Page 504 of 608 FirstFirst ... 4404454494502503504505506514554604 ... LastLast
Results 10,061 to 10,080 of 12159

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Actually, they benefit from massive sales more than anyone else as those sales encourage people to try it out.

What you meant to say is "The fans of those games have few options and can be milked for extra money". AKA "The Matrix Games/Dominions 3" model :p

The theory is that more profits are made by milking individuals for high prices rather than lowering it and getting the MANY fence folk.
    Oh, no, I totally agree; Distant Worlds in particular seems like the kind of thing that would be *huge* if they put it on Steam and discounted it, or even in one of the bundle things. It works for Paradox's games, AI War, Jeff Vogel... all similarly "niche" titles. But the Matrix forums are full of people saying "put it on Steam and on sale, you'll make lots of money" and Matrix going "these are niche games we've been selling for years, our business model is unique and you don't understand it".

I mean, I bought CK2 for $1 in a bundle and as a direct result I've now bought all the expansions and EU4. OK, mostly at 50% off sales, but it's still money Paradox wouldn't have had otherwise.

There's also going to be a Thanksgiving sale at Gamersgate which will, presumably, be about temporal relaxations in price for video games.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Ass Creed 3 withthe dlc for £8? I'll certainly consider it, but all the negative comments I've read are putting me off.

ugh..
    Apply GameFly Coupons
    Sorry, coupon code GFDNOV20UK could not be applied. This coupon may only be applied to digital game, pre-order digital game, downloadable content, or pre-order downloadable content items. No qualifying items were found.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Network Hub
    I liked AC3 so much. The free-running system in the frontier is really a step up from the previous games, it feels natural and fun to just run aroundd in this huge forest without any goal.

The plot is really good. No patriotic bullshit, it's always a step back and a commentary on what's going on. It can be really mean to characters, doesn't idealize them. As always in AC there are entire moments of it where it's just dumb and incoherent, but near the end there's a series of mission (without spoil, with Haytham) that were wonderfully touching. I enjoyed it very much.

The minigame included in this episode is the best in the series (naval combat !) and the base building is wonderful : a small village that you protect, with lots of sidequests that involve the social life of your people, with little to no rewards except seeing your little own world advance and move on. It's by far the most surprisingly ungamey bit of the whole AC series and it's wonderful.

Ok, it starts slow (but the intro and first bit of the game from the theater to boston is absolutely wonderful and exquisitely made. Connor is dull, but I think that's kind of the point. He's an almost impartial observer in this conflict. With Ezio it was all "wow look at me I'm ezio i'mthe master of the assassins leonardo and machiavel are all my buddies youhou", here the real heroes are Washington and Revere and all the others, and the real story is their conflict.
    The only personal stories in the game are related to Connor's relationship with his father, and all those missions and dialogues are some of the best moments of the game (Haytham is a wonderful character).

Didn't play the DLC, but AC3 was the best in the series until 4 (and right now I'm not even sure 4 is much better. It's too different to compare, band everything not related to naval combat is pretty bad).

Buy it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    I'm playing through AC3 right now ahead of picking up AC4. I'd played the first 2, then dropped the series so not played it for a while. For me, the first 8(!) hours were pretty tedious as it was mostly reteaching me things from the first 2 games. Even after all that it doesn't really introduce many of the other new AC3 concepts like crafting properly and you're left struggling to figure these out (maybe I missed something - the in-game manual is certainly no help?). You never feel like you're ready to just explore the world, it seems to leave you hanging somehow.

The frontier, for me, is far too empty (I also found red dead redemption to be far too empty - your mileage might vary as I know a fair few people who love that game) and the free running system works best when everything is at right angles to each other, so trees etc. were probably a bit of a stretch for the system (frequently Connor manages to grab the wrong thing whilst free-running - fine when just exploring, annoying when in mission and it gets you killed).

Countering these negatives, the 'history' is actually pretty fun to play through for me (even as an eeeevil Englishman) and the set pieces can be really good (the very first mission, at an opera, as AshEnke mentioned is really good). It's an interesting period to be walking through, as a sort of 'history tourist'. Also, getting a ship to go off on missions in is pretty well realised and surprisingly good fun, so I have very high hopes for an AC game based around that element.

