Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Forget Minecraft.

When the fuck is Tetris going to be finished?
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Final releases are like orgasms - some are OK, others are earth-shattering, but they could always be BETTER.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Forget Minecraft.

When the fuck is Tetris going to be finished?
    Fuck you.
    Tetris is fine as it is, I hate you and your kind, demanding more just for the sake of more.
    Huh? What do you want, a ten long line piece to get instant points? Not gonna happen, coz Alexei Paschitnow has a clear design plan, every block is made of four blocks, just perfect.
    I don't expect you to understand this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I can't believe the sense of entitlement R-F is effusing here. It's not like Minecraft is in an incomplete state; it's a finely polished game that has received more content since its inception two years ago than almost any other game. The design principle that drives Dwarf Fortress (content and complexity over all else) renders it an exceedingly poor point of comparison to other games. Dwarf Fortress is legendary for it. Regardless of what Notch has "promised," as if any development update has ever been an indication of what you'll actually get, Minecraft is a limitless and massive game and everything to come is just icing on the cake.

If I ever had customers that behaved the way you do, I wonder why I'd bother at all. You're acting like a child that didn't get all the toys he wanted at the store.
    Yes, because how dare I expect what I was promised when I purchased the game! *shakes his fist at the sky* I should just bend over and take it like a good boy because it's not like I invested my money in the game.

Also, I think we should have a law that whenever someone uses the phrase "sense of entitlement" in relation to video games, they should be shot. They should probably also lose the argument, but mainly be shot.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    If I ever had customers that behaved the way you do, I wonder why I'd bother at all.
    Because you're doing what you want, because a certain percentage of people really get it and love what you do.

Besides old cliches about the impossibility of pleasing everyone, you really have to treat random internet whining as background noise these days. There's no other way to survive as a creator with a large audience. Let people whom you respect bubble up the odd bit of useful criticism, but ignore the rest.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    It's not like Minecraft is in an incomplete state; it's a finely polished game...
    Thing is, it's not really all that polished. Minecraft has just suffered from feature creep with half-explored concepts. The entire experience-enchanting thing seems pretty ridiculous, the "deep" combat mechanics were just the addition of some power attacks, and really The End is just an inverted Nether with... well, nothing really. Just a single end boss. And SMP is still not on par with SP, and there's still a massive backlog of bugs. Minecraft just received an entirely arbitrary 1.0.0 release. Which is fine, but it's still not polished, and given that some of these bugs have been present for a while, it's pretty ridiculous that they haven't been fixed.

Minecraft is a limitless and massive game and everything to come is just icing on the cake.
    Minecraft will probably see expansion but it's likely to come at cost now that the game has been deemed "finished". Which I really don't care too much about because everyone who bought it should have known that we didn't really know what it was going to become. Still I think the modding community has done a much better job at adding in content.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It's a really odd situation.

Seems like Notch had a plan for Minecraft that involved making it into a proper RPG-ish explore-em-up, but then the internet got hold of the game and that really wasn't what they were interested in.

I feel a bit bad for people that bought it on the promise of having 'game' added to it, but come on, that's a tiny number of people. Most people bought it for the crazy construction kit it is. And it must be fairly disheartening to sell millions of copies then release a new update adding RPG-y stuff only to have most of those millions not care. I can see why he basically 'gave up' on it and it makes sense in context.

Actually the major drawcard seems to be the Survival mode, which is what most people wanted to be expanded. Instead we have a bunch of largely toothless mobs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Thing is, it's not really all that polished. Minecraft has just suffered from feature creep with half-explored concepts. The entire experience-enchanting thing seems pretty ridiculous, the "deep" combat mechanics were just the addition of some power attacks, and really The End is just an inverted Nether with... well, nothing really. Just a single end boss. And SMP is still not on par with SP, and there's still a massive backlog of bugs. Minecraft just received an entirely arbitrary 1.0.0 release. Which is fine, but it's still not polished, and given that some of these bugs have been present for a while, it's pretty ridiculous that they haven't been fixed.
    Yeah, pretty much this. Half-arsed features does not a good game make.

