HOI3 or EU3 complete?

So, with the steam sale and all, both Hearts of Iron 3 and Europa Universalis 3 are on sale for quite cheap. (These are the only two Paradox grand strategy games for Mac). However, none of the HOI3 expansions are for Mac, so would I be better off getting EU complete? I'm more interested in the WWII time period, but it's not hugely important.

Banned
    Yeah, HOI3 without expacs is pretty naff. Actually, ANY Paradox game without expacs is pretty naff.

EU3 is pretty damn good, though, so you'd probably be best off with that. My advice is to definitely mod the game to hell and back, though.

Network Hub
    I'd EU3 is the way better bet, unless you are much more into the combat side of things.
    HoI3 was a game a fair amount in the Paradox community (the fans, that is) didn't especially get on with (me included), although I understand it's alot better than it was at launch - something that can be said about virtually every Paradox game, in fairness.

Still, I like the bigger picture of EU3 - it's entirely possible to play it almost without conflict if you want to, whereas HoI3 is basically a war simulator. Again - totally depends on your priorities.
    Steam ID: Fiyenyaa.
    My Blog: http://strollinggamely.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    EU3, although I recommend getting Chronicles rather than Complete, as Complete does not contain all the expansions (helpful, I know). They're worth the extra few pounds.

Yeah, be sure to get Chronicles if you get EU3 (which I think you should), I think it's worth the extra money just for the map improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiyenyaa View Post
    I'd EU3 is the way better bet, unless you are much more into the combat side of things.
    HoI3 was a game a fair amount in the Paradox community (the fans, that is) didn't especially get on with (me included), although I understand it's alot better than it was at launch - something that can be said about virtually every Paradox game, in fairness.

Still, I like the bigger picture of EU3 - it's entirely possible to play it almost without conflict if you want to, whereas HoI3 is basically a war simulator. Again - totally depends on your priorities.
    Yeah this, basically. Though a word of warning: the Heir To The Throne expansion for the base EU Complete (non Divine Wind) game, is pretty essential and frustratingly STILL isn't available on Steam for Mac. You're better off getting the Mac version from Gamersgate if you really want that, though they only sell the Mac & Windows versions separately. Go figure.

If you want to try a Hearts of Iron game then Darkest Hour is great and is easier to engage with (I'm told) than HoI III. Opinions differ in the fanbase on whether Darkest Hour (high res map screen options, only a couple of campaigns out of the box but full & easy mod support with additional fan campaigns) or Arsenal Of Democracy (older graphics, all the base HoI2 campaign options & slightly different mechanic) is the definitive HoI experience, I've only tried the former but I'm sure someone here will have a view. For the money you can't go wrong with either if you want to have a dabble to see if HoI floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel J View Post
    Yeah this, basically. Though a word of warning: the Heir To The Throne expansion for the base EU Complete (non Divine Wind) game, is pretty essential and frustratingly STILL isn't available on Steam for Mac. You're better off getting the Mac version from Gamersgate if you really want that, though they only sell the Mac & Windows versions separately. Go figure.
    What's so special about the Heir to the Throne expansion? I'm really only considering buying any of these because of the steam sale. Sounds like EU3 Complete is gonna be my best bet though. Thanks for all the replies!

Each expansion has introduced new features and balance tweaks. I'm not sure listing them would mean much to someone who hasn't played the game, but the expansions rework fundamental parts of the game rather than adding bits on to the end. You don't have to get them, but you won't be playing the best version of the game without them.

But as someone who's only buying this cause its cheap and wants to try it out, and also really only has access to a mac, EU3 complete is gonna be good enough? If I like it, perhaps when/if they port the other expansions to OS X I'll buy them.
    Mac user. Yeah, I know.

Yes, it's still an excellent game.