Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wii U

Wii U

Well?

Strikes me that what was missing from this announcement was, well, games. Oh sure there was some third-party nonsense and that's all well and good, but that's not what I'm there for. And Nintendo for their part announced only Smash Bros. (which I'm not really interested in) and later said they shouldn't even have announced that as they haven't actually started working on it!

Obviously the games will come, but if nothing else their absence at E3 suggests the system is further away than I'd like and left the presentation feeling a bit flat. I'm particularly disappointed in the continued absence of modern iterations of Pilotwings, Starfox and F-Zero. Pilotwings in particular is a perfect title by which to 'bridge the divide' between casual and core gamers for Nintendo as Mario Kart does.

And for fuck's sake Nintendo, give us some specs.

Activated Node
    If hardware is the only thing we're going to get then this sounds much better than all of the motion sensing nonsense. The opportunities for asymmetrical gaming are very attractive. You're absolutely right though, it means nothing if no decent software appears for it.

I agree with you on the games front. Though I do understand that this is very new and devs are still wrapping their brains around how best to use the hardware. Here's hoping they come up with some very clever and innovative titles that uniquely exploit the tech.

And I'm pretty stoked that I can bring my Wii library (both hardware and software) over to the Wii U. I'd be slightly perturbed if I had to leave behind the Wiimotes, nunchuks, motionplus, Wiifit (WIFEY'S), and classic controller when jumping to the Wii. That's quite the hardware investment.

I'll just paste over what I said in the console gaming thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Anybody see the stuff about the Wii U? The shame of it is that it'll turn out exactly like the Wii in as much as there's real potential to do some interesting stuff with it and bring some real improvements on certain genres to the console markets (strategy is the one that leaps out at me, but with a pointer or touchscreen you've got potential for management type things, different sorts of puzzlers, etc.) but it'll just go completely unused. There'll be, like, 5 games that actually make the most of it.

On the Wii, for example, I think Metroid Prime 3 was one of the best console shooters because the controls were (for me) better than playing one with a pad. And The Conduit... well they worked really hard on the controls but then forgot to make an actual good game to go with it. I really liked PES08 on the Wii as well. Sure it looked ugly but I thought the controls for that were excellent and let you do stuff in games that with a regular pad set-up it'd be much trickier to do, and I'm sort of sad that nobody's tried to ape this on PC with a decent mouse-based set-up for a game as then you'd have even more accuracy.
    A brave heart and a courteous tongue. They shall carry thee far through the jungle, manling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    And for fuck's sake Nintendo, give us some specs.
    No proper specs yet, but this is a pretty good list:

• Size: Approximately 1.8 inches tall, 6.8 inches wide and 10.5 inches long.
    • New Controller: The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button controls, including two analog Circle Pads.[/B] This combination removes the traditional barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.
    • Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once. The new console supports all Wii ™ controllers and input devices, including the Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance Board™.
    • Media: A single self-loading media bay will play 12-centimeter proprietary high-density optical discs for the new console, as well as 12-centimeter Wii optical discs.
    • Video Output: Supports 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i. Compatible cables include HDMI, component, S-video and composite.
    • Audio Output: Uses AV Multi Out connector. Six-channel PCM linear output through HDMI.
    • Storage: The console will have internal flash memory, as well as the option to expand its memory using either an SD memory card or an external USB hard disk drive.
    • CPU: IBM Power®-based multi-core microprocessor.
    • GPU: AMD Radeon™-based High Definition GPU.
    • Other: Four USB 2.0 connector slots are included. The new console is backward compatible with Wii games and Wii accessories.

They announced pikmin 3 and all those games in the showreel (I know they are images from other consoles) are likely to be on the WiiU. I don't really see where they are going with it though, most games are going to be mulitplatform and if this ends up being on the same level as 360/ps3 in terms of power then who is honestly going to jump ship for it?

What is the most strange thing is that they didn't really announce a platform but the controller for it, and as I said in the other thread I think the design is awful. I wonder if it will support the cube controller.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    They announced pikmin 3 and all those games in the showreel (I know they are images from other consoles) are likely to be on the WiiU. I don't really see where they are going with it though, most games are going to be mulitplatform and if this ends up being on the same level as 360/ps3 in terms of power then who is honestly going to jump ship for it?
    Well it's nice for Nintendo that robust third-party support appears likely this time around, but for my part I don't really give a shit. I mean, I'm sure there'll be multiplatform titles (that aren't also on PC or are otherwise a better fit for Wii U or whatever) here and there that I'm interested in, but they're not really a factor in my consideration of the system. I'm interested mostly in Nintendo's offerings.

I'd like for the system to be rather more powerful than PS3/X360, if only because it seems like it bloody well should be and it'd be nice when I'm playing that aforementioned rare multiplatform title to know that I'm getting the best experience possible, but I'm not expecting anything remarkable. If I want jawdropping graphics, that's what my PC is for. The important thing is that Nintendo will be able to offer games that don't seem to be belong to a previous decade.

What is the most strange thing is that they didn't really announce a platform but the controller for it, and as I said in the other thread I think the design is awful. I wonder if it will support the cube controller.
    It doesn't.

