Page 429 of 589 FirstFirst ... 329379419427428429430431439479529 ... LastLast
Results 8,561 to 8,580 of 11773

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Retro/Grade - the reverse shmup/rhythm title is on-sale both on Steam and on the developer's own site (Humble Store with DRM-free or Steam key options) right now

http://www.retrogradegame.com/BuyItPage.html

$3.40 on Humble - may be more/less on Steam depending on your currency exchange etc!?

There's a nice piece from GDC by the developer - seems it was something of an epic project for him!!

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017963...nt-Retro-Grade

I'm just downloading now - I'm a sucker for games which are too complicated to easily describe :)

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Retro/Grade - the reverse shmup/rhythm title is on-sale both on Steam and on the developer's own site (Humble Store with DRM-free or Steam key options) right now
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention! This somehow dropped off my radar after I've seen a gameplay video a while ago.

I'm just downloading now - I'm a sucker for games which are too complicated to easily describe :)
    Three words: Guitar Hero in space. Despite the looks, it's a pure rhythm game very much in the vein of GH - but one that comes with great visuals and a fantastic soundtrack. It's only got 10 levels (I played through the campaign on Beginner difficulty in ~ 40 minutes) but there are 5 difficulty levels - and if it's anything like GH, this is where the real meat is.

The developer stated somewhere, that the game did quite terrible saleswise. And I don't think many people are playing this indeed - I ended up in the top 100 on the leaderboards on every level on my first playthrough and managed top 10 on a second try. Which is a damn shame, because - although it may not be the most groundbreaking idea - the game is very well executed and feels very polished in every respect.

Get it - just don't expect a shmup!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's really interesting playing Retro/Grade AFTER watching the video from GDC - because it's so easy to see where they poured a TONNE of time into stuff which is peripheral (but amazingly pretty).

Only downside - initially - is that the graphics are VERY busy for a game where you're supposed to be watching a lot of things and dodging/catching stuff.

The whole 'in reverse' thing is super-well-done tho - the tutorial even tells you how to do things AFTER they happen ;)

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    Only downside - initially - is that the graphics are VERY busy for a game where you're supposed to be watching a lot of things and dodging/catching stuff.
    Didn't have much of a problem with that - but then again, I've only played on 'Beginner' so far.

The whole 'in reverse' thing is super-well-done tho - the tutorial even tells you how to do things AFTER they happen ;)
    They really did go all out on that theme, yes. Don't want to spoil anything but they put lots of clever details in there.

Activated Node
    Not a bargain per sé, as it's still at what we'd normally consider "full price", but Steam have reduced the price of preordering TW Rome II to £29.99 - a 33% discount for UK customers. Those of us in euroland are still being shafted with a €55 price tag however. Sigh.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by McSasquatch View Post
    Not a bargain per sé, as it's still at what we'd normally consider "full price", but Steam have reduced the price of preordering TW Rome II to £29.99 - a 33% discount for UK customers. Those of us in euroland are still being shafted with a €55 price tag however. Sigh.
    Fwiw I believe amazon have the same price and greenmangaming is a few £ cheaper

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    The Dungeon Siege games are the daily on Steam. I have the third but got tired eventually. I've heard that the first games are quite different (and that there's some sort of schism between fans of the older and newer games), but how exactly? Also, how long are the games? The shorter, the better, really.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The first DS is a solid old-school ARPG with a decent story, some decent combat, loads of loot - it was great back-in-the-day

The second DS is a bit odd, it was a group-based ARPG with a difficulty curve all-over-the-place and some odds ideas.

BOTH of these are aging games now and I've never them to work properly on W7 (tho there's loads of patches and stuff which pupports to do this and many people report better results that I) - Steam basically says "XP and that's it" tho.

It's a first for DS and DSII to be available on Steam without buying the whole pack tho I think??

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was wrong about everything!
    Last edited by Giaddon; 04-06-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Activated Node
    They work both fine in Win7 64bit for me, Steam versions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    While good deals on Steam the bigger part of me feels like it's worth waiting to see if the older Dungeon Siege games come out on GOG. They're the perfect sort of candidate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    While good deals on Steam the bigger part of me feels like it's worth waiting to see if the older Dungeon Siege games come out on GOG. They're the perfect sort of candidate.
    They were MGS published originally so I think it's a miracle they're around at all - see Freelancer, Rise of Nations etc. for what happens to their stuff in DD terms otherwise...

I'm pretty sure, in fact, that DS and DS2 have only been on Steam for the 'full pack' deal until recently? I know before I sold-off my copy of DS2 (for which I was paid more than I expected) it was considered a hard-to-get game.

I mainly bought Dungeon Siege for Ultima 5 Lazrus:
    http://www.u5lazarus.com/

which I've been wanting to play for a while and requires the 1st DS game to run. Wanted to buy it a few months ago but it was $30 just for the 1st game which seemed ridiculous for such an old game. Glad I waited...

Okay, I'll hold off on buying them then. I'm in no rush, and might as well see if they turn up on GOG, since they don't seem to be a vital part of a self-respecting gamer's library.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    DARK SOULS (£10 on GMG or £8 via savvy - http://savygamer.co.uk/2013/06/05/da...-edition-pc-8/)

DARK SOULS

Sangfroid is the Steam daily deal for 7 euro (50% off). I'm going to be mean and wait for a deeper discount, because tower defence isn't really my thing (to utter the dreaded phrase), but RPS and Scientific Gamer both liked it, albeit with some niggles.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post
    DARK SOULS (£10 on GMG or £8 via savvy - http://savygamer.co.uk/2013/06/05/da...-edition-pc-8/)

DARK SOULS
    Nice one, I missed it during the Amazon sale, they ran outta keys.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

http://www.retrogradegame.com/BuyItPage.html

$3.40 on Humble - may be more/less on Steam depending on your currency exchange etc!?

There's a nice piece from GDC by the developer - seems it was something of an epic project for him!!

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1017963...nt-Retro-Grade

wow, thanks man. I'm just glad I saw this in time. Buying from humble is always a win-win. the developer gets more money, I - a european - pay less (I didn't really think that through, so please don't call me on my bullshit) and get a drm-free version!

Seems like we've got a new indie kid on the block in Digital Distribution Town: http://www.shinyloot.com/

Their homepage doesn't have games on it; there's just a search bar. Their catalogue is extensively stocked with indie games, and they obsessively sort these into genres and sub-genres. Their reasoning seems to be that if you feel like playing a logic puzzle game, or an economic sim, they can give more exposure to the lesser-known indie games in that genre by showing them in the search results.

I doubt that it'll bring them much success, but their prices seem to be reasonable at least, so I'd say it's worth looking at.

Not a bargain, but pricing stuff:

Apparently, GMG has changed the currency for us Swedes. While we used to pay in USD, we now pay in GBP. It's quite odd, seeing that the Euro would be a more obvious alternative. Anyway, I turn to you, my British brethren with a question: Have you noticed a difference in pricing between GBP and USD on GMG, or is it a straight conversion?

The fact that they priced in USD before was actually the main reason for me shopping there, so this might have a significant impact on where I buy games.