Page 5 of 603 FirstFirst ... 345671555105505 ... LastLast

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jockie's Avatar
    Strategy First games 50% off this weekend on GoG, which includes the Disciples series and the Jagged Alliance series amongst others.
    I write about them video games at these locations

And on Twitter

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    Steam daily - Nimbus, 50% off to 3. Has demo (700mb).

Gave the demo a quick d/l and go. Not too many graphics options, but it's not really the game to need it. Full controller support, which is nice and seems to work pretty well. I played the first 10 or so levels. Starts off simple and then I got stuck on a level where you had to navigate yourself and a ball around. Couldn't work out how to do it in a short amount of time and stopped playing. Seems like you could definitely get some fun out of it and could get really quite challenging later on.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 11-06-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Added in some opinions

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I had a lot of fun with the Nimbus demo, but I still can't decide whether I want the full game, even at 2.99.

I know exactly what you mean. Maybe if it was at 2? 1.50?

Obscure Node
    Hello, does anyone fancy splitting a Frozen Synapse purchase?

Edit: In other news, I am impatient, and bought it anyway. Does anyone fancy buying the second copy of Frozen Synapse on Gamersgate? It's 7.50. I will even put a digital ribbon on it.
    Last edited by Pulsar; 12-06-2011 at 01:31 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I really enjoyed Nimbus, the "conservation of energy" aspect of the game is very directly appealing to the physicist in me. It does get devlishly hard as you go along, but there are a ton of levels (doled out non-linearly, so you can choose easier or harder paths through them) and it keeps introducing new mechanics to spice things up. I got well more than my $5 worth out of it before surrendering to the difficulty of the latter levels, and I could definitely see going back at some point.

And after a long car journey in the rain, I finally return home to bring you the Steam daily sale...and no, I'm not Jenson Button.

Foreign Legion: Buckets of Blood, 50% off to 2.49. No demo, but extremely low system requirements. This could run on the crappy PC I gave up a few years ago that was struggling at that point to run WoW.

Steam daily - Shadow Harvest, 75% off to 6.25. 3rd person manshoot with a 36/100 meta. Ouch.

Banned
    Gamersgate has Miasma: Citizens of Free Thought for 3 quid something. Is that as good as it looks? It was on the XBOX thingy too. Anyone played it? http://www.gamersgate.co.uk/DD-MCFT/...f-free-thought

Obscure Node
    Pretty amazing price on Portal 2 at the moment, only 12.99 at Play.com -

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1828...2/Product.html

That's if anyone hasn't played it yet, I know it's just what I've been waiting for though

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Cheap Games View Post
    Pretty amazing price on Portal 2 at the moment, only 12.99 at Play.com -

http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1828...2/Product.html

That's if anyone hasn't played it yet, I know it's just what I've been waiting for though
    Honestly... Its a valve game, and its single player (mainly) I'm honestly going to keep to my 5 (7.50 really) rule.

wait... was that useful spam?
    Last edited by Heliocentric; 13-06-2011 at 10:35 PM. Reason: wuhu??

Obscure Node
    Hope it was useful, not so keen on the spam though :P

GamersGate has Sword of the Stars at 60% off at the moment. Any thoughts on the game? Worth buying. I'm looking at the Complete Pack or whatever it's called.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

I love that game. It's an interesting (and somewhat light)4x with Real time combat. It's very focused on combat. There are six races and they all travel differently turning that into differents ways of playing.
    Add the randomness of some alien stuff that pops up and you have an amazing game.

If you like 4x games you have to try it.

Steam daily - Secret of the Magic Crystals, 50% off to 2. There's a demo. This is one of the few occasions where I think copying the description is reasonable.

"In this game you manage a horse-breeding farm set in a fantasy surrounding. The game enables you to breed legendary horses such as Pegasus, Unicorn, Fire-steed, Ice-steed and Demon-steed. You can buy over 700 objects during the game. Make all kinds of horseshoes as well as lots of magical potions for your horses."

So there's that.

Mid-week madness - Darkspore, 40% off to 18. (The 40% extends to the 4 pack as well).

Now this is an interesting one. Diablo clone with a cool sci-fi style, I'm not too sure if this is worth getting, if only because for 13 you can get Torchlight, which is very good. If anyone has an opinion Darkspore, love to hear it, otherwise I'm eagerly waiting for when Torchlight goes on sale and inevitably, T2.

Network Hub
    I enjoy Darkspore, although the faffing upgrading 9 characters and swapping chars out requiring you to take the the equip off the one you take out and rebuild the new one is annoying.

Good ARPG in its own right. I pre-ordered with an EA Store glitch for 17, and I think that is about the right price!

Add Macdory if you pick it up.

Separate post for a separate deal: 5 games gone F2P on Steam.

Champions Online: Free For All , Global Agenda: Free Agent (weird 3rd person shooting arena based thing), Spiral Knights (this one visually looks interesting at least and appears to be an en masse hack'n'slash), Forsaken World (which looks a bit like WoW, although WoW looks like lots of other things so there you go) and Alliance of Valiant Arms (the only non-MMO, 3rd person shooting of men from the looks of things).

I'll be downloading Spiral Knights because it looks interesting, but if you've ever wanted to try any of these out, apart from AVA which has the blandest name I've seen for a long time, now's your chance!

@Mac - Fair enough. I'll likely leave it. This mini-megaton of F2P games has got me interested.

// Edit 2:

I've given Spiral Knights a whirl for about two hours and what can I say? It's pretty decent. Very simple, with access to one ranged and one melee weapon. Dungeons seem pretty decently balanced and so long as you're not an idiot, you can go for a long time.

The F2P part seems to restrict how much you can play for a day, but to be honest you may get bored/not wish to play to any longer before that point anyhow. Seems like quite a decent dip-in-every-so-often game. I won't be deleting it after this little trial, but I don't know when I'll next play it. I suppose with some chum-like people, you could quite easily have a fun time. I'll probably try the remaining 4 on different days, and try and mix up the order of excitement I have for them because I don't desire playing the crappest ones last.
    Last edited by The JG Man; 14-06-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Reply // No. 2 for Spiral Knights opinion

Network Hub
    Nice post @The JG Man ... downloading Spiral Knights, and I have Champ Online and Global Agenda - other two look a bit meh ...

It's interesting how they integrated the account creation and in game transactions with Steam, you don't even need to 'create' an account for Spiral Knights as it uses your Steam account from the start. It also uses the Steam Wallet feature to pay for items in game, so that feature actually has a use now :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Secret of the Magic Crystals, I need to ask about it.

I have a 4 year old daughter who obviously thinks unicorns and flying ponies(pegasus I guess, but kids toys play fast and loose with mythology) are awesome.

The steam forum discussion brought to mind chocobo racing in final fantasy 7.

What's the RPS community opinion?