Page 539 of 594 FirstFirst ... 39439489529537538539540541549589 ... LastLast
Results 10,761 to 10,780 of 11871

Thread: PC Bargains

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    I have pre ordered DS2 from them a few days ago. Haven't used them before but from what I read and what people said in here, they are ok. I hope I'm not proven wrong.
    Yeah, regardless of any arguments over the rights and wrongs of their business model, Simply do seem to be trustworthy enough. I've ordered a couple of things from them - one a pre-order - and never had any problems with them (I had to verify some details with them at one point but it was a perfectly legit enquiry on their part, none of this "Send us a photocopy of your passport" nonsense, their emails explaining it were courteous and polite and the whole thing was cleared up very quickly).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I thought simply was an actual, lawful, honest-to-goodness game selling site? the CD-Key version of UK based simplygames?

Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    I thought simply was an actual, lawful, honest-to-goodness game selling site? the CD-Key version of UK based simplygames?
    I believe you are correct.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Lawful is too complicated to field here - but...

It is the CD key part of SimplyGames - yup

Their keys are clearly sourced from the same places as other CD Key resellers tho - you can tell this because

a - they're MUCH cheaper than the "official" outlets (prices more-in-line with the hatconomy)
    b - they run out of stock frequently (indicating their source isn't a reliable publisher but a third-party with limited supplies)
    c - a lot of their keys state limited languages (frequently just English) which suggests they are Asian/Russian keys rather than European or American (where you'd always find Spanish/French at least)

I suspect places like SimplyGames and ShopTo source their physical games from 'less official' channels too (they're always a lot cheaper than the more mainstream suppliers) - it's entirely upto you how you view them, but I'd say you're buying the same keys from them as you would be the resellers listed somewhere like http://www.allkeyshop.com/blog/ - it's more a matter of 'trust' in the payment process than legit-ness of the keys you're seeing, I think.
    Last edited by trjp; 06-04-2014 at 02:29 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Lawful is too complicated to field here - but...

It is the CD key part of SimplyGames - yup

Their keys are clearly sourced from the same places as other CD Key resellers tho - you can tell this because

a - they're MUCH cheaper than the "official" outlets (prices more-in-line with the hatconomy)
    b - they run out of stock frequently (indicating their source isn't a reliable publisher but a third-party with limited supplies)
    c - a lot of their keys state limited languages (frequently just English) which suggests they are Asian/Russian keys rather than European or American (where you'd always find Spanish/French at least)
    They had no UPlay keys for anything at all for the longest time, and when they got that stock of Blacklist keys in for their Spring sale just gone they were sending out black-and-white photocopies of the back of the box. These may, strictly speaking, have been purchased "lawfully" - and I hope so since hey, I bought one! - but I highly doubt they were totally, completely, 100% on the level in every possible sense. I buy from CD key resellers every now and then because I'm poor, I struggle to justify the full $60/£40+ on all but a tiny minority of games, and I figure costing and regional pricing and all the rest of it is at least slightly borked. But unlike, say, Lewie P., I don't automatically assume this puts me on the side of the angels, end of story.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I should add that LewieP recently fielded the question of 'non-authorised' CD resellers over at Savygamer - a bit heavy-handedly (as is his wont) but I find myself mostly agreeing with him that

a - assuming their keys aren't stolen (see below) they're as 'legit' as any other key you can buy
    b - you have to make-up your own mind whether you want to go down that route to save a bit of cash - or not

A lot of people are asking LewieP to 'vouch for' or at least 'categorise' such sellers but I think that's unfair - he finds the deal, you decide if it's one you want to pursue - or not.

It all came about when a deal for cheap copies of Proteus appeared on a shop called Fast2Play. One of the devs commented that "he'd rather people pirate the game than buy it from them as he didn't make any money from the sale". When challenged as to where they keys came from - he bought one, checked it and he says it was from a block which went to Humble for one of their bundles...

Checking closer, it was before the mandatory Steam integration - so clearly someone (not necessarily Shop2Play but probably them) just block-bought Humble Bundles and stockpiled the keys for later use.

That's against the terms of the sale but as I said earlier that's too complex an issue to field here. Some people would say those keys were not 'authorised' - some would say they were 'not for resale' - some might call them 'stolen' but that's a bit of a leap

Whatever tho - the dev did receive something for them but they've been used in ways the dev didn't agree to and the person selling it to you is not entirely 'honest john'.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just to clarify, I did read Lewie's commentary, and while I certainly value SavyGamer (although the word is SAVVY DEAR GOD THAT ALWAYS BUGS ME), I frequently find I don't like... his online personality? much (obviously I don't know the guy, etc., etc.). I do not agree that simply saying "Cheap goods for all!" automatically trumps every other issue his arguments touch on, as he seems to think.

