Page 519 of 576 FirstFirst ... 19419469509517518519520521529569 ... LastLast
Results 10,361 to 10,380 of 11517

Thread: PC Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I don't think I'd have given money to a shady looking site advertised by a guy with 1 post.
    Especially when his name is a pirate reference...

Of which you only need Blood Money, the other ones are varying degrees of... not as good as they could have been.
    to wound the autumnal city.

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    BM is clearly the high point of the series, but I had loads of fun with both Hitman 2 and Contracts too (never played the first one). BM might have the most refined mechanics, but there are some great scenarios in the other games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    BM is clearly the high point of the series, but I had loads of fun with both Hitman 2 and Contracts too (never played the first one). BM might have the most refined mechanics, but there are some great scenarios in the other games.
    This. Contracts, which was available as a download on GameFly up until recently, doesn't really work on Windows 7 but it and Silent Assassin had some really great missions, and - not trying to be contrary or anything - I think I preferred Hitman 2 to Blood Money. I know it was optional but the gun blinging in Blood Money was really... Weird. Nothing says 'stealth' like two chrome .45s with extended mags, extended slides, massive silencers, lasers, red dot sights oh and yeah, full-auto. Of course. Then again the whole 'pick your own guns' thing was kind of redundant from the start since any hit is best completed without firing a shot, so maybe I'm overthinking it, but I have fond memories of the hit in Japan where you could use the Fugu fish, also in (I think?) Contracts with the missions in (I think?) Kuala Lumpur; the pizza delivery to the basement, the fat guy in the bath (am I making this up?) and something else all based around the same skyscraper. (Edit: Looked it up, this was all Hitman 2)

I tried Codename 47 but the jank was a little too much. Also I think it crashed when I was exiting the first elevator.
    Last edited by neema_t; 11-01-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Just FTR I think GMG's Blood Money requires their own client (Capsule) to download.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy is today's daily deal on steam. I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but if you can tolerate the frankly inexplicable plot and lore, it can be a pretty entertaining cyber ninja fantasy simulator. Maybe.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by postinternetsyndrome View Post
    E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy is today's daily deal on steam. I wouldn't exactly recommend it, but if you can tolerate the frankly inexplicable plot and lore, it can be a pretty entertaining cyber ninja fantasy simulator. Maybe.
    Srsly, in what other game can you do psychic fart in an Air Ventilation shaft and accidentally throw your friend ~10meters to a wall which almost kills him. Huh!

(Psi ops was kinda funny. "Psykers" can essentially have a 360 aoe blast if enemy is right next to you and i didn't notice my friend was right behind me.)

I have the feeling that I would've enjoyed EYE if I understood it. I relly tried but the lack of savegames and the whole confusing abilities and lore made it impossible for me to enjoy.
    Also I started one of the story missions, got spotted for hundreds kilometers away, got killed and never understood how to continue said mission.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    I actually really loved EYE. It is definitely not polished and the game doesn't make a lot of sense, but once you realize that you are playing something closer to the fourth episode of DOOM (Thy Flesh Consumed) than Deus Ex and you grab as much ammo and gear as you can carry, it all comes together and makes for some fun murdering. And I love how the inventory system makes every single re-arm feel like a montage from a movie.

And once you've gotten your gunplay high enough you can start playing with psyker abilities and magic and the like, which is also fun.

Also: Ugh. Apparently the devs changed where saves were stored but googling how to back stuff up still sends you to the old folder. So the saves I made a point of backing up before my reformat a few months back are gone. All because a dev refuses to use steam cloud saves...
    Last edited by gundato; 11-01-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    This. Contracts, which was available as a download on GameFly up until recently, doesn't really work on Windows 7 but it and Silent Assassin had some really great missions, and - not trying to be contrary or anything - I think I preferred Hitman 2 to Blood Money. I know it was optional but the gun blinging in Blood Money was really... Weird. Nothing says 'stealth' like two chrome .45s with extended mags, extended slides, massive silencers, lasers, red dot sights oh and yeah, full-auto. Of course. Then again the whole 'pick your own guns' thing was kind of redundant from the start since any hit is best completed without firing a shot, so maybe I'm overthinking it, but I have fond memories of the hit in Japan where you could use the Fugu fish, also in (I think?) Contracts with the missions in (I think?) Kuala Lumpur; the pizza delivery to the basement, the fat guy in the bath (am I making this up?) and something else all based around the same skyscraper. (Edit: Looked it up, this was all Hitman 2)

I tried Codename 47 but the jank was a little too much. Also I think it crashed when I was exiting the first elevator.
    Hitman 2 Silent Assassin was always my favourite. I loved the graphics, art, and gameplay, everything was just perfect.

And yea the fish assassination is great, same with invading the ninja lair lol :D

All the levels were awesome in that game IIRC, and great weapons!