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    It's a really odd situation.

Seems like Notch had a plan for Minecraft that involved making it into a proper RPG-ish explore-em-up, but then the internet got hold of the game and that really wasn't what they were interested in.

I feel a bit bad for people that bought it on the promise of having 'game' added to it, but come on, that's a tiny number of people. Most people bought it for the crazy construction kit it is. And it must be fairly disheartening to sell millions of copies then release a new update adding RPG-y stuff only to have most of those millions not care. I can see why he basically 'gave up' on it and it makes sense in context.
    That wouldn't be an issue if he'd actually FINISH anything that he's started on.

Instead, he does one thing then halfway through... Goes and does another. Like any person who has no idea what he's doing and he's just got a pocket full of money.

It makes me think, how much better would Minecraft be if Notch wasn't super rich?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Do you want everyone who calls you out for your attitude to be shot? Or just that one particular area? I think that people who use genocide as a means to relate their views should be shot.

Wait.

Banned
    Do you want everyone who calls you out for your attitude to be shot? Or just that one particular area? I think that people who use genocide as a means to relate their views should be shot.

Wait.
    No, just people who fail at using the term "sense of entitlement", which has reached the same level of non-meaning as "ad hominem". Certain kinds of people (mainly on the WoW forums) overusing it CONSTANTLY.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I suppose I'm probably not as versed in internet pissing matches as you. I'd take your word for it if it didn't so aptly describe your sense of entitlement towards another human being's free time and creative process.

Banned
    I suppose I'm probably not as versed in internet pissing matches as you. I'd take your word for it if it didn't so aptly describe your sense of entitlement towards another human being's free time and creative process.
    Yes. It's not like I, and millions of other people, paid for that free time and creative process.

Shit, no, I'm just taking a dump all over someone who's doing it out of the goodness of his heart.

People have to get used finally to the fact that buying a game in "alpha" is what it is. You have no guarantee whatsoever that the "final game" will be coming some day, or that it will meet your expectations.

All what you did is buy a game in alpha. You should do it if you actually have fun with the alpha version, without expecting more.

I made that mistake several times earlier (Elemental, Achron, Cortex Command, etc.). Paying for an unfinished game, with the vague promise it will get better, is just that, a promise. You should probably put that kind of money only on games which are actually fun to you in their current state, without buying something which doesn't exist yet.

Now on Minecraft, it's obvious that it's just a toybox, with things randomly added. The code is probably a spaghetti monster for a long while already. And that's all. It's a fun toybox, but it lacks actual purpose for a lot of players, including myself. And it will for sure remain that way.

I had hope that Terraria would influence them, and it obviously did, from what they said. But they can't really operate easily in the current code, it's obvious.

Compare with the oncoming patch for Terraria, which adds countless new items and enemies. It's because they designed it this way to begin with. And probably because it's easier in 2D, I guess.
    But we will never see that kind of content for Minecraft, it's just the way it is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Anyone moaning about this bothered asking for a refund by the way? Just wondering, because if you're unhappy with the now final product, that to me would seem to be the first port of call? I'm not saying you'll get one, nor that you're entitled to one necessarily, but to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if you got one. Given what it'd cost Mojang for the few hundred people that bothered.

Im not too bothered about the state of content in minecraft, though it would be nice to see more actual mechanics, like improved villages and things. However, I do have a problem with performance. Its the first time that a game has actually managed to repeatedly and constantly shut down my computer. No other game does that.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by GraveyardJimmy View Post
    Im not too bothered about the state of content in minecraft, though it would be nice to see more actual mechanics, like improved villages and things. However, I do have a problem with performance. Its the first time that a game has actually managed to repeatedly and constantly shut down my computer. No other game does that.
    The recent releases have been pretty stable for me, actually. The one thing I have found to improve performance is deleting Minecraft's default sound drivers (/.minecraft/bin/natives/OpenAL---.dll), which are rather out of date, forcing it to use your system's. Obviously, you need OpenAL installed separately to do that, but the other bonus is that you get proper 3D sound. Got rid of the horrible lag rain was giving me, as well as sound clipping.

