Page 493 of 602 FirstFirst ... 393443483491492493494495503543593 ... LastLast
Results 9,841 to 9,860 of 12026

Thread: PC Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by mnemnoch View Post
    Bioshock: Infinite is currently $9.99 in amazon US

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009SPZ11Q
    Unless this means they'll pay you $9.99 to play it, I'd say take a pass. It is the same firefight, copied and pasted, over and over, for 9 hours. It runs out of ideas after 45 minutes, but keeps going anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Unless this means they'll pay you $9.99 to play it, I'd say take a pass. It is the same firefight, copied and pasted, over and over, for 9 hours. It runs out of ideas after 45 minutes, but keeps going anyway.
    I disagree. It's more varied than many of the games in it's genre, and it has a lot more going on outside the action than most of those, too. It is quite repetitive and it handles difficulty in that annoying "it has a big healthbar" way far too much of the time and you have no real incentive to use particular vigors other than Possession ... just pick your favorite and run with it. But that's all kinda par for the course in corridor shooters. There's a lot of mobility in it's various arenas, the weapons have appreciably different strengths and behaviors, most of the vigors are fun and useful even if there's too much overlap for you to need all of them. If you enjoy the combat system, the fights will feel fresh for way longer than 45 minutes especially because 45 minutes won't even see you meeting all of the enemy types yet. Towards the end, it started feeling like the combat was getting in the way of the storytelling and that's the real shame--one people overlook in, say, Half Life 2 because the story being told is lackluster enough that the nonsense is less noticeable and the gunplay is always on center stage. Like I said, I think Bioshock: Infinite is a good example of the form done well rather than a masterpiece that exceeds the limitations of the form.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I disagree in turn. And I'm bored, and want a chance to snipe at Infinite again, so nyah.

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    *broken down as I can't be typing quote tags out multiple times*
    "It's more varied than many of the games in it's genre, and it has a lot more going on outside the action than most of those, too"

No it isn't, and it doesn't. Gunner's quite right, it is literally a succession of near identical arena fights which require no special thought or application of craft whatsoever, capped off with an idiotically drawn-out slog that'll drain your will to live (well, it certainly did mine).

"There's a lot of mobility in it's various arenas"

Which you almost never need. Seriously, you don't. Stick to the same few feet of space, occasionally funnel them into narrow corridors if one's available, mix and match as necessary. Tears are completely unnecessary 95% of the time, running around like a loon is similarly pointless for the most part.

"the weapons have appreciably different strengths and behaviors"

No they don't, other than medium bang straight ahead versus big area of effect. Stick with the machine gun, occasionally fire rockets at more stubborn enemies, switch out if you run out of ammo. But mostly you won't run out of ammo.

"most of the vigors are fun and useful even if there's too much overlap for you to need all of them"

Define "fun and useful"? If you mean they make vaguely interesting pretty lights in different colours, sure. Otherwise, you need two, three at a pinch - Murder of Crows, the fireball one, possibly another if you're struggling on anything immune or strong against fire.

"If you enjoy the combat system, the fights will feel fresh for way longer than 45 minutes especially because 45 minutes won't even see you meeting all of the enemy types yet."

Doesn't matter. On normal difficulty, at least, none of the enemies exhibit any kind of different behaviour that actually makes a real, functional difference to the combat other than their getting bigger health bars. Fighting the sirens, or whatever those things were called, requires no real change in tactics from fighting the first regular enemies.

"Towards the end, it started feeling like the combat was getting in the way of the storytelling and that's the real shame--one people overlook in, say, Half Life 2 because the story being told is lackluster enough that the nonsense is less noticeable and the gunplay is always on center stage."

While I stopped worshipping at the Cult of Gaben around the same time I realised the actual storytelling in Half-Life 2 et al wasn't really that special, at the same time the characterisation and world-building, for all its flaws, is miles ahead of anything in Infinite. If you don't go hunting for as many audio logs as possible Infinite barely even has any characterisation, much less development. It's forever beating you around the head with the same tired tropes that got old the second time they were brought up, none of which ever get explored in any meaningful way. Columbia is a cartoon that never becomes remotely believable as an actual place, even by the standards of the pulpiest genre fiction, and that goes double for all its citizens.