Whatever tho - the dev did receive something for them but they've been used in ways the dev didn't agree to and the person selling it to you is not entirely 'honest john'.
    Yeah, pretty much this. For me it's just down to - does this bother you? No? That's fine, seriously. Carry on shopping and more power to you - you're not breaking any laws. Just please don't pretend that means it shouldn't be a problem for anyone for any reason.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    isn't it a play on savey gamer that just didn't turn out so well? Like, savey, savvy, deals... you know?

I'm not saying it is. I just thought it was?

The name is just a fortunate typo, I've heard.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    ah, it hardly matters anyway. It's not something to go and change your url over.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I played a WoW character called Lintila for so long that I've almost gotten over the fact it should be Lintilla (someone beat me to the proper spelling)

and yes there was an Alitnil - we levelled together for a while and all without cancelling each other out - we never did meet PooDoo/Varntvarr - thankfully!

and yes, I don't necessarily agree that 'cheap is cheap' but I think, if you're highlighting deals, you highlight them and let people work-out which ones they want to use.

Anyone who's really bothered by this stuff should setup some sort of 'FairTrade' for developers ;0

Might and Magic X - Digital Deluxe version is £14.97 on Gamersgate this week, that's £10 less than the current Steam price and contains the first DLC for free (as well as M&M VI and the soundtrack). On the downside, I think the key is only for uPlay so instead of the Steam version where you only have to activate it on uPlay, I assume the GamersGate version will need uPlay permanently installed.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If that game works like Trials/PoP etc - the Steam version will install a 'mini uPlay' which it will launch when you run the game from Steam (or the desktop) - inside which you get all the UPlay features you know and love but no sign of your other games.

It's still "a launcher which launches from a launcher" tho ;0

In some ways, I'd rather just have the "normal" UPlay version - at least you only have 1 copy of UPlay on your system instead of 1 for every game!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    If that game works like Trials/PoP etc - the Steam version will install a 'mini uPlay' which it will launch when you run the game from Steam (or the desktop) - inside which you get all the UPlay features you know and love but no sign of your other games.

It's still "a launcher which launches from a launcher" tho ;0

In some ways, I'd rather just have the "normal" UPlay version - at least you only have 1 copy of UPlay on your system instead of 1 for every game!!
    At least it's not as if these games are excluded from your "normal" UPlay list or anything, though. To be honest I never really notice these things - I have both services set to launch on boot, so if I want to play a game I think of as a UPlay title I just click on that icon first, and whether or not it launches Steam after that makes little or no difference to me. Both clients show my complete list of purchases and that's all I really care about.

If you have been an iRacing subscriber in the (distant?) past, might worth checking the email address you signed up with. I just found a promo code for 12 months of subscription for one measly buck in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    The name is just a fortunate typo, I've heard.
    Cool, I always thought it was intentional.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

On the other hand, I generally like the Steam versions as it means that I can download the game from the Steam content servers without it counting towards my monthly ISP download limits. That and as Steam is my main launcher I tend to find my direct Uplay games tend to be out of sight out of mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermal Ions View Post
    On the other hand, I generally like the Steam versions as it means that I can download the game from the Steam content servers without it counting towards my monthly ISP download limits. That and as Steam is my main launcher I tend to find my direct Uplay games tend to be out of sight out of mind.
    What is this 'download limit' concept and how is Steam exempt but uPlay not?? Who is your feudal lord who imposes these burdens?? :)

Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar
    What he said and also can't you just add those games to the steam launcher? There are whole websites of custom banner art for Steam for this very purpose

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    What is this 'download limit' concept and how is Steam exempt but uPlay not?? Who is your feudal lord who imposes these burdens?? :)
    Lucky bastard. Steam games definitely count toward my download limit.

At the very least my feudal lord is, thank god, not Comcast.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Lesser Hivemind Node postinternetsyndrome's Avatar
    Don't know if this fits here or if we should have a "I'm going to buy this game what are my options"-thread, but it seems a bit niche for its own thread.

I've got myself a new graphics card and want to play Crysis 3. It's not super expensive anyway, but there seems to be a lot of different this or that edition and dlc packs and whatnot, and no "complete edition" that just throws all the stuff into a single bin. So my question is really: What parts of the game do I need for the game to be complete, and where is it cheap? (That almost rhymes, neat.)