Page 431 of 594 FirstFirst ... 331381421429430431432433441481531 ... LastLast
Results 8,601 to 8,620 of 11866

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It need be said that giving away a Desura key when you're using the Steam key is a bit dodgy - it's pretty-damn-close to piracy really.

It's arguable whether you have the right to give away individual games from bundles - but you're effectively turning every bundle purchase into 2 of each of the games which I think is taking the piss.

See Steamgifts.com for a horde of people doing that through a system so stupid it's hard to think down to it's level...

How much do the expansions (other than the new one) add to AI War? I have the base game, but haven't got around to it - is it just amazingly better with the expansions, and I should go ahead and get them (assuming I'll get around to it eventually), or is it more nuanced than that?
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Quote Originally Posted by mnemnoch View Post
    Also, your desura key is the same as the url link for the download page of the bundle. So be careful giving that away unless you activate all the steam key that you need.
    That was exactly what I meant when I said it's the key for the bundle itself.

@trjp you do have a point there, although my view on the subject is that a lot of people simply don't use Desura and thus, until yesteday, it was hard to actually get rid of a Desura key (ask me how I know). Now: I don't know how much of that has changed after GalaGiveaways started handling Desura GAs, but the reason I usually point the Desura key thing out is that, with it being not publicized at all, it wouldn't be too hard for someone to accidentally lose their unredeemed Steam keys.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    AI War expansions add a ton of stuff, but that's an accurate way of putting it- they add stuff. All the improvements to the core game that came with the expansions got worked into vanilla too, but it's a much bigger and more varied game with the expansions. I think that buying all the expansions and turning everything on for your first game would be... not advisable. I'd look through what each adds and activate a couple that seem most appealing.

It really is a game with practically unmatched replay value. No game needs to be like any other.

Thanks, Arathain, that's pretty clear. I'll try to move AI War closer to the top of the backlog pile.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Banned
    Dark Souls worth getting at that price? Or is it getting cheaper anytime soon?

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    It need be said that giving away a Desura key when you're using the Steam key is a bit dodgy - it's pretty-damn-close to piracy really.

It's arguable whether you have the right to give away individual games from bundles - but you're effectively turning every bundle purchase into 2 of each of the games which I think is taking the piss.
    How is it "piracy" to give away something which one legally owns?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    How is it "piracy" to give away something which one legally owns?
    From a purely legal standpoint: There is nothing wrong as you were given two licenses.

But I think most of us would agree that we are really buying one license in multiple forms with a bundle purchase. So it is like the old trick of installing a game on a friend's PC and letting them use the second disc to launch the game while you use the first disc to launch it. At the very least, a pretty grey area.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Lesser Hivemind Node TechnoJellyfish's Avatar
    In my book it's absolutely okay to give away individual keys of games you happen to own already. But redeeming all the Steam keys and then go ahead and give away the bundle/Desura key? That's practically like doubling all the licenses you purchased with the bundle (and no, I don't think you're given two licenses for every game; you get one license per game which you can redeem with two different content delivery systems). I wouldn't call such behavior piracy but it is morally questionable at the very least.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Dark Souls worth getting at that price? Or is it getting cheaper anytime soon?
    Yes, but you need to be okay with 3rd person action games and roguelikes all at once. It's harsh.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Dark Souls is a cruel mistress. It cares little about your needs and desires. It tells you that those who fail to beat will mereyl be fodder for tose who are worthy in form of the hollow ones. I deinstalled it twice before I got anywhere. Ultimately I say it's one of the best games I have ever played. It's not perfect, not at all but it's certainly more than the sum of its parts.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post

See Steamgifts.com for a horde of people doing that through a system so stupid it's hard to think down to it's level...
    I absolutely agree with the Desura part. It's fine to split bundles in my eyes (steam would just have a single code if it wasn't), but you buy the game for yourself, not yourself and another person.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Yes, but you need to be okay with 3rd person action games and roguelikes all at once. It's harsh.
    It's not really anything like a Rogue game - they kill you FOREVER, this just kills you a LOT, you lose relatively little progress (compared to most rogue games).

I'm surprised it's been as popular on PC given that it's very console focussed and a shoddy port, but it seems the nails-hard difficulty and utter lack of any actual 'game' in there are popular with people.

If you like a game which makes you think before you act, does not reward button mashing and which you'll die in a LOT - it's your sort of game for sure.

I found it just a bit remorseless, it likes killing with with zero warning - death is how you learn in fact it's pretty much the ONLY way to learn

Hey ho

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    I absolutely agree with the Desura part. It's fine to split bundles in my eyes (steam would just have a single code if it wasn't), but you buy the game for yourself, not yourself and another person.
    If I buy more than one copy of a game, I'm buying them for whomever I please. If a dev doesn't want me to own more than one copy of their game, they shouldn't sell me more than one copy of their game.

Just thinking aloud, here. I've never given away a key and can't imagine why I ever would, but if doing it were unethical, wouldn't it be just as unethical to buy any bundle at all? Everyone who joins a bundle is already selling each copy of their game at a loss, and we're already taking advantage of that just by buying. You could say the same about waiting for a Steam sale (or buying used books, or going to yard sales, etc., etc.)

No?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Dark Souls is a cruel mistress. It cares little about your needs and desires. It tells you that those who fail to beat will mereyl be fodder for tose who are worthy in form of the hollow ones. I deinstalled it twice before I got anywhere. Ultimately I say it's one of the best games I have ever played. It's not perfect, not at all but it's certainly more than the sum of its parts.
    Everytime someone opens his/her mind to the magnificence that is Dark/Demon Souls, I feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    It makes me a bit sad there's noone here playing Demon Souls. I know it's PS3 only, but I'd love to co-op it a bit.
    steam: sketch

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    If I buy more than one copy of a game, I'm buying them for whomever I please. If a dev doesn't want me to own more than one copy of their game, they shouldn't sell me more than one copy of their game.

Just thinking aloud, here. I've never given away a key and can't imagine why I ever would, but if doing it were unethical, wouldn't it be just as unethical to buy any bundle at all? Everyone who joins a bundle is already selling each copy of their game at a loss, and we're already taking advantage of that just by buying. You could say the same about waiting for a Steam sale (or buying used books, or going to yard sales, etc., etc.)

No?
    There's no such thing as selling a game at a loss, since the cost of producing copies after the initial build is zero. Making a game means investing time and money, and once the game is done you're expecting the profits to exceed the investment, but that doesn't mean you need to sell x copies to get to that point. That's why it's not unethical to pay the lowest price the developer is willing to take, although paying more than that is obviously a virtuous thing to do, especially when given the option.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    There's no such thing as selling a game at a loss,
    Sure there is. It's any amount lower than the developer thinks their product is actually worth given how they value the time and money they put into it, and what kind of lifestyle they realistically think selling games should help them achieve. The price of everything on the market comes down to, at some point, purely subjective values. It's just a little more obvious when the things aren't physical.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
    It makes me a bit sad there's noone here playing Demon Souls. I know it's PS3 only, but I'd love to co-op it a bit.
    I'm pretty sure they turned the servers off, it's single player only now anyway?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan View Post
    I'm pretty sure they turned the servers off, it's single player only now anyway?
    I know the US servers are still going, but they aren't doing world tendency events anymore which kind of puts a damper on things.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.