For my part I think the controller looks fine and I trust the reports of those who've used it that it's comfortable and works well. Also a big fan of the updated aesthetic. Incidentally, the unit itself is apparently roughly 2/3rds larger than Wii.
    Last edited by Rii; 08-06-2011 at 05:42 PM.

I'd be more impressed if they hadn't straight-up faked the demo reel. The graphics are on-par with other systems because they ARE from other systems.

http://consumerist.com/2011/06/ninte...-of-wii-u.html

I have to admit that I have no interest in a new Nintendo console. I expect nothing good to come of it-- it'll just be another cavalcade of damn Mario games, and a new Zelda, and a bunch of random crap that everyone has played a thousand times before, but slightly shinier and with half-baked gimmicks based on the fancy controller/tablet thing, which isn't bad for a standalone device (when I saw it, I though it WAS a standalone device-- a portable Ben Heck-style Wii, which would be pretty cool if it wasn't for the fact that Wii games are underwhelming as a whole) but which is still kind of behind tablet technology in general. A resistive touchscreen? A stylus? Really? Does it run Palm Pilot software too?

Yeah, Nintendo, whatever. Microsoft may just be repackaging PCs and Sony may be too expensive and kind of a joke now, but at least they put any effort into it at all.
    Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь.

“The important thing is that Nintendo will be able to offer games that don't seem graphically entirely out of place in 2012.”

I was looking more to the future with my comments really, if the WiiU isn't significantly more powerful then by the time the next xbox/ps are announced its going to look like the wii all over again. Third parties will go to the other consoles because they will be better graphically and the wiiu wont be getting the same quality of multiplatform games in the long run. But we have no idea what the console is capable of yet because they wont show us any proper games so this is all just wild speculation from me.

“It doesn't.”

Shame, I think that's the best controller ever made for a console, I suppose that means support for cube games is right out then?

I do like the look of the actual console though, its like a wii and an xbox had a baby, adorable is the word I would use.

edit: stupidly I just realized it will have a keyboard, sure it wont be a proper keyboard but its a hell of a lot better than struggling to enter characters with a d-pad or wii remote. stress free text entry on a console, I never thought I would see the day.
    Last edited by 8-bit; 08-06-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by solipsistnation View Post
    I'd be more impressed if they hadn't straight-up faked the demo reel. The graphics are on-par with other systems because they ARE from other systems.
    When Nintendo themselves have nothing to show it's hardly surprising that third parties don't either. And if Nintendo was aiming to deceive me as to the console's capabilities by borrowing PS3/X360 footage they failed, because I was disappointed in how poor it all looked. So I was actually rather pleased to learn that it wasn't representative footage.

I have to admit that I have no interest in a new Nintendo console. I expect nothing good to come of it-- it'll just be another cavalcade of damn Mario games, and a new Zelda, and a bunch of random crap that everyone has played a thousand times before
    It's not Nintendo's fault that they have more A-list IP than they know what to do with.

A stylus? Really? Does it run Palm Pilot software too?
    You did see the part where the guy drew Link, right? I'd like to see you do that with your finger.

Obscure Node
    The Wii U has potential I guess. It's obviously not close to as exciting as the Wii was.
    Based on what it turned out to be, I guess their lessons learned from the Wii are that you can't do all that much with motion control after all, and that you need solid hardware or third parties aren't going to support you properly.

The Wii didn't move the medium forward all that much. We expected it to, but the biggest thing it brought us were dancing games.
    Nobody is expecting the Wii U to move the medium forward. But then the DS with it's touch screen had much better games than the Wii. So I guess it made sense for them to move in that direction.

The Wii U also has enormous potential as a media center. If the controller has a decent range, you could just carry it everywhere in the house and use it to control music. And you could watch Youtube videos or DVDs and if you want to prepare the next video or change settings you could do that on your own little screen and keep the video running on the main screen. Since this is Nintendo though they will probably mess it up.

All in all I'm cautiously optimistic about this whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by 8-bit View Post
    “The important thing is that Nintendo will be able to offer games that don't seem graphically entirely out of place in 2012.”

I was looking more to the future with my comments really, if the WiiU isn't significantly more powerful then by the time the next xbox/ps are announced its going to look like the wii all over again. Third parties will go to the other consoles because they will be better graphically and the wiiu wont be getting the same quality of multiplatform games in the long run. But we have no idea what the console is capable of yet because they wont show us any proper games so this is all just wild speculation from me.
    I agree. Strategically Nintendo should be aiming for a considerable (yet not generational) tech advantage over PS3/X360 so as to:

1. Encourage the tech-sensitive console crowd (which of course is on PS3/X360 now) to 'upgrade' to Wii U.
    2. Allow Wii U to offer the 'best version' of current generation multiplatform titles.
    3. Ensure that the system can plausibly receive cut-down versions of PS4/X720 multiplatform titles when those consoles arrive.

