Page 466 of 569 FirstFirst ... 366416456464465466467468476516566 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,320 of 11366

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    DS3 has a number of issues really - whether they'll bother you is upto you

1 - it's nothing like DS or DS2 - this is the big stopper for many people
    2 - it's very console/TV-with-a-controller focussed in menus and controls and stuff like that (the initial port was pretty lazy - they did tweak it a bit tho)
    3 - the difficulty is all-over-the-fucking-place - going from tedious to ball-crushingly unfair as it sees fit
    4 - the customisation you have is linear, dull and almost completely pointless as makes so little difference to anything anyway - which removes a lot of the 'carrot and stick' aspect of levelling.

That all being said - I mostly enjoyed the time I spent with it - as a 'console ARPG' it's better than Sacred2 IMO (and there aren't too many console ARPGs!!)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Played a few hours in DS3 coop with my 6 year old on 2 pads, Yeah. Its a pretty simple, but that's okay. I like letting her make the moral decisions, she's quite the mercenary.

Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    Yes, very much so. It has the most emphasis on skill of any action RPG
    *smirks*
    That's a touch like saying "most strategic" hidden object game.
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 28-08-2013 at 10:13 PM.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lewie Procter View Post
    Time for a pro to dish out some advice on SR4.

I spoke to Nuuvem, who have been the cheapest place to order it from for a while. They had described it as being region free up until recently (I think yesterday). They have sourced some region free keys, however, so anyone who has ordered it from outside Brazil before they noted that it was Brazil only will be receiving a region free key.

They are also going to have a separate listing for the region free version in a few days time, but they couldn't confirm if it will be the same price as the Brazilian version.

There's a few other places that claim to have a region free version available for cheap, but I figured it would be best to wait and confirm that they are, rather than encourage people to buy serials that might not work for them.

I will have the best deal listed on SavyGamer once I have been able to confirm it's validity. I am pretty confident I will be able to find it for sub-£25, but we'll have to wait and see.
    Quick update to this. I received a European key from Nuuvem for this earlier today which was a huge relief. I was worried that was £21 up the spout.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Casimir Effect's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mnemnoch View Post
    Currently trying to finish DS3. How long is the DLC anyway? I agree with all the recommendation above. The only thing I dont like is the difficulty spike that I encounter in the 1st archon.

Also JEYNE KASSYNDER!! If I hear another one of those in the DLC Im going to uninstall.
    It takes around 4-5 hours maybe, and tends to be far better balanced than the main game. That fight against the 1st archon (Rajani?) is a right pain mainly due to space constraints and that those things on the floor she casts do silly amounts of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    *smirks*
    That's a touch like saying "most strategic" hidden object game.
    A glass of water from a tap in central London will taste as sweet as a fine wine to a man trapped in a desert. Action RPGs have the problem that they can be pretty boring, and so hope that the pretty lights, number of enemies and plethora of stats will keep you occupied such that you don't realise you could be replaced by a vibrator properly balanced on the left-mouse button. Hell, fun though it was my main criticism of Dungeon Siege 1 was that it was basically a screen saver. That little bit more interaction in DS3 means it's now pretty hard for me to go back to a Diablo, Titan Quest or Torchlight.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Action RPGs have the problem that they can be pretty boring, and so hope that the pretty lights, number of enemies and plethora of stats will keep you occupied such that you don't realise you could be replaced by a vibrator properly balanced on the left-mouse button.
    Or that if you do realize that, you don't think of anything better to do with your vibrator.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    You could use the vibrator to condition yourself, Pavlov-style, to associate action RPGs with happy-times. Eventually, you could do away with the vibrator altogether.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    You could use the vibrator to condition yourself, Pavlov-style, to associate action RPGs with happy-times. Eventually, you could do away with the vibrator altogether.
    To truly do this pavlov style, you'd have to get very good at timing, and it would be pairing a particular action RPG-related stimulus with happy-times feeling rather than the games in general.

A more Skinner-box kind of conditioning would work though with enough iterations.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 29-08-2013 at 04:43 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Quote Originally Posted by ColOfNature View Post
    Wizardry finally unmasked.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteC View Post
    Quick update to this. I received a European key from Nuuvem for this earlier today which was a huge relief. I was worried that was £21 up the spout.
    Kumbaso.com have keys for sale for £29 now but no idea how legit they are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Steam are doing a sale on all the Greenlit titles thusfar - as it's been a year yada yada

http://store.steampowered.com/sale/greenlightsale

Mostly, I'm a bit disappointed at that line-up tbh - there's a few nice games in there but quite a lot of 'meh'...

I actually only own about 3 of them... only one of those I deliberately bought (others came in bundles)...

That means that

a - Steam were actually pretty good at finding the games I wanted without any external help
    b - the Steam Community's taste and mine do not match...

Im interested in Gnomoria. Anyone played that yet?
    Add me: Steam, Raptr: mnem

Network Hub
    Amazon.com's got a bunch of stuff on sale.
    http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=amb_link...d_i=B00AR05D78

Anyone know if the Age of Empires Bundle is region-locked?
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...d_i=7266959011

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Best deal I noticed on Amazon (US - needs account yada yada) is XCOM + it's 2 DLCs for $10 (£6-odd)

http://www.amazon.com/X-COM-UNKNOWN-...my+unknown+dlc

Of the Greenlight bundle, Kentucky Route Zero, Waking Mars and Papers, Please are all good; Incredipede is frustrating but in a good way. As Papers has just come out, the discount is small, so if you're waiting for a sale I'd wait a bit longer. Great game though - I think the beta's still up on the dev's site as a demo.

I'm interested in Miasmata and Anodyne, but I'll probably sit this one out, as August has been expensive.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    I concur with the above (except I haven't played KRZ, I do want it though) and would also like to include Reciever, Organ Trail and Primordia. Surgeon Sim 2013 would get a mention on the condition that you never actually try to play it properly and treat it as a very well executed practical joke (I believe the kids would call it a 'troll') because the controls are so horrible. Also DLC Quest and McPixel are probably worth their prices, the former is very short but will make you smile once, the latter I have no clue about but I bought it with card money so whatever.

I've got my eye on Receiver and Miasmata. I haven't bought that many stuff recently, so I can easily spend like €10. Fly'n and Incredipede I have already played, and for that price they come highly recommended. I was looking at Edge of Space too, but I don't think I want to pay up for an early access game that's so content-heavy right now.

I was considering La-Mulana as well, but Spelunky didn't really appeal to me, but Cave Story really, really did, so I don't know. Would anyone recommend it to me?

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I was considering La-Mulana as well, but Spelunky didn't really appeal to me, but Cave Story really, really did, so I don't know. Would anyone recommend it to me?

I have the exact same question!

Natural Selection 2 is 75% off on Steam and has a free weekend.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    I have the exact same question!
    La Mulana is a very different to Cave Story IMO

Cave Story is a platform shooter 'vania-style game wheras La Mulana is a slower-paced exploration/puzzle/platformer.

I don't really like Spelunky much and I bounced-off La Mulana for similar reasons - I especially found it just a bit too keen to make me go around in circles (see 1000 Amps for a similar experience)

and I enjoyed Cave Story quite a bit, so...

La Mulana is a linear game with hand made puzzles and challenges, spelunky is procedurally generated game which cannot be predicted.

Rather different despite the fedoras.