Page 472 of 608 FirstFirst ... 372422462470471472473474482522572 ... LastLast
Results 9,421 to 9,440 of 12160

Thread: PC Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Hearts of Iron III is on sale at Gamersgate for 2.5 euros.
    It's just the base game, which you can probably find from some trader for less..? since it's been in an IndieGala.

Or, if you can wait, it'll probably pop up in some Amazon bundle; more expensive on the whole, but will likely feature the Complete package and come with other games.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrki View Post
    Hearts of Iron III is on sale at Gamersgate for 2.5 euros.

I haven't played it but I'm very interested and I was wondering if someone could help me explain the game a bit. How does it play, is it turn based, difficulty and such? I enjoy CKII and EU, but the aspects I enjoy the most are building, developing and researching, while the combat is not central to me. Now, I don't expect to go through WWII without combat but I'm not sure if there's any more to it that that or is it just a more complicated Panzer General?
    The basic game itself is really, really bad. If you're going there, you need the expansions. And even then, as a gameplay experience it (IMO) remains inferior to its predecessor or its spinoffs - most prominently Darkest Hour, the best WWII grand strategy game available.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    The basic game itself is really, really bad. If you're going there, you need the expansions. And even then, as a gameplay experience it (IMO) remains inferior to its predecessor or its spinoffs - most prominently Darkest Hour, the best WWII grand strategy game available.
    Yep. And after getting into DH if you have any passing interest in alt-history scenarios I can't recommend Kaiserreich enough. There's so much detail and generally good stuff in it.
    Steam ID ; GFWL: alset85

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Dishonored is 75% off on Nuuvem for the next 7 hours, and it seems there are plenty of other offers as well. The site is very slow, though.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    As for passing-on keys - whilst many people do it, I believe that giving-away just some of the keys from bundle or other 'grouped' purchase is morally indistinguishable from piracy
    Permanently giving away something you legally purchased is pretty easily distinguished from piracy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Sharing a game you are not permitted to share? Nope, still piracy.

Edit: you aren't giving it away because a drm free copy persists on your humble account.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Permanently giving away something you legally purchased is pretty easily distinguished from piracy.
    What Heliocentric said - and I said 'morally indistinguishable' as in "you're not really supposed to give it away, so doing so is wrong on a moral basis - if not a legal basis".

Put simply, bundles are bundles - packs are packs - they are meant to stay together and belong to just one person(unless marked otherwise) - the person who bought them OR the person they were gifted to as a whole.

I realise people think they're being 'nice' by giving away duplicates and spares and unwanted DRM - but what they're doing is preventing future sales of that title as effectively - if not MORE effectively - than via conventional piracy (because the recipient believes they have a 'legal' copy and won't think to buy it - at least pirated copies are SOMETIMES bought thereafter).

That Activision is a joke unless you are really into overpriced Call of Duty games you cannot tell apart and shitty licensed games.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    That Activision is a joke unless you are really into overpriced Call of Duty games you cannot tell apart and shitty licensed games.
    I would argue against that slightly. The Transformer games are good fun. Multiplayer is pretty dead, but they are good fun single player and there is some coop. That said, wait for them to be 75%.

Also Singularity isn't a bad shooter, its got and interesting mechanic involving time manipulation and a decent sci fi story to go with it. It was one of Raven software last games I believe. Again wait to see if it goes to 75% off.

DISCLAIMER: Totally aware I'm being a bit of a tool about this, but like all tools, I feel I have good reason. Nothing personal!

What Heliocentric said - and I said 'morally indistinguishable' as in "you're not really supposed to give it away, so doing so is wrong on a moral basis - if not a legal basis".
    OK, that's a more reasonable thing to say than "morally indistinguishable from piracy." The latter doesn't apply because the two are very easily distinguishable: when you're giving away a bundle Steam key, you're giving away something of which there is only one copy (the whole point behind the key system), and it's a copy you acquired legally with the publisher's consent.

I can appreciate that you're making the argument on moral terms rather than legal ones, I just still don't agree. When I buy a game from Humble, I'm getting two copies of the game. If developers don't like that, they shouldn't participate, or they should get Humble to change how they sell things.