Bioshock Infinite is a mediocre first-person shooter with some mildly pretty set-dressing that tries to tell a story by waving around big words but never exhibits any real understanding of what they actually mean. Praising it strikes me as the PC master race equivalent of the JRPG fans who'll drool over anything out of Nippon, no matter how trite, formulaic or childish it might be - just as making a game with a downtrodden fictional ethnic minority doesn't automatically make for a devastating criticism of real-world bigotry, saying your world is meant as a critique of American (or human) exceptionalism doesn't automatically make it an exceptional dissection of those things. Yes, yes, opinions and all, but seriously, I'll say it again: you are playing a game where someone explicitly explains the twist to the main character's face, and he fails to take it in, without the game giving any good reason why that should be so. That alone should bar anyone from ever calling it smart or clever or accomplished or any such thing, let alone its multitude of other sins.

...crap, that ended up being uncomfortably tl;dr. Guess it shows how much I really, really did not like Bioshock Infinite. Oh well. Carry on.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'd love to know what FPS games you've been playing recently that are much better.

I mean, sincerely, because I love FPS games and I feel they've been properly shit of late, and infinite's been the only one I've actually enjoyed. So if I've been missing out some quality gunshoots...

Praising it strikes me as the PC master race equivalent of the JRPG fans who'll drool over anything out of Nippon, no matter how trite, formulaic or childish it might be
    You should stick to attacking the game and not attacking people who enjoyed it. Christ. There's criticism and then there's Internet Hate Machine.

Anywho, I would be more than happy to go more in depth and explain things like "fun and useful" and what I like about the "mildly pretty set-dressing" in a relevant thread if you're interested, but I don't want to write an essay about Bioshock Infinite in the bargains thread especially since while I liked a lot of bits and bobs, as said I found the game disappointing--it wasn't what I wanted it to be and the problems it had took a lot from the experience. But overall, I think it's definitely worth playing if you aren't allergic to shooting galleries. It's a mind-numbingly difficult in the boring sort of way in a few boss fight type places, but playing the game on hard makes most of the combat interesting enough for me at least. It's not precise and tactical, but it's fun. Playing it on lower difficulty might well make it patronizingly easy, I didn't try; obviously your mileage will very here--I'm not exactly competitive Counter Strike material, but I'm a pretty solid shooter player. I could see hard being too punitive for some players without being rewarding enough to make up for it--it certainly was for me in the two or three set-piece boss fight things.

I found a lot more character outside the audio logs than in. The characterization didn't seem inconsistent to me at all--I thought it was a strong point. The audio logs were a bit tedious, but I don't think they were the heart of the setting even if there are some the developers clearly didn't want you to miss for one reason or another. I'm not sure making it a "believable" world was strictly speaking the goal. Again, unless you're allergic to heavy-handed allegory and symbolism (a feature in many things I would consider masterpieces across all mediums), the game does a lot more than throw big words around without really understanding what they mean. While we're at it, let's throw around the word pretentious like it means something useful! Mild set-dressing indeed.

At $10, if you don't mind a bit of "dumb" shooting, it's quite the spectacle. I found it to be a compelling if not-quite-coherent-enough experience. I think it's an easy $10 purchase--the only question is whether it's worth the time and whether you have other games you'd rather spend $10 on.

P.S: "explicitly explains the twist to the main character's face," I'm having trouble figuring out what this is referring to. I'd almost argue the opposite is the problem--Booker takes way too much of Columbia in stride and if you're referring to what I think you're referring too, it's understandable that he wouldn't just "get" it as soon as th audience does.
    Last edited by gwathdring; 19-10-2013 at 09:32 PM.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

Network Hub
    Defiance - £4.68 @ Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/224600/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    I would just like to say Defiance is no bad. Its not a great game. Its NOT an MMO, its an open world online shooter that ties in somewhat with the TV show. Its basically just running around shooting things over and over. The good thing is I found the shooting to be very solid. There is the nice open world feel to it, but unfortunately the world isn't that interesting really.

