Page 555 of 586 FirstFirst ... 55455505545553554555556557565 ... LastLast
Results 11,081 to 11,100 of 11709

Thread: PC Bargains

Lesser Hivemind Node Prolar Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    The Tekken games are an almost perfect example of the kind of movement/combo style I find completely impenetrable.
    Oh, I see. Strange, as I find Street Fighter and 2D fighters in general similarly impenetrable\too complex\unwieldy; also, there is a good number of characters in Tekken who don't have complex input patterns. I've only played Soul Calibur briefly but I remember liking it and finding it to be fairly similar to Tekken, actually. Then again, different strokes etc.

Virtua Fighter is good too, but it's basically hardcore Tekken with less flashy stuff, a slower pace, less juggles and a complex input system.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prolar Bear View Post
    Oh, I see. Strange, as I find Street Fighter and 2D fighters in general similarly impenetrable\too complex\unwieldy; also, there is a good number of characters in Tekken who don't have complex input patterns. I've only played Soul Calibur briefly but I remember liking it and finding it to be fairly similar to Tekken, actually. Then again, different strokes etc.

Virtua Fighter is good too, but it's basically hardcore Tekken with less flashy stuff, a slower pace, less juggles and a complex input system.
    Now that you mention it, I think I might be thinking of Virtua Fighter, rather than Tekken. It would be an older one that I'd played, back in the PS2 era. Perhaps Tekken need another look.

I'm not so much of a fighting games guy. I despise the minmaxing structure of most of them but I really enjoyed Tekken (I played the third one on a ps emulator). It was slower paced a more about knowing when to hit. You had to know a lot of moves, but each move served a purpose for a certain, it wasn't just combo mashing. I enjoyed playing with a certain character that fights using TaeKwon-Do moves, a martial art I practice. It was nicely done as I was able to take part of my knowledge and use it in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikey View Post
    I'm not so much of a fighting games guy. I despise the minmaxing structure of most of them but I really enjoyed Tekken (I played the third one on a ps emulator). It was slower paced a more about knowing when to hit. You had to know a lot of moves, but each move served a purpose for a certain, it wasn't just combo mashing. I enjoyed playing with a certain character that fights using TaeKwon-Do moves, a martial art I practice. It was nicely done as I was able to take part of my knowledge and use it in game.
    This, absolutely this. If you're on the fence just download some Tekken 3 ISO (it's not even sold anymore I reckon) and emulate it, it still holds very well. The TKD guy is Hwoarang, and in the other games there's Baek too, a variation on the same style.

I was tempted by Injustice because I really enjoyed MK9, but it mostly just seemed like more of that, so I passed.

Now that you mention it, I think I might be thinking of Virtua Fighter, rather than Tekken. It would be an older one that I'd played, back in the PS2 era. Perhaps Tekken need another look.
    IMHO, you had it right the first time. Tekken is more combo/juggle/execution heavy (big on memorization and timing), which makes it relatively impenetrable, but the fast and flashy presentation has popular appeal. Virtua Fighter is the purist's series, and it does require some practice to get comfortable with, but it's not unapproachable (just un-mashable). Soul Calibur is friendlier than either. I love VF and find its depth more rewarding than the rest, but I'm not a very serious player of fighters.

I think we've derailed the thread but Bobtree is right as well - the juggles have gotten longer with T6. I think Tekken is still relatively easy in terms of inputs, because VF, from what I recall, had LOTS of circular motions required. Stuff like quarter-circle back and then forward just to do a punch. Ohwell, let us know how Injustice is!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I feel like the main difference is the distance you gain while fighting. In Soul Calibur for example, you're always relatively close to your enemy and in those rare cases you're not, you've got plenty of moves to quickly close in. As such the combat feels fluid and natural even if you don't know all the combos yet.

Stuff like Street Fighter allows a bigger distance between combatants and attacks frequently send people flying to the other end of the arena. If I classify moves into Gap Closers, Combo Starters, Maintainers and Combo Finisher, the main difference between the two fighting styles would be:
    - The distance people gain after a Finisher.
    - The potency of gap closers.