I've never given away keys myself, because I'm still not sure how I feel about the ethics of it (and I'll probably always err toward it being unethical). But I'd never call it piracy, because words mean things. And when huge corporate copyright holders wage holy wars to prop up obsolete profit models, it's important that they continue to mean things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    To their credit, the Transformers games are actually very good and very loyal to the source material. I've also been told by several people that the Spiderman game is the best one since the playstation.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

but what they're doing is preventing future sales of that title as effectively - if not MORE effectively - than via conventional piracy (because the recipient believes they have a 'legal' copy and won't think to buy it - at least pirated copies are SOMETIMES bought thereafter).
    Now now, you're making it sound like that key hasn't been paid at all. I'm sure there are lost sales somewhere in the system, but there's plenty who bought one or more extra copies of the same game. No, it doesn't even out, because the lower price points of bundles move a lot more cash for any given game than almost anything else, as it's been documented by many devs who shared their data on blogs etc - they're coming out on top, not losing money.

The new tune that Humble has been playing about spare keys being personal and stuff, to my ears sounds just like the song of "we've gone from a couple guys who came up with a new idea, to a full-fledged business that must respond of every last cent to bean counters over at the VC that gave us monies".
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's not a 'tune' - they get to make the rules, you get to abide by them. If you choose not to, you're the one who is morally wrong (and quite possibly legally wrong).

You seem to think having a 'code' gives you the right to do anything you like with it - but that code came with some conditions and ignoring those isn't really any different to ignoring the 'games from the Pirate Bay are not like games from a shop' rule.

I have some DRM-free games I've acquired more-than-once - can I just send the 'spare' executables to anyone I like? How does that person know I'm not just 'pirating the game for them??'

If you think of 'code' as 'game installer' does it become any clearer - because there's really no difference between those things.

and all this before we get into people who use a Steam Code for a game and then pass-on the Desura code (for the same game from the same bundle) to other people - which is REALLY taking the piss (and yet they'll defend it as 'legit'!!)
    Last edited by trjp; 13-09-2013 at 02:56 AM.

If I've got spare codes, damn right I'm going to pass them along to someone who wants to play the videogame I've got a spare code for. I'll also play with matches if I want to, y'know?

The idea that passing something along I've paid for is even remotely morally similar to piracy is absurd. Sometimes I really do despair that we cultivate this idea that sharing things is bad.
    Last edited by RobF; 13-09-2013 at 04:38 AM.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

It's not a 'tune' - they get to make the rules, you get to abide by them. If you choose not to, you're the one who is morally wrong (and quite possibly legally wrong).
    Morally wrong definitely feels like a stretch. You personally have an ethical view on giving them away- one which I happen to kind of share most of the time- but there's nothing immoral about people who don't feel the same. Again, we're talking about people choosing to give away something they acquired with the full consent of the people who made it. No copying, no stealing. No more "immoral" than giving away clothes or books or money or whatever else someone owns and feels like tossing around.

There's also no legal barrier (Humble asks you not to give away the keys, which is a bit silly since they're the ones who sold you two copies of the game, but they're free to ask). But who cares, since we're arguing this on moral grounds?
    Last edited by GunnerMcCaffrey; 13-09-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Nuuvem also has Assassin's Creed III Deluxe (Uplay, not Steam, but what's the point of Steam anyway for AC games) for ~17USD. This is the cheapest it has ever been, to the best of my knowledge.

Network Hub
    The awesome Legend of Kyrandia on GoG:
    <br />
    <br />
    http://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_kyrandia

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Talking to pirates is like talking to a wall. They refuse to acknowledge they are breaking the inherent agreement.

Key sharers are pirates who have have decided what they are doing is less immoral because they bought a 'spare key'.

But they didn't, and they won't be told, so let's just leave them to it .

Note: I have shared keys of games after bundles have ended when they were dupes, but I know I'm wrong for it, most people can't admit fault.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

It's GOG's 5th birthday today and they will be giving away a free game later.

Edit: It's Stargunner. Yay?
    Last edited by Anthile; 13-09-2013 at 11:38 AM.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Morally wrong definitely feels like a stretch. You personally have an ethical view on giving them away- one which I happen to kind of share most of the time- but there's nothing immoral about people who don't feel the same. Again, we're talking about people choosing to give away something they acquired with the full consent of the people who made it. No copying, no stealing. No more "immoral" than giving away clothes or books or money or whatever else someone owns and feels like tossing around.

There's also no legal barrier (Humble asks you not to give away the keys, which is a bit silly since they're the ones who sold you two copies of the game, but they're free to ask). But who cares, since we're arguing this on moral grounds?
    What's the difference between morals and ethics? As I understand it, I have a code of ethics. Any action that violates that code is morally wrong. Whether it's a little white lie or murder, they are both on the 'wrong' side of the line (though a long distance apart).

Humble is selling you one product, a bundle of games, that you can redeem on Steam. They are trusting their customers not to give that product away while still keeping parts of it for themselves. That trust comes as part of the DRM-free ideal. Betraying someone's trust is morally wrong, so I don't do it. Simple as that.