Page 478 of 594 FirstFirst ... 378428468476477478479480488528578 ... LastLast
Results 9,541 to 9,560 of 11868

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Psychonauts for $1.99 on Steam
    Psychonauts for $1.99 on Steam
    Note that if you're allergic to platformers, you were right to avoid this one: Cute design, clever writing, abysmal platforming. The gameplay is so bad I honestly just gave up, the frustration/enjoyment ratio was just too high. YMMV, of course, but like almost every greatly venerated game its universal appeal has been greatly oversold.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Note that if you're allergic to platformers, you were right to avoid this one: Cute design, clever writing, abysmal platforming. The gameplay is so bad I honestly just gave up, the frustration/enjoyment ratio was just too high. YMMV, of course, but like almost every greatly venerated game its universal appeal has been greatly oversold.
    If you care a great deal about fine-tuned platforming, more than about the cute design, clever writing, and general inventiveness ... yeah. Avoid this. If you don't care, or enjoy platforming in a way that doesn't make rickety platforming painful for you? You'll enjoy the gameplay, not just the overall packaging of it.

There's a metric ton of clunk to it. That's unavoidable unless you have the rosiest possible tint to your glasses without simply ducktaping petals over your eyes with floral-patterned Duck brand tape. But while I don't think it was even remotely intentional, it kinda fits the look and feel of the game and there is fun to be had in clunky games for the same reason that games like Super Hexagon intentionally handicap the control scheme. There's some intriguing variety at play--clunk aside--and if you chase all the doo-dads and whats-its around there's a fair bit of challenge (both intentional and unintentional) to the platforming. There were certainly moments of unavoidable frustration, but I found them uncommon.

Short version: I enjoyed the platforming even if I would never in a million years recommend Psychonauts as a platformer.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 18-09-2013 at 01:45 AM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    If you care a great deal about fine-tuned platforming, more than about the cute design, clever writing, and general inventiveness ... yeah. Avoid this. If you don't care, or enjoy platforming in a way that doesn't make rickety platforming painful for you? You'll enjoy the gameplay, not just the overall packaging of it.
    As I said, YMMV. I didn't make it past the first "world" without wanting to wing my controller at the wall on one too many occasions. Clever as the writing may be, it isn't clever enough to put up with that. I'd cheerfully give my copy to an interested party were such a thing possible.

Then again I may just be weird, most of the beloved classics around here don't really do much for me.
    Last edited by vinraith; 18-09-2013 at 02:12 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Psychonauts is quite charming - can be a bitch to make work on modern PCs (compatibility mode is your friend) - has a tonne of lovely ideas - can play like a bag of broken things - everyone should try it.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    As I said, YMMV. I didn't make it past the first "world" without wanting to wing my controller at the wall on one too many occasions. Clever as the writing may be, it isn't clever enough to put up with that. I'd cheerfully give my copy to an interested party were such a thing possible.

Then again I may just be weird, most of the beloved classics around here don't really do much for me.
    I feel you. I bounced off Deus Ex and Thief.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Ha, I think you got lucky. I have an e-mail address on the .nl domain and they won't even accept orders from me for that reason.
    Update: Erin from Tech Support validated my order and now I can actually download the game! :yipi:

So Gamefly isn't EvŲl anymore!

...like Super Hexagon intentionally handicap the control scheme.
    Say what?

Short version: I enjoyed the platforming even if I would never in a million years recommend Psychonauts as a platformer.
    I did too. I played the game for the first time fairly recently, and though I think I've become less tolerant of platformers recently, I didn't really have many problems with Psychonauts.

We shall not speak of Meat Circus.

games like Super Hexagon intentionally handicap the control scheme
    ??? I will cut you.

Quote Originally Posted by Oshada View Post
    ??? I will cut you.
    Say what?
    I didn't say it was a bad thing. It's very tightly designed. Cursor movement is discrete in single presses, but continuous if you press, hold, and release (well, it's always discrete--this is relative). You can position the cursor as precisely as you please in long motions but have sharp limits to your precision in single taps.