As for the current state of minecraft, I recently got back into it having last been around 1.6/1.7ish. The work put into the map generation since then has amazed me - it's really quite beautiful now, and exploring really is quite fun.

I like Minecraft, don't get me wrong, because I like the sandbox building aspect. Which is why I like how they added Creative mode. But Survival mode never really advanced beyond the initial stages, everything else has sort of just been tacked on without addressing the core problem: the hostile mobs are practically toothless after you get a sword, so long as you remain observant and don't allow yourself to get too badly outnumbered. And the risk decreases with each additional weapon tier you climb up.

To survive your first night, you build a wall and put torches around it. And nothing can touch you! A lot of us were hoping that there'd be an improvement in this sort of thing so that mobs weren't absolutely incapacitated by a simple wall. When they added in Creative Mode to separate survival from creation, I think a lot of people assumed it'd pave the way for more destructive mobs (especially with the default Endermen behaviour of moving blocks) but that never happened.

But I'm not complaining too much. I paid bugger all for it and have gotten probably over a hundred hours of gameplay out of it, so as far as I'm concerned it was a good purchase. I just wish they'd taken a page out of Terraria's book, instead of a few words.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnoupi View Post
    People have to get used finally to the fact that buying a game in "alpha" is what it is. You have no guarantee whatsoever that the "final game" will be coming some day, or that it will meet your expectations.
    But that's not what anyone has issue with. What people have issue with is the fact that Notch is using it as a free ride AFTER making everyone pay. If he released a game that wasn't to people's tastes, that'd be fine. The issue is that he's fucking LAZY.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoupi View Post
    I had hope that Terraria would influence them, and it obviously did, from what they said. But they can't really operate easily in the current code, it's obvious.

Compare with the oncoming patch for Terraria, which adds countless new items and enemies. It's because they designed it this way to begin with. And probably because it's easier in 2D, I guess.
    But we will never see that kind of content for Minecraft, it's just the way it is.
    Except, y'know, in mods. Here's the issue. Modders have to deal with Notch's downright terrible coding, have to deal with compatibility with other mods, have to deal with every issue under the sun, and they still manage to release mods far, far better than anything Notch has done.

Hell, they were doing rideable horses WITH GENETICS before Notch released the shitty wolves. That should tell you how incompetent Notch is.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I like Minecraft, don't get me wrong, because I like the sandbox building aspect. Which is why I like how they added Creative mode. But Survival mode never really advanced beyond the initial stages, everything else has sort of just been tacked on without addressing the core problem: the hostile mobs are practically toothless after you get a sword, so long as you remain observant and don't allow yourself to get too badly outnumbered. And the risk decreases with each additional weapon tier you climb up.

To survive your first night, you build a wall and put torches around it. And nothing can touch you! A lot of us were hoping that there'd be an improvement in this sort of thing so that mobs weren't absolutely incapacitated by a simple wall. When they added in Creative Mode to separate survival from creation, I think a lot of people assumed it'd pave the way for more destructive mobs (especially with the default Endermen behaviour of moving blocks) but that never happened.

But I'm not complaining too much. I paid bugger all for it and have gotten probably over a hundred hours of gameplay out of it, so as far as I'm concerned it was a good purchase. I just wish they'd taken a page out of Terraria's book, instead of a few words.
    It's funny, because the behaviours are already there, even in the base game (in mobs that AREN'T in the base game, but are in the files). It's just Notch is too lazy to balance them at all.

Oh, well, just use mods, I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by R-F View Post
    But that's not what anyone has issue with. What people have issue with is the fact that Notch is using it as a free ride AFTER making everyone pay. If he released a game that wasn't to people's tastes, that'd be fine. The issue is that he's fucking LAZY.
    Would anyone here not get lazy after becoming a millionaire over the course of a few months? I'd be far to busy enjoying myself to do any sort of coding to be honest. Were I in his position I doubt I'd have finished the game at all.