Page 455 of 604 FirstFirst ... 355405445453454455456457465505555 ... LastLast
Results 9,081 to 9,100 of 12064

Thread: PC Bargains

It's worth noting that the only DRM free version of Trine 2 is the Linux one. Everything for Windows is steam-only, even the humble store gives you a key. There's been some discussions, DRM-free for windows was promised for 2012 and now there is no release date in sight.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alset85 View Post
    It's worth noting that the only DRM free version of Trine 2 is the Linux one. Everything for Windows is steam-only, even the humble store gives you a key. There's been some discussions, DRM-free for windows was promised for 2012 and now there is no release date in sight.
    Good to know, thanks! Steam version will work quite acceptably; though it's annoying to have to maintain multiple logins for multiplayer, the PC Bargain Factor (and wizard-crate factor) sufficiently atones.
    Last edited by Berzee; 24-07-2013 at 04:53 AM.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Banned
    Risen for $2.50 on gamersgate. Thoughts?

Lesser Hivemind Node internetonsetadd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    I thought it had a pretty strong, intriguing opening. I stopped playing when I started meeting the inhabitants of the island and it became clear that the game was going to be them-heavy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by internetonsetadd View Post
    I thought it had a pretty strong, intriguing opening. I stopped playing when I started meeting the inhabitants of the island and it became clear that the game was going to be them-heavy.
    Yeah, I thought it was quite good. The late game has the double downfalls of 1) "here is the part where the main plot requires you collect X of a thing from various dungeons" and 2) the impact of leveling up seemed to somewhat decrease in thrillz (at least for my class). But that was after many hours of interesting, semi-clunky exploration and sidequesting and meeting weird people, so I have good memories of that game despite abandoning it halfway.
    Support for my all-pepperjack-cheese food bank charity drive has been lukewarm at best.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemnoch View Post
    If you buy it in their humble store, you can get a steam key + drm free version

http://kentuckyroutezero.com/
    Damn. I got it from the Dev for a few bucks more than that during the steam sale ($18?). Oh well. I've heard it's worth it.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

System Shock 2 is available for 75% off on gamersgate, for anyone who missed it in the summer sale.

It is supposedly DRM-free, which makes it easier to install the essential mods than on steam, which only lets you have one game folder per hard drive, and if that one is on your programs folder, the system shock 2 mod tool will not support it. :(

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant god View Post
    System Shock 2 is available for 75% off on gamersgate, for anyone who missed it in the summer sale.

It is supposedly DRM-free, which makes it easier to install the essential mods than on steam, which only lets you have one game folder per hard drive, and if that one is on your programs folder, the system shock 2 mod tool will not support it. :(
    The GoG forums have an excellent write up of how to get it running nicely, whether or not you have the GoG version.

Edit: Oh. Silly me. That's exactly what you linked to. :P
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    The GoG forums have an excellent write up of how to get it running nicely, whether or not you have the GoG version.

Edit: Oh. Silly me. That's exactly what you linked to. :P
    There's this one for the Steam version:
    http://blog.pcgamingwiki.com/modding...-modding-guide

It does look like you can have two Steam game folders on the same partition, but I haven't tried it.

Quote Originally Posted by Similar View Post
    There's this one for the Steam version:
    http://blog.pcgamingwiki.com/modding...-modding-guide

It does look like you can have two Steam game folders on the same partition, but I haven't tried it.
    Steam Mover would probably also solve the problem for those who've already installed to Program Files, no?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's worth it for $2.50. It's basically half a Gothic game.

Tomb Raider: Explorer Edition - £7.50 (Steam)

Borderlands 2 - €7.49 (Steam)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I played until maybe an hour after Alec gave up http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...-risen-report/

Was really fun while I played it, but I just lost interest after a while. One day I'll probably do another run (possibly as a fighter instead of a mage, since being gimped for the first half of the game was kind of annoying).
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    STALKER is on the daily deal for Steam, all three games are on sale as well, so make sure you don't miss any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Firewhisper View Post
    STALKER is on the daily deal for Steam, all three games are on sale as well, so make sure you don't miss any of them.
    Is Chernobyl the best one to get?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbick View Post
    Is Chernobyl the best one to get?
    Chernobyl or Pripyat. Pripyat is a bit more streamlined, but Chernobyl is larger and a bit more weird.
    Not really sure I could pick one over the other, but I probably do play Pripyat more than Chernobyl.

Silent Storm Gold is 4.99 USD in GOG's Soviet Strategy Strike sale:
    http://www.gog.com/promo/soviet_strategy_strike_260713

Network Hub
    Chernobyl and Pripyat are the two to go for really, Chernobyl has various mods that redesign some parts and make additions to the game that greatly improve the overall experience. There's the Complete mod as well as a few others I can't quite recall, but they also offer graphical improvements.

Pripyat is also rather good, and there is a large mod being released for it too that also contains a lot of improvements for the game. Clear Sky is the weakest one so you might not miss it unless you really want more STALKER, but then you can just pick it up next sale.

Network Hub
    Shadow of Chernobyl is the best in term of ambiance. By far.
    Clear Sky was a little disappointing at release but it was due a lack of balance and some useless systems that needed heavy tweaking. Still a great game, but the worse of the Stalkers. I heard it's gotten really good with mods.
    Pripyat is the last and is excellent. It's more balanced, a bit easier than SoC. It's the most accessible, which doesn't mean it's dumbed down.

If you're not really convinced of the concept and are afraid you won't like the game, try Pripyat because it's the most immediate fun you'll have in the serie.
    If the concept of being dropped in a mysterious and dangerous Zone is appealing to you, start directly with Shadow of Chernobyl.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Misery 2.0 is coming out soon for Pripyat - http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery

Its looks great for a mod, so that should add to Pripyat. I would go for Pripyat first, if you like the game, then pick up the others cheap in a future sale.

If you buy all 3 Stalker games GamersGate has them 50 cents cheaper than Steam. $12 instead of $12.50