VVVVVV did something similar, where there was a fairly pronounced minimal movement distance, but you could always STOP a continuous movement exactly where you wanted as ... long as you also calculated for drift. This happens to some extent in every game, but many games try to minimize this effect. A lot of indie platformers do it on purpose for retro authenticity or something which can be annoying but I liked it in VVVVVV. In Super Hexagon this effect is a major part of the game and creates much of the challenge.

Psychonauts is an example of floaty, clunky platformer that's just like that becasue it wasn't refined very well and as a result the platforming challenges don't show off the floaty-clunky bits in interesting ways becasue they weren't supposed to feel that way ... but one game's clunk is another game's challenge: a differently designed level with the exact same mechanics could suddenly use the clunkiness as an interesting challenge, as the whole point of mastering the game. There's a whole different way to do platformers, on top of that, especially "action" plat-formers. It involves making everything as responsive and fluid as possible--the game still requires precision (sometimes more) from the player, but the control feels more smooth and 1:1--less floating and drifting more arcing and snapping. In such games the focus is more often on doing the right thing under pressure than on executing it properly--compared to VVVVVV where everything is execution. At the very least the kind of execution required is different.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 18-09-2013 at 09:28 AM.

Hi there, I'm running a group buy here . I'm trying to get some people to pre-order Redshirt and Democracy 3. For two people it's $15 and $19 instead of $20 and $25. If more people join in the price gets even lower. Thought maybe someone here's interested.

Cheers Michael

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuschelwampe View Post
    Hi there, I'm running a group buy here . I'm trying to get some people to pre-order Redshirt and Democracy 3. For two people it's $15 and $19 instead of $20 and $25. If more people join in the price gets even lower. Thought maybe someone here's interested.

Cheers Michael
    How low does Cliffie go - pre-ordering directly from him kinda didn't pan-out for me before so I need INCENTIVES :)

Anyone who enjoys block-pushing puzzles (with some light adventure game touches) might want to give MacGuffin's curse a look while it's $3.75 on Steam. There's probably a good 10 hours worth of puzzling in there, plus a lot of love. There's a demo.

Arma 3 (physical) for 27€ on amazon.de: http://www.amazon.de/ARMA-3-Deluxe-D...eywords=arma+3
    1 hour 40min left.
    GW2: Urraca Aldor

Lesser Hivemind Node Winged Nazgul's Avatar
    Anyone interested in splitting a 2-pack of Ironclad Tactics? It would come out to $11.25 each.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Anyone who enjoys block-pushing puzzles (with some light adventure game touches) might want to give MacGuffin's curse a look while it's $3.75 on Steam. There's probably a good 10 hours worth of puzzling in there, plus a lot of love. There's a demo.
    I have only played a little of it, but found it surprisingly enjoyable. Also, you can get it for as little as $1 just now as part of the groupees Be Mine Special edition bundle: http://groupees.com/bmse

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    How low does Cliffie go - ...
    Getting 80's limbo flashbacks.

Another recommendation for MacGuffin's at that price point (actually even a bit higher).

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is £9.99.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by jyden View Post
    The Bureau: XCOM Declassified is £9.99.
    Probably worth a punt at that price, I went for it. Anyway pretty big price drop for a game thats just come out. Wonder what the sales were like.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    All three Bioshocks on Amazon for $19.99.
    The Medallion of the Imperial Psychopath, a Napoleon: Total War AAR
    For the Emperor!, a Total War: Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai AAR

Reposting from the march:

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    Groupees has added more games to the KISS2 build a bundle: Train Simulator 2013 (...)

http://groupees.com/kiss2
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    FTR, the TS2013 seems to be a ridiculously good deal. If you, like me, owned TS2012, you get Isle of Wight, Ruhr-Sieg, Sherman Hill and London to Brighton for less than a buck. I think TS2014 is going to be released within the month, but given how much the DLCs cost if you get them otherwise, it's so good that I still can't believe!
    You also get the base game of course, if you don't have it.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"