My recommendation is to get it, if you like shooters and want some place new to drive around in. If you are looking for something to spend all your time in, I think you might get bored quick.

@trjp

Apparently the GMG giveaway is back on: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/3...fia-ii-at-gmg/

Might be kind of off topic, but does anyone have a good source to purchase Plants vs. Zombies nowadays? Really want my parents to play the first game, can't buy on Steam though since it's not localized there (they need german language support) and PopCap wanted about 20€ last time i checked...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by taalas View Post
    Might be kind of off topic, but does anyone have a good source to purchase Plants vs. Zombies nowadays? Really want my parents to play the first game, can't buy on Steam though since it's not localized there (they need german language support) and PopCap wanted about 20€ last time i checked...
    Big Fish games - http://www.bigfishgames.com/download...ies/index.html

$2.99 if you make a new account and use the code - No idea if it is localized, but it has a free trial too

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Tritagonist's Avatar
    I can't help you with a German version, but are you sure you want them playing the game? My mother has been playing Plants vs. Zombies in a manner unlike anything I've seen outside of MMOs. Last time I checked she was well past the 500 hour mark on Steam.
    "He has anointed me to bring good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim release to
    the captives and recovery of sight to the blind, to let the oppressed go free". ~
    Luke 4:18

Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    $2.99 if you make a new account and use the code
    Great tip, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Tritagonist View Post
    Last time I checked she was well past the 500 hour mark on Steam.
    Yeah, I've seen this happen to other people too :D She does have a lot of time on her hands to kill though atm, so all's well :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, I've seen this happen to other people too :D She does have a lot of time on her hands to kill though atm, so all's well :)
    Her-indoor's grandad has 100s of hours clocked on many games - because he leaves whatever game he's playing on his PC until he plays the next one - sometimes for days at a time...

He's probably played some games for 30-40 hours - the clock says 100s tho ;)

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post

My "hours played" is inexplicably out of whack. As soon as I run a game, it manages to reset properly though. In the mean time I've played every game in my collection for at least 50 hours, including Gish. :P

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Her-indoor's grandad has 100s of hours clocked on many games - because he leaves whatever game he's playing on his PC until he plays the next one - sometimes for days at a time...

That's the issue my wife has. She's got over 2000 hours clocked on PvZ, but half of it's likely idling from playing in the morning and leaving it run until she comes back after lunch. Though she has completed it so many time with different profiles that we've lost count. Definitely got her $/hr value out of that $10 purchase.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    My "hours played" is inexplicably out of whack. As soon as I run a game, it manages to reset properly though. In the mean time I've played every game in my collection for at least 50 hours, including Gish. :P
    Oh, so it's not just me! I wondered what was up with this. Noticed it displayed what seem to be the correct totals some of the time, but I couldn't see any logic to it. It's been doing it for quite some time, too, with no sign of changing... not that important, I guess, but it's kind of irritating.

You guys are subscribed to beta? mine does it too, guessed it was a client bug.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    GetGamesGo have an 'Indie Carnival' on - loads of deepish discounts and then there's another 10/20/30/40/50% off your whole basket for buying 2/3/4/5/6 games

Plenty of cheap games to 'pad' a more expensive cart - even pre-orders like Pixeljunk Shooter are included

http://www.getgamesgo.com/category/indie-carnival

Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    You guys are subscribed to beta? mine does it too, guessed it was a client bug.
    Yep, my (beta) Steam client has been doing the same thing for some time. Never even have to start a game for every game's played timer to go up. You say "was"? Has it been fixed in a recent release?

Yep, my (beta) Steam client has been doing the same thing for some time. Never even have to start a game for every game's played timer to go up. You say "was"? Has it been fixed in a recent release?

I THINK it's working as of this morning. It still seems to think I played Bioshock Infinite for 31 hours though ... which seems at least 10 hours too long. Maybe I left it running or something or maybe the times are still wonky. They at least look proper at first glance now, but maybe that's just because it doesn't show everything to be over 50 hours.