I think they tried to pile too many systems on AC3 and some are really poorly integrated, although work well in isolation. If you can stomach quite a long tutorial period and then mostly stick to the main story missions and avoid the 'gotta catch em all' collectables then it's a pretty decent game. I think AC4 looks to be a refinement on the systems that do work well from AC3 and I'm looking forward to playing that next.

Network Hub
    Oh yes I forgot about the dreadful crafting, and the selling of wares through convoys and wow that was absolutely terrible. Worst example of UI I've ever seen in my life. I didn't use it once.

Quote Originally Posted by groovychainsaw View Post
    I think they tried to pile too many systems on AC3 and some are really poorly integrated, although work well in isolation. If you can stomach quite a long tutorial period and then mostly stick to the main story missions and avoid the 'gotta catch em all' collectables then it's a pretty decent game. I think AC4 looks to be a refinement on the systems that do work well from AC3 and I'm looking forward to playing that next.
    Completely agree. After deciding to ignore and skip most of those poor implementations (which, fortunately, are completely optional and not rewarding at all) I found AC3 to be quite an enjoyable experience.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Apply GameFly Coupons
    Sorry, coupon code GFDNOV20UK could not be applied. This coupon may only be applied to digital game, pre-order digital game, downloadable content, or pre-order downloadable content items. No qualifying items were found.
    The code worked fine for me for Bioshock Infinite, dropping the price to £5.99 for a cheap Christmas present. I think the code is a one shot use

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Ass Creed 3 withthe dlc for £8? I'll certainly consider it, but all the negative comments I've read are putting me off.

ugh..
    Ass3 wasn't as bad as everyone says it is, but it was definitely weak. Largely because the new mechanics (hunting and the wilderness) didn't mesh well with the control scheme. And the early American cities are nowhere near as fun as Damascus or Istanbul (not Constantinople) and the like, in large part because you tend to run along the ground a lot.

Funny enough: Everyone played the Ass2 series to be Ezio and ignored Desmond. Ass3 is the opposite: Desmond is the real star of the show, and Connor was just filler.

Also: Connor makes AC1 Altair both likable and interesting. Yeah....

With the game and the Washington DLC for ~10 USD (I think 8 squiggle moneys is roughly that much?), I would say grab it. The stronghold building was pretty fun and the naval combat is VERY fun. That being said, AssFlag is pretty much nothing BUT naval combat, but is currently buggy as hell on PC (so wait for a patch)
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Whatever, y'all! Conner is the AC series' best protagonist. Maybe people don't like him because he's an inherently tragic figure, and that's not nearly as much fun as someone... not tragic. He is is serious, because he has a serious task placed on him, an impossible one, in fact.

He's a workaholic Utopian who believes passionately in liberty, and is blindsided by the realpolitik and racism of the Patriots.

Like the first AC, AC3 is as much about the assassination targets as the assassin. It shows the Templars and Assassins as two competing ideologies for mankind's soul, rather than GOOD and EVIL like the AC2s.

Anyway, AC3 is really, really good. It has problems for sure, but if you like just luxuriating in a game world, it's amazing. I still scamper through the frontier, long after having beaten the game (and having beaten AC4, in fact!)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    After I failed the third or fourth "instant fail and reset after detection because you couldn't psychically predict where all the guards are" quests in AC3 for the fifth time, I put it down and will probably never be back. A never-ending tutorial is one thing, a really shitty never-ending tutorial is something else. I couldn't give two tosses about the plot, the gameplay is the worst of any of the AC series (barring, perhaps, that ill-conceived but easily avoided tower defense crap in Revelations).
    Last edited by vinraith; 27-11-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Another problem is that most sidequests have no payoff. Be it the minigames, collecting collectables, exploring the underground tunnels, restoring the estate, the crafting, restoring the order or hunting. Nothing of that is even remotely worth the effort you have to put into them, the rewards are just that negligible.
    Old hat! A Steam curator page focusing on Immersive Sims WIP
    Antique! The Fall of Infinite Games 2014 - A handy release schedule for the dark season.
    Recently updated! Thrust Issues: A Marvelous Guide to Fencing in Dark Souls 2

to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Why would you call it Istanbul? That's the modern name isn't it?

I found AC3 fundamentally enjoyable, but bloated. Instead of heaping on tons of unneeded systems, they should have polished the existing ones, refined the formula, smoothed up the animations, etc.