In Soul Calibur, the distance is small and the potency of gap closers is great. In Street Fighter (and Injustice) the distance is large and the gap closers aren't as strong. So if you don't know your combos in and out, you're probably using combo finishers all the time, not least of all because they're somehow easiest to execute. Each time you do, the enemy ends up a fair distance and closing that gap takes relatively long. As a result it feels less fluid to me, due to the pauses. This becomes irrelevant on a higher skill level I reckon.

Network Hub
    I'm intrigued by MK:K, but i can't buy it in my country so... *shrugs*

Would it work, if someone else bought it and then gift it to me, or would it be blocked on my account anyway? Or would the gifting not work in the 1st place? I don't like the thought of sending my credentials through an unknown proxy or vpn server.
    Last edited by DanMan; 04-06-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    I'm intrigued by MK:K, but i can't buy it in my country so... *shrugs*

Would it work, if someone else bought it and then gift it to me, or would it be blocked on my account anyway? Or would the gifting not work in the 1st place? I don't like the thought of sending my credentials through an unknown proxy or vpn server.
    There's never a clear cut answer to this as it's a bit messy all around. In general, I found http://www.regionlocks.com/ to be pretty useful in that regard. Alternatively you can crawl the Database yourself: http://steamdb.info/sub/29006/info/. It only lists a purchase restriction, not an activation restriction.

It should, in theory, work. But like I said, there's never a guarantee.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by theForged View Post
    There's never a clear cut answer to this as it's a bit messy all around. In general, I found http://www.regionlocks.com/ to be pretty useful in that regard. Alternatively you can crawl the Database yourself: http://steamdb.info/sub/29006/info/. It only lists a purchase restriction, not an activation restriction.

It should, in theory, work. But like I said, there's never a guarantee.
    Thanks for the hint. Did just that, and the trade worked just fine.

Sniper Elite V2 is free on Steam for the next 24 hours (ends Thursday 10am PT)
    Steam : pngblackice
    Raptr : pngblackice

Quote Originally Posted by Blackice View Post
    This is actually a pretty good little stealth/tactical shooter, certainly worth a go if you enjoy that kind of thing. It has full campaign co-op, too, if you want to play it that way (though it's also lovely in SP). Don't neglect to turn the ballistic realism all the way up!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    ALL OVER THIS LIKE HOT BUTTER ON POPCORN
    Whitetext here why thankyou.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Nice one, Blackice. Spent hours with the original on the ol' PS2 and it was very good -- yes, heresy I know. The kill-cam shots were quite satisfying and sometimes hilarious unlike in certain other popular games. Probably has something to do with the long and tense buildup to a kill-cam shot in Sniper Elite. I prefer to be rewarded with gratuitous head-explosions only when I've been led to believe I have done something very difficult.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Victoria 2 + all DLCs for 10 $YOURLOCALCURRENCY.

Pretty good deal if not the best yet. Heart of darkness is rarely discounted and it's really an excellent addition.

That would be great, thanks!
    Injustice looks quite good. I played for an hour, the tutorial and the first episode of the story (mind you, on very easy!). Graphics are very good, the fighting is fluid and it seems ever so slightly easier compared to MK.

Not sure if that helps! Tbh, get them both, you will most likely get your moneys worth.

I played the full tutorial and half a dozen fights of the Story mode yesterday. So far it's been preeeetty good. I also have the impression that it's a tad easier to play than MK9, which felt a little clunky to me.

Network Hub
    The latest DailyRoyale deal features Apple Jack 1 & 2 for €0.99. Still on Greenlight (& Desura) for now. Still, I just (finally) gave in to a DR deal.

I appreciate the feedback folks. I'm still leaning toward caution, but I'll probably pick it up eventually.

Injustice sounds good, thanks. Though I'm just going to stick to my lowly emulated Tekken 6...I'm learning this guy.
    Oh by the way I forgot to mention the most important thing about fighting games: having friends to play them with. It's the greatest incentive to learn and play them.