Page 577 of 608 FirstFirst ... 77477527567575576577578579587 ... LastLast
Results 11,521 to 11,540 of 12159

Thread: PC Bargains

  1. #11521
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Eight Rooks View Post
    EDIT: Ha, let me amend that a little by saying I've just seen XIII's actual boss for the first time (I assume he simply doesn't appear on the lowest difficulty). Christ, the cheese is so strong I'm nearly gagging. No idea what Skullgirls is like, but it can't be anything like as bad as this. ;_; So take that into account.

    Double EDIT: So there's another boss past him? Weep! Aaand the first post I see on GameFAQs is someone complaining they're both too easy... ah, classic SNK.
    KOF XIII's bosses are both cheap and easy, as they have what has become fairly typical fighting game boss design. They have horribly unbalanced moved combined with poor AI. They will destroy a beginner with rage inducing cheese, but once you find the flaws in the AI they are easy to beat on autopilot, as long as you don't mess up your move execution. The end result is a battle that isn't fun, but it is an easy way to inject some artificial difficulty into a mode that the most vocal part of your fan base derides anyway. As an added "benefit", it gives some of that vocal fan base an ego stroke when they get to say in public how east the boss is to defeat (just because they abuse exploits in the AI), knowing that others find said bosses difficult or game stopping.

    XIII suffers a bit more in not even having an interesting boss design. I can only assume that SNK cut corners due to their financial issues, because XIII's double boss design is not only lazy by SNK's standards (I'm looking at you Orochi), XIII's ending doesn't really match where the storyline appeared to be going after XI. Mukai's team, previously built up to be important future opponents, gets dismissed in a cutscene? The sub-boss is a featureless humanoid blob/shadow, obscured with black effects? The boss that is a palette swap of an existing character? The sub-boss and boss share moves, made even worse because the sub-boss only had a few moves from the start?

    But regardless of all that, you can have a bit of fun with KOF XIII. Some characters are execution heavy, while others are less so. I want to recall that it gives you handicaps if you continue in single player, as well. High level play is dominated by certain team designs, but that is true for most fighting games.

  2. #11522
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,951
    Having played some single player and finished all but two of the tutorials ... Street Fighter is a tougher game in some respects, but it's also a slower game. I feel like I have so much more time to react in Street Fighter IV even though I'm less capable of pulling of the necessary reactions. Here, against a practice-room opponent I'm actually able to pull of some long-chain combos and I can definitely fire off all of the specials at will ... but once the game is in motion, the high mobility of cast that isn't so apparent in practice and in tutorials becomes properly realized. This is a blazing fast game ... I'll keep at it for a while, but I'm pretty sure this one is dead in the water until I can find someone similarly incompetent to play against locally. I was optimistic after the great tutorial sequence ... but jeez. I think it's just too fast for me. :( Obviously with enough time and practice that would be erased but I think I'd rather go with something a little less hyper.

    It's a gorgeous game and it does a far better job teaching than any fighter I've tried so far (admittedly not too many, but more than I've mentioned). But ... damn. I haven't been eviscerated that badly that quickly that many times in a row since Super Hexagon. And, I suppose, I got pretty good at that. But the payoff was also more immediate, I think. We'll see.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

    You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

  3. #11523
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Baines View Post
    KOF XIII's bosses are both cheap and easy, as they have what has become fairly typical fighting game boss design. They have horribly unbalanced moved combined with poor AI. They will destroy a beginner with rage inducing cheese, but once you find the flaws in the AI they are easy to beat on autopilot, as long as you don't mess up your move execution. The end result is a battle that isn't fun, but it is an easy way to inject some artificial difficulty into a mode that the most vocal part of your fan base derides anyway. As an added "benefit", it gives some of that vocal fan base an ego stroke when they get to say in public how east the boss is to defeat (just because they abuse exploits in the AI), knowing that others find said bosses difficult or game stopping.
    Haven't attempted to cheese him yet (or to burn through a pile of continues, come to that... #somanygames) but certainly, yeah, having looked up a few YouTube videos... I can see what you mean. :( I actually quite like the way Dark Ash works, visually, but I'll freely admit it still looks like a way for SNK to put the minimum effort in. Hopefully I can least acquire the discipline to take the "easy" way out (one guy was saying extreme turtling would do it, though we'll see).
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

  4. #11524
    Lesser Hivemind Node Bobtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    629
    Titanfall is $20 on Origin.
    Edit: also it's free to play this weekend.
    Last edited by Bobtree; 23-08-2014 at 02:23 PM.