A lot of people say that the story missions are often too restricted and scripted up the whazoo, and I would agree. I would also add that there were several jarring temporal and spacial jumps in the story that just made no sense. Like you where doing something somewhere and then suddenly it's six months later and it feels like they just cut parts of the chronology out for no reason.

The hunting was interesting, but soo ridiculous in scale. Many bears were sacrificed to the god of numbers wot go up.

I did like the forest areas, and didn't mind the smaller cities much. They've already done big metropolises four times and I appreciated the change. I also appreciated the added danger of larger and more plentiful enemy patrols, making escape more reasonable than straight up fighting (at least in the early parts of the game, before you're an overpowered killing machine). I would still like to see a game in this style with the main character's lethality drastically reduced, with a greater focus on outmaneuvering opponents and reserving the bloodshed for the main plot enemies.

But I've long realized that this series is beyong saving. It's a fun playground and from what I hear AC4 embraces that. Will have to get it eventually.

EDIT: Oh god the tunnels. Never again.
    Last edited by postinternetsyndrome; 27-11-2013 at 09:05 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Unfortunately the Gamefly AC3 deal is UK-only. I think I'll buy it on another sale. I like The Patriot and Sleepy Hollow so I must play it.

Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    Why would you call it Istanbul? That's the modern name isn't it?
    As far as I know the city had like a billion official and colloquial names in the past millenium. One of the colloquial Turkish names was always Istanbul. I'm pretty sure it wasn't officially called Constantinople in the era Revelations is set (obviously not Istanbul either).

Retro Sale @ FireFlower through Sunday.

Dustforce - 20% off
    Inescapable - 67% off
    Kaiser Earth - 50% off
    Little Big Adventure - 50% off
    Raiden Legacy - 50% off
    Septerra Core - 60% off
    UFO: Trilogy - 50% off

And more...
    Carefully selected DRM-free games for Windows, Mac and Linux for direct download - http://fireflowergames.com/
    At least half the profit goes to projects that benefit the environment and game related projects.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Does anyone else find it disconcerting that Skyrim costs less than it's DLC right now? I know. Daily Deal. Also you rope in customers who might spring for the DLC and anyone who wants Skyrim at a higher price has bought it--lord knows there was enough advertising.

But the decontextualized, intuitive "logical" part of my brain finds this disconcerting nonetheless.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Does anyone else find it disconcerting that Skyrim costs less than it's DLC right now?
    yeh, it does seem like weird pricing. 20.5 Euro if you only buy the three DLC, but 13.59 Euro if you buy the Legendary edition (game + the three DLC).

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Also to note with the steam sale is that according to the leaked email, these prices will be the same prices in the Christmas sale, in less than a months time. They won't be cheaper, so if you want it and its on daily, nothing to be gained from waiting but also if you miss it, expect it to be in the Christmas sale

Quote Originally Posted by gwathdring View Post
    Does anyone else find it disconcerting that Skyrim costs less than it's DLC right now? I know. Daily Deal. Also you rope in customers who might spring for the DLC and anyone who wants Skyrim at a higher price has bought it--lord knows there was enough advertising.

But the decontextualized, intuitive "logical" part of my brain finds this disconcerting nonetheless.
    Never mind logic, I find it bloody annoying. Dragonborn isn't that old, so fair enough, but Dawnguard is older and much lighter on content.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    Unfortunately the Gamefly AC3 deal is UK-only. I think I'll buy it on another sale. I like The Patriot and Sleepy Hollow so I must play it.

As far as I know the city had like a billion official and colloquial names in the past millenium. One of the colloquial Turkish names was always Istanbul. I'm pretty sure it wasn't officially called Constantinople in the era Revelations is set (obviously not Istanbul either).
    Yeah, I have no idea what it was actually called at the time (or now). What I do know is that this is a great song by a great band on a great TV show that rotted my brain http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqJXxHi6RwQ

And yeah, I think the main issue is that the AssEngine/AssGameplay was never actually good for stealth or PoP-style platforming. It is great for combat and running long distances to catch someone. The games that focused on stealth (Ass1 and Ass3) suffered from it, and any time you need precision movements (chasing the almanac pages/sea shanties in ass3 and assFlag) are just frustrating. But when the series focuses on combat and great chase sequences (Ass2 series) or elaborate set pieces (Ass3's Desmond sequences), it is beautiful.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.