I think it's unlikely that the system is as powerful as it should be to fulfil those criteria perfectly, if only due to the system's diminutive physical size (although it is significantly larger than Wii) which suggests limited cooling requirements. Or, y'know, Microsoft-level recklessness in systems design. :P

Shame, I think that's the best controller ever made for a console, I suppose that means support for cube games is right out then
    Yeah, I loved the GCN controller too. I still can't believe Nintendo went for Sony-style analogue-stick positioning with the Wii 'classic' controller. I don't know about backwards compatibility with GCN titles.
    Last edited by Rii; 08-06-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    It's not Nintendo's fault that they have more A-list IP than they know what to do with.
    Pfft. They know EXACTLY what to do with it-- milk it for all it's worth. It's just BORING.

You did see the part where the guy drew Link, right? I'd like to see you do that with your finger.
    I'm not saying that styli in general are bad-- I'm just saying that we have better technology these days than resistive touchscreens. Saying, "Well, it's not a tablet-- it's a controller" is disingenuous-- it looks like a tablet and is being set up as working like a tablet, so if it _doesn't_ work like a tablet, it will be a massive disappointment.

And here's somebody drawing something comparable with their finger:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMudNWBgyE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp8h97oCrX4

The technology is there-- Nintendo just isn't using it, and will, instead, release a console next year that was already out of date before it was announced. Again.
    Вы такие сексапильные, когда злитесь.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    the Wii U is interesting. But is Nintendo, and Nintendo do a lot of things backwards, so who know? supposedly we will see BF3 running on the thing. Lets wait and see, and maybe laught and facepalm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagan View Post
    The Wii U has potential I guess. It's obviously not close to as exciting as the Wii was.
    Based on what it turned out to be, I guess their lessons learned from the Wii are that you can't do all that much with motion control after all, and that you need solid hardware or third parties aren't going to support you properly.

The Wii didn't move the medium forward all that much. We expected it to, but the biggest thing it brought us were dancing games.
    As an artistic endeavour I think the Wii and the technology it introduced was largely a failure, in that most of the best games on the system are those for which the Wii's until-recently-unique qualities are incidental. It's ironic that it seems we'll have to wait until the very last breath of the system - Skyward Sword - to marry excellent use of motion controls to an otherwise excellent game.

In terms of Nintendo's stated objective for the Wii of greatly expanding the video game audience beyond the traditional gamer, I think it was a qualified success. Only a qualified success in that this expanded audience has turned out to be a fickle one, and not a particularly reliable source of revenue. This isn't so much an issue for Nintendo as it might've been because they made a profit on the hardware from Day #1, but undoubtedly they've come to the realisation that what the core gamer lacks in numbers he makes up for in reliability.

Of course that's not to say that Nintendo have given up on their expanded audience. The question is how to more reliability extract money from them. Mario Kart Wii was deliberately pitched as a gateway drug for casual gamers into the world of core gaming. And the sales numbers have been such as to make Call of Duty turn green with envy. Undoubtedly Nintendo will be attempting to replicate this straddling of the line in future, which is one reason why I'm astonished that Pilotwings is yet to put in a (non-handheld) appearence given that it would seem to be a perfect fit.

The Wii U also has enormous potential as a media center. If the controller has a decent range, you could just carry it everywhere in the house and use it to control music. And you could watch Youtube videos or DVDs and if you want to prepare the next video or change settings you could do that on your own little screen and keep the video running on the main screen. Since this is Nintendo though they will probably mess it up.

All in all I'm cautiously optimistic about this whole thing.
    I'm disappointed that they didn't actually announce any of the games I was hoping for, but 'cautious optimism' is my reaction to the system at this point too.

And yeah, Nintendo will undoubtedly screw something - or probably many things - up with the broader applications of the technology. Apparently they've brought in outside help to create the Wii U's online ecosystem this time around (my inner fanboi was hoping for a Nintendo + Valve/Steam announcement at E3 :P) but I doubt it'll be enough.
    Last edited by Rii; 08-06-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lambchops's Avatar
    Just read Ian's post, that's pretty much my take on it as well. Though instinctively this seems a lot safer than motion control was, in terms of it's potential to lead to some interesting games, it seems a lot less of an unknown quantity than motion control was at the time.

I doubt I'll be rushing to get one, and as it's a Nintendo product it will probably take ages to go down in price.

The discussion amongst the disturbingly technically literate folk over at Beyond3D seems to be edging towards consensus that the system is noticeably more powerful than PS3/X360.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    By way of tech, it'll be okay on arrival. "It can do 1080p" says Reggie. Wow. Yeah. Great. Where's the innovation, Ninty?

Oh right, a controller, of which only one can be used per Wii U has to be kept in line of sight and will rarely be used for anything truly creative. Did I mention it's called the Wii U?

Christ Nintendo, you're better than this.

Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    Oh right, a controller, of which only one can be used per Wii U has to be kept in line of sight and will rarely be used for anything truly creative. Did I mention it's called the Wii U?
    What's this about LOS? I've heard rumours of it being confined to a single room but that's all. Same reason only one controller is supported: wireless tech limitations.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    I thought I'd read LOS somewhere, but I'll be honest; I can't remember where or when, just that I thought I had.

I can understand there are limitations, but they need to be worked around. Personally, I'd call that a crippling lac of foresight and something Nintendo should resolve ASAP.