Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    Would anyone here not get lazy after becoming a millionaire over the course of a few months? I'd be far to busy enjoying myself to do any sort of coding to be honest. Were I in his position I doubt I'd have finished the game at all.
    Yeah, but that's really no excuse. Especially since he's just hired a guy who seems to be equally slacking off.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Hell, they were doing rideable horses WITH GENETICS before Notch released the shitty wolves. That should tell you how incompetent Notch is.
    Fairly certain that Notch is just one guy who has a massive game to code, a game all those modder teams could not have done (because they would have done it). Having a small team work on improving a tiny aspect of a game... off-course it will be better then the work of one man who has a massive project on his hands! A jack-of-all-trades will never be the master of any, but that is not due to incompetence.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    I got more hours of enjoyment from the Minecraft alpha than I do from the vast majority of "finished" games. It was a fantastic game (excluding the buggy multiplayer) more than a year ago, and it's only become better since.

If you didn't love the alpha, you were never going to love Minecraft.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    Fairly certain that Notch is just one guy who has a massive game to code, a game all those modder teams could not have done (because they would have done it). Having a small team work on improving a tiny aspect of a game... off-course it will be better then the work of one man who has a massive project on his hands! A jack-of-all-trades will never be the master of any, but that is not due to incompetence.
    I'm talking about Mo' Creatures when I talk about those horses. It's a single guy doing a metric shit tonne of creatures.

(Also, Notch has employees that actually code the game, nowadays. He is no longer a "single guy".)

Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    But that's not what anyone has issue with. What people have issue with is the fact that Notch is using it as a free ride AFTER making everyone pay. If he released a game that wasn't to people's tastes, that'd be fine. The issue is that he's fucking LAZY.
    Then again, that's his right. He is not your employee, you only bought a game in development from him. You have no guarantee on the content, what he wants to do with it, or anything. And you shouldn't expect any.
    He can say that he wants to do something with it, and even not do it, because that remains his game.

Making that kind of claims, or insulting his way of working is as silly as the self-entitled jerks who brought minecraft.net down last year to complain that updates were not coming fast enough.

I can agree to be disappointed by the final state of the game, but that's the risk we all took by buying an unfinished game.
    But you have no right to claim that he is lazy and that he doesn't do what you expect. That's just out of the line.
    Last edited by Gnoupi; 23-11-2011 at 04:49 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    I got more hours of enjoyment from the Minecraft alpha than I do from the vast majority of "finished" games. It was a fantastic game (excluding the buggy multiplayer) more than a year ago, and it's only become better since.

If you didn't love the alpha, you were never going to love Minecraft.
    This. Has it become the game I hoped it might turn into? No. Have I long since gotten my money's worth out of it anyway? Absolutely.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoupi View Post
    But you have no right to claim that he is lazy and that he doesn't do what you expect. That's just out of the line.
    Yes, how dare I, a paying customer, complain about a product I paid for not being up to scratch! HOW DARE I!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yes, how dare I, a paying customer, complain about a product I paid for not being up to scratch! HOW DARE I!
    He's provided you with Minecraft, which would pretty much seem to be what you paid for. If you didn't happen to like Minecraft, that's your problem - ask for a refund. I highly doubt that claiming he didn't add in every feature he mentioned on twitter/his blog/in interviews as mis-selling his product would hold up if you tried to take it much further than asking for a refund, though.

Edit: Also, why should your view of what the game ought to be have any more important than what Notch wants, what the dev team wants, or the rest of the customers? Why is it his fault if he didn't tailor the game exactly to your desires? There's more than enough mods out there, and if even they fall short of your standards, you can go and make your own.
    Last edited by Danny252; 23-11-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny252 View Post
    He's provided you with Minecraft, which would pretty much seem to be what you paid for. If you didn't happen to like Minecraft, that's your problem - ask for a refund. I highly doubt that claiming he didn't add in every feature he mentioned on twitter/his blog/in interviews as mis-selling his product would hold up if you tried to take it much further than asking for a refund, though.
    By the way, I'm selling a game called Perfect Sandbox Game. It'll be the perfect sandbox game.

Send 29.99 to my Paypal to get immediate access to the alpha.

By the way, I'm selling a game called Perfect Sandbox Game. It'll be the perfect sandbox game.

Send 29.99 to my Paypal to get immediate access to the alpha.
    Drop the price by 2/3rds, stick an early playable version on your website that runs in a browser, and get some good RPS write-up, and we'll strongly consider it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Taidan View Post
    Drop the price by 2/3rds, stick an early playable version on your website that runs in a browser, and get some good RPS write-up, and we'll strongly consider it.
    Okay, now you've accepted my purchase, here's the rules of the game:
    1. Get sand.
    2. Get a stick.
    3. Play with sand and stick.

SORRY CAN'T MAKE ANY MORE GONE BANKRUPT.

Quote Originally Posted by Taidan View Post
    This.

When you buy a game in alpha, you buy it in alpha. It's not feature complete, and it might never be.
    Personally, I like alpha funding, as soon as the alpha version gives me enough fun for the money.

So please, show us a fun prototype to play with, and I'll gladly support you.

Joke aside, we got your point, you think you were entitled to a much bigger game than it became, you are disappointed, and you blame the developer for it. No need to spread it every two posts, it's quite clear.
    I don't agree with this point of view, for the reasons I said earlier. Now let's just agree to disagree.

I'm talking about Mo' Creatures when I talk about those horses. It's a single guy doing a metric shit tonne of creatures.

(Also, Notch has employees that actually code the game, nowadays. He is no longer a "single guy".)
    But still that is only creatures, which is a relatively small aspect, and would not have been possible without the Minecraft engine. Off-course MMM makes Oblivion and FO3 much better, but its awesomeness would never been there if not for Bethesda's hard work (to take another example).

Not sure what exactly your problem is anyway. You bought the alpha version of minecraft, and paid the price worthy of the state it was in then. You get free updates for it (which I would now have to pay for). I don't really see your problem. I don't think you should look a gifted herd of horses in their mouths.

Banned
    Weird, it looks like Notch might've done this "early release" to secure a place on Steam.

"Top Notch Hat"

Weird, it looks like Notch might've done this "early release" to secure a place on Steam.

"Top Notch Hat"
    Whilst saying that he wouldn't go on steam because of Valve's policies?

"Top Notch Hat"
    Or, you could read the article...

But I have some sad news. The mask is a one of a kind exclusive to be given to Notch. That's right, you see this mask and you are actually playing with Notch, one of the biggest developers in the gaming world right now.
    And from the source of that article, the TF2 Wiki article on the item. the item's description...

Welcome to a secret society so exclusive it makes the Illuminati look like a Costco. How exclusive? You are the only member. This is the only item of its kind in all of existence. So don't craft it, Miney.
    Sounds like Valve are having a joke with Notch.
    Last edited by Unaco; 24-11-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Or, you could read the article...

And from the source of that article, the TF2 Wiki article on the item. the item's description...

Sounds like Valve are having a joke with Notch.
    Which sounds rather odd.

Which sounds rather odd.
    It's a TF2 Hat. You expect it not to be odd?
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.