Kuala Lumpur; the pizza delivery to the basement, the fat guy in the bath (am I making this up?) and something else all based around the same skyscraper. (Edit: Looked it up, this was all Hitman 2)
    Yea the fat guy in the tub was in the skyscraper level (one of them, the other one is the hacker one). His "hunnies" pack firepower :D

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I absolutely loved EYE Divine Cybermancy and might even be a bit of a fanboi when it comes to the game (which means, disregard all praise coming from me). It's certainly one of those older types of games, where you've got all the information at hand and the game isn't affraid to kill the player. This makes it seem daunting, even impenetrable. Do I really need to know that stat xyz increases another stat by dividing a base value through another stat, then multiplies it with a modifier from yet another stat and increases... yeah along those lines.
    It certainly helps, at least in the beginning to have a good two second look at the stats, tell it to go fuck itself and just play the game. Same goes for the story. It actually does make sense, but not until you've basically beaten the game a couple of times and seen the alternate paths. Might not have been the best idea. True. But there's even a decent explanation why the maincharacter is such an idiot to begin with. To enjoy this game, you need to be able to roll with not understanding everything. This may seem anachronistic in these times of tutorials and overexplaining, but that's the way the game works. You also need to have some nostalgia for old first person shooters, at least for the early parts. Death is frequent. However if you stick with it, you'll get to feel like a real badass. Not one of those "I need to show restraint" superpowered guys. No, you're an all out imba death machine. A typical mid to late game scenario could play out like that:

You enter the street, a group of enemies is on the ground level, another group is upstairs. You remotely kill an enemy by teleporting right where he was. Now stending on a ledge you offer a nice katana to the face to the other guy nearby. He accepts by exploding into pieces. Activating cloak, you then hack a nearby cyberbrain, turning him hostile against his friends, followed by activating your Cyber Jump and soaring into the sky. Some poor goomba's head breaks your fall. He dies. Your dermal sheath implant protects you from the aftermath of firing the Excidium at close range. A 40 mm cannon that shoots explosive rounds and makes quick work of the rest.

Which is why I love the game. What it doesn't support is proper stealth play or any approach that can't be summarized by "come on, it's personal now". Personally, I found a few things fundamental to enjoying this game though:

1) Turn down spawnrate in the options. Purists will cry bloody vengeance, but there are still enough enemies to go 'round.
    2) Set the AI to Stealth Friendly (this "solves" the onehit wonders on extreme ranges)
    3) As soon as possible, research the medkit. You want it.
    4) As soon as possible, buy the cloak. It's almost mandatory.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    The developers of EYE are making a Warhammer FPS. Can't think of a better studio for the job. The player character feels ridiculously powerful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I don't think I'd have given money to a shady looking site advertised by a guy with 1 post.
    Normally I'd feel the same, and I don't really want to encourage borderline forum spam, but... I can happily report that I just finished the (hilarious) tutorial on my €0.99 copy of Blood Dragon. The site's legit, you just need to jump through some hoops, and probably use a VPN at some point if you're in the colonies.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthile View Post
    Of which you only need Blood Money, the other ones are varying degrees of... not as good as they could have been.
    Hitman 2 is good solid fun. One of my favourite games.
    But under no circumstances must you ever buy Absolution for more than Two Currencies.

And EYE is definitely worth it at that price, unless it isn't- there's no real way to know whether you'll like it til you play it. Good for you that there's a demo. Just don't expect it to be nice. It's an LSD-infused Half Life 1.5 mod crossed with a pen-and-paper RPG from another dimension.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMcCaffrey View Post
    Just don't expect it to be nice. It's an LSD-infused Half Life 1.5 mod crossed with a pen-and-paper RPG from another dimension.
    That's probably the best description of it I've ever encountered. Well done. :)

Not my thing, but there's nothing like it whatsoever. So if it is your thing, prepare to be amazed that such a thing even exists let alone that you like it. :P
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardust’s Music Sounds Better With You. There’s lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context that’s cheating -bull0

Drox Operative, The Game They Don't Want You to Play, is 75% off and available for £3.74/€4.99.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DROXO/drox-operative
    to wound the autumnal city.

I enjoyed what I played of Drox; the fact that I haven't played much beyond the demo has a lot more to do with my short attention span and reluctance to sink enough time into getting good at it than with the game. I don't regret buying it. Since the sale lasts for another 16 or so hours at time of writing, I'd suggest that anyone on the fence about it downloads the very generous demo from http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/demo.html and/or reads Adam Smith's Wot I Think.
    "Harry uses the One Ring to defeat Magneto and save the Rebellion!"
    With thanks to RaveTurned in comments on the main page.

Yeah been waiting for a Drox sale, I see there's an expansion available as well from Soldak for 9.99 USD.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Drox is amazing - it's an ARPG in space but unlike other games which attempt that, this one WORKS

It has all the usual Soldak magic - the universe is alive around you, stuff happens whether you're there or not and you not doing things is as likely to have consequences as you doing stuff.

Everyone needs a Soldak game in their lives - Depths of Peril for RPG players who like tactical intrigue, Dins Curse for people who prefer a more direct 'dungeon explorer' and Drox if space is more your bag.

Pool Nation is the Steam Daily Deal. You absolutely want to buy it.