  5. #11525
    Lesser Hivemind Node TheDreamlord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    715
    What is up with Nuuvem telling me that "this product is not available for purchase for your region" even for non region restricted games? This seems new, as I bought a few games from them a couple of months ago without any problems.

  6. #11526
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    What is up with Nuuvem telling me that "this product is not available for purchase for your region" even for non region restricted games? This seems new, as I bought a few games from them a couple of months ago without any problems.
    They could have started locking out non-Latin American IPs? (I have no idea if they could do this on a game-by-game basis, mind. Someone correct me if I'm talking nonsense.) I wouldn't be surprised if they've had publishers sending them angry communiques at some point. Have you tried it with Hola or some other similar service?
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

  7. #11527
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    785
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDreamlord View Post
    What is up with Nuuvem telling me that "this product is not available for purchase for your region" even for non region restricted games? This seems new, as I bought a few games from them a couple of months ago without any problems.
    They don't sell some games outside of latin america even if the key is not region restricted. 2K are very big on no selling outside of region with somethings.

  8. #11528
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
    They don't sell some games outside of latin america even if the key is not region restricted. 2K are very big on no selling outside of region with somethings.
    Do I need to say 'Hola'?

  9. #11529
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    S„o Paulo
    Posts
    1,378
    Given that Nuuvem is Brazilian, that wouldn't be very wise.

  10. #11530
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,688

  11. #11531
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    UK, Derby
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    What am I, chopped liver?

    ...but given Faldrath seemed confused, perhaps I should have said "Hola, the VPN/unblocking service". Cassandra and Lewie mention it so often I got the impression everyone knew what it was.
    Steam | Tumblr (stories, writing-related) | Twitter

  12. #11532
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    S„o Paulo
    Posts
    1,378
    Yeah, apologies, yet another case of "don't post when you're tired". Most Brazilians are wired to react angrily at anyone who insinuates we speak Spanish, not Portuguese, and I messed up there.

  13. #11533
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,548
    For all of you adventure game lovers out there:

    The Journey Down Episode 1 is 90% off down to 69 eurocents in celebration for Ep. 2 releasing today.
    The Book of Unwritten Tales and Critter Chronicles are both less than $2 each on the Gala Store
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  14. #11534
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Faldrath View Post
    Yeah, apologies, yet another case of "don't post when you're tired". Most Brazilians are wired to react angrily at anyone who insinuates we speak Spanish, not Portuguese, and I messed up there.
    What about people who think you speak Brazilian (which you surely do - Mexicans speak Mexican!?) :)

  15. #11535
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Quote Originally Posted by alms View Post
    For all of you adventure game lovers out there:
    They are all gone, starved to death in their windowless attics after trying to collect all of the "useful items" they'll need later in their quest.

    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    What about people who think you speak Brazilian (which you surely do - Mexicans speak Mexican!?) :)
    I eat Mexican, and I'm British.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  16. #11536
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I eat Mexican, and I'm British.
    Then again, does anyone really eat British?

  17. #11537
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus alms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    4,548
    Quote Originally Posted by heliocentric View Post
    they are all gone, starved to death in their windowless attics after trying to collect all of the "useful items" they'll need later in their quest.

    .____________________________________
    |....................................|
    |
    ..[ restore ] [ restart ] [ quit ]..|
    |____________________________________|

    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

    "You take the Klingon's detached hand"

  18. #11538
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,688
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Then again, does anyone really eat British?
    This girl makes a series which covers that and many other things about the British better than I ever could

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbCm...Pmr8g0EBFj32aT

  19. #11539
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fanbuoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The Capital of Scandinavia
    Posts
    1,254
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    This girl makes a series which covers that and many other things about the British better than I ever could

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbCm...Pmr8g0EBFj32aT
    Ah, charming! I've actually experienced a fair few of those during my trips to Blighty. (Can a non-British person use that phrase? I don't care, I like it.) However, I had no idea that that's what a crumpet is. Also, I was in Cornwall for a while and apparently ate my scones the Devon way! The shame!

  20. #11540
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,482
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanbuoy View Post
    Blighty. (Can a non-British person use that phrase? I don't care, I like it.)
    British people never use it but its completely inoffensive.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •