal and then go to GG. It's much more convenient.

It does however ensure you throw your wallet not only at GG, but also Steam, GMG, etc.