Page 50 of 609 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150550 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 12161

Thread: PC Bargains

Lesser Hivemind Node squareking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ford View Post
    Are the expansions for CoH worth picking up? I know they're cheap... but so am I.
    Seconding this question before I pull any triggers.
    steam

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    The opposing fronts expandalone is good for sp, the tales of valo(u)r is the best for mp, the original and opposing together is probably the best overall.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    The opposing fronts expandalone is good for sp, the tales of valo(u)r is the best for mp, the original and opposing together is probably the best overall.
    Do you have that backward...? Opp Fronts has whole new factions, Tales of valor is just scenarios.

Also: Napoleon Total War is the best total war, probably. If you were intrigued by the gunpowder of Empire but scared away by the bugs and huge scope, Napoleon is taut, polished, and excellent. DLC is 50% off, too.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    yeah opposing fronts is worth it just so you can play panzer elite who are awesome

Help me decide what I need most! I can either buy Total War Megapack (neat, as I already have Shogun 2, but never palyed previous games) or Dawn of War II for the same price. I can't make a choice myself!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    DoW2 is pretty neat, but it's certain to be on sale again for Thanksgiving or Christmas or whenever. Whereas the Total War megapack is hilariously good value - out of the games included, only Empire is a duffer, and there's some jolly good mods out there too. So that's what'd get my vote.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    so Napoleon is the on to go for? I have all of the total wars except for empire and Napoleon, is it worth just getting the double pack with the dlc for the extra three quid?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Help me decide what I need most! I can either buy Total War Megapack (neat, as I already have Shogun 2, but never palyed previous games) or Dawn of War II for the same price. I can't make a choice myself!
    I'd actually say that the Total Wars are so similar (and so time-consuming!) that picking your favorite era and buying that one game (Rome, Medieval 2, or Napoleon), and getting the DOW2 would be the best option, if financially possible. (Note that Impulse will be selling DOW 2 Complete for $30 this Saturday, if you're in the US. They're all Steamworks, so you can plug them right in).
    so Napoleon is the on to go for? I have all of the total wars except for empire and Napoleon, is it worth just getting the double pack with the dlc for the extra three quid?
    If you have the time and enthusiasm for exploring Empire and the DLC, then yes (i.e., the 2 pack is more expensive in terms of time and energy than money). Empire is janky, but it's also huge, ambitious, and kind of awe-inspiring. Before it all crashes on your face.
    Last edited by Giaddon; 22-09-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Big ups to Empire. I don't think I'm alone in really liking that game. Many launch issues are solved, other solvable with mods. It's really impressive to me, partially because I'm enamored with that era in history. It's a very weird time for warfare, many new tactics and weapons were developed. The scope is incredible. Highly recommended by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    I'd actually say that the Total Wars are so similar (and so time-consuming!) that picking your favorite era and buying that one game (Rome, Medieval 2, or Napoleon), and getting the DOW2 would be the best option, if financially possible. (Note that Impulse will be selling DOW 2 Complete for $30 this Saturday, if you're in the US. They're all Steamworks, so you can plug them right in).
    Yeah, that's exactly why I'm not all over that pack as I'm typing this post. I'm especially intimidated by the amount of time the games require, as you accurately mentioned, since e.g. in Shogun 2 in takes me 2-3 hours to achieve anything significant, like winning a battle, and it's not like I'm bored in the process! Still, when I have free time, I feel reluctant to play a total war game. It's quite a different beast, compared to other strategy games, and very demanding at that.

That's where DoW2 enters the scene. Very quick-paced, immediate fun type of game. The caveat is that I'm not planning on spending much time in multiplayer (and as it happens, I don't live in the US, so can't take advantage of that otherwise great deal). I can wait for the game (and add-ons) to go on sale. Probably won't, however. I initially planned to pick up games one by one, they don't cost much here.

But that Total War pack completely threw me off!

I'm thinking about following your advice, though. Thanks for that!

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Oak View Post
    Brink is twenty bucks on Steam now. They should probably be promoting this more vigorously.
    I really wanted this game when I saw one of the early trailers, with the parkour elements. The movement scheme looked awesome. But I couldn't get it when it first came out, and subsequent reviews scared me off. This price drop has renewed my interest. Is it worth a pick-up? People online still playing, or is it worth it for SP/bots?

I think that price on alpha protocol will be enough to convince me to just try it at least.
    With the dnd games on gog, i'm a supremely uneducated rpg player, i've got planescape torment and working my way through that but apart from that one are the baldurs gate games the pick of the bunch or are they similar so i should just play 2?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    Do you have that backward...? Opp Fronts has whole new factions, Tales of valor is just scenarios.
    All 3 titles are stand alone. Original gives you the usa campaign, for multiplayer you get usa and werchmark (sp?). opposing forces gets you the Britain and panzer elite campaigns for sp, for multiplayer you get Brits and panzer elite but not the original sides.

tales gets you 3 crap campaigns, but all 4 sides for mp and a few switchable units.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    With CoH, it's cheaper to buy Gold Edition and that second expansion than it is the complete pack. Just thought I'd point that out for people interested in all three.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    With CoH, it's cheaper to buy Gold Edition and that second expansion than it is the complete pack. Just thought I'd point that out for people interested in all three.
    Mathematical!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Tales gets you 3 crap campaigns, but all 4 sides for mp and a few switchable units.
    Ah, this I didn't know. Cool.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I won't lie, play against a pro and just as you deploy your first amoured car the entire 4th company of the panzer leer division will pour onto the map and artillery fire will blot out the sun.
    I just only have so much patience for the type of game that REQUIRES you watch replays to stay competitive, and right now all of that is dedicated to Street Fighter. I bought it anyways though.
    Last edited by sabrage; 23-09-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KarpaDyem View Post
    I really wanted this game when I saw one of the early trailers, with the parkour elements. The movement scheme looked awesome. But I couldn't get it when it first came out, and subsequent reviews scared me off. This price drop has renewed my interest. Is it worth a pick-up? People online still playing, or is it worth it for SP/bots?
    I don't know if people are still playing online on PC, 'cause I played it on 360, but it would be worth finding out first because the game really isn't that great with just bots. The bots are pretty smart, but they're still just bots. The game gets more fun the more people you're playing with, so even if you only end up playing co-op with a friend or two you're still going to be having more fun that playing with bots only.

I don't really know much about the Company of Heroes games, but I'm very tempted to pick them up at that price because when I've heard people chatting about them it's always been in a positive way.
    Are they worth it for SP only?
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    It's a $.01 difference...

The SEGA Mega Drive Classics Pack 4 is amazing value for money. Not only does it contain the turn-based RPGs Shining Force I and II but also the amazing gun'n'run games Alien Soldier and Gunstar Heroes (both by legendary developer Treasure). Also, the first two Streets of Rage games. On top of that, Light Crusader, Landstalker and Wonder Boy III... which I have never played but appear to be RPGs, of sorts.

All that for for only 1.87/$ and most likely even less in your British currency I don't have a symbol for on my keyboard.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.