Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar

Guild Wars 2 10 Moneys on Saturday! Thoughts?

So I was cheating on RPS and browsing /r/games when I came across the news that ArenaNet were slashing the price of GW2 on saturday to 10 dollars/euros/pounds (It seems thats the way they convert).

I have a small interest in the game, and I suppose at that price, im probably going to buy it.

But it is of the MMO genre, and that comes with many bad things (in my opinion) first and foremost being the combat.

Now I know they do skills a little differently in GW2, but I would love to know some more stuff about the combat.
    Is it more MMO or ARPG (Wow or Diablo, basically)? Does it actually feel impactful and meaningful, or is it all floaty numbers (like in WoW), and is there more to it than just having a max damage rotation and constantly doing that over and over (the dreaded hotkey combat)?

I love things like not having the whole tank/healer/dps trinity that really sucks, if you ask me, just from the sheer lack of people who want to heal. Giving each class the tools it needs seem to be the way to go.

Those that have played it, what would you recommend about the game, and what would steer you away? What stopped you playing in the end, or do you still play it?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I'd absolutely buy it for $10, but 10 isn't very exciting when you know people in America are paying near half of that.
    10 US dollars = 6.6756 British pounds sterling
    According to Google.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    What about solo play?
    I don't mind people joining in on random fights like in The Secret World. I just don't like anything that involves planning and group play.

Also, I'm not going to bother with the end-game or whatever. I'd just like to explore, kill some stuff and level up along the way.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    Is it more MMO or ARPG (Wow or Diablo, basically)? Does it actually feel impactful and meaningful, or is it all floaty numbers (like in WoW), and is there more to it than just having a max damage rotation and constantly doing that over and over (the dreaded hotkey combat)?
    It's more ARPG. It's still MMO, there are lots of skills, builds, synergies within stats and an action bar. But actually playing it feels more hack n slash, judging the right moment to use the right skill, dodging, rather than a simple rotation spam.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    Those that have played it, what would you recommend about the game, and what would steer you away? What stopped you playing in the end, or do you still play it?
    Haven't played in a while but I did get two characters to max level, with full exotic sets of armour and weapons which required some entry level grindyness, plus two more alts around 30-40. So it's not that the game got old quickly or anything, I've just played it on and off then moved on (cheers, sensible payment model!).

Things that recommend GW2: the world, the combat, the storyline, the underlying mechanics that provide huge, seamless group content in the open world, matching you with people from every server in order to make the world constantly alive. Talking of story, the Sylvari are fantastic and the Sylvari female main character is voiced by Jennifer Hale aka femshep, so there's that. I would only warn you away from GW2 if you have a real aversion to flashy spell effects or something, if you hate anything slightly lighthearted (such as possibly the cutest fantasy race since the Moomins, or talking-fairy-plant-people, or illusionists that explode into butterflies when you attack them). If you think you can handle that then it's bloody brilliant and a steal at 10!

Of course, I haven't played it in a while. Some of the Rock, Paper, Signet crowd might be better to fill you in, especially on the big events like server-size bosses and the hugely chaotic ridiculous zerg blob battle aka world vs world PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    What about solo play?
    I don't mind people joining in on random fights like in The Secret World. I just don't like anything that involves planning and group play.

Also, I'm not going to bother with the end-game or whatever. I'd just like to explore, kill some stuff and level up along the way.
    Solo is great, solo levelling is the most enjoyable part of GW2 for me. There are a couple of things that make group play a bit different than what you might expect. Firstly the whole megaserver thing means that you are put in a zone with people around your level or whatever, so there are always others adventuring in the same area as you. And secondly there are dynamic events that form a big part of every zone. These events pop up and scale to the number of players involved, as you complete (or fail to complete) them they lead to other events, eventually culminating in big boss battles and such. So unusually levelling solo and just killing monsters actually involves a lot of group play and big bosses as well. And it works fantastically well, with no need to invite people to form a group or anything.
    Last edited by Rizlar; 23-01-2015 at 01:00 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Speaking as someone who doesn't have a character higher than... early 30s, I think, it's still worth it. 10 monies are worth it just to explore that world some. It's a looker, that game.

I like the game well enough, but it never really got its hooks in me. I really appreciated its approach to questing and impromptu grouping, though.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    I got about 300 hours out of it and then moved on because I just felt like I was done. I still go back once in a while... but for 10$, yeah, it's totally worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    I'd absolutely buy it for $10, but 10 isn't very exciting when you know people in America are paying near half of that.
    10 US dollars = 6.6756 British pounds sterling
    According to Google.
    You guys gotta stop doing these straight conversions. British tax includes VAT, American doesn't.

So in Seattle, for instance, the price would be $10.95, which equals 7.29 pounds. That's a 9.5% sales tax, which is one of the highest in the USA.

But you know, you guys get thing for that 20% tax. Like, say, health care. So you can't just straight compare cost of goods, because Americans have cheaper goods but have to "pay more" for all sorts of other things (again, health care being the big one).

If we stripped the tax away for a fairer comparison, it would be $10 US or 8 pounds UK. Not an enormous difference.

$10 is a no-brainer.

With the exception of the final dungeon that caps off the retail storyline, the entire game can be played solo. You'll fall into open world events with other players. The final dungeon isn't monstrously complex and doesn't require raid-level coordination. It's PUG play.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    So it's $10 now, it's been out for coming up on 3 years, and there are still no expansions. Shall I take that as an indication that despite the critical acclaim it was a commercial failure?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    So it's $10 now, it's been out for coming up on 3 years, and there are still no expansions. Shall I take that as an indication that despite the critical acclaim it was a commercial failure?
    It was most certainly not a commercial failure and they're going to announce what is speculated to be an expansion (Heart of Thorns) tomorrow at PAX.

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    It was most certainly not a commercial failure and they're going to announce what is speculated to be an expansion (Heart of Thorns) tomorrow at PAX.
    OK then, but I do wonder what caused the delay in that case. By this point in GW1's lifecycle they'd already released 3 expansions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    OK then, but I do wonder what caused the delay in that case. By this point in GW1's lifecycle they'd already released 3 expansions.
    I haven't played for a long while, but what they did for the first year or so at least was release a constant stream of story updates which added up to loads of content, however that content was not permanent and generally got replaced by the next update in the story cycle. I didn't like it very much since the story is mostly inane schlock, but they did build an awful lot of content very quickly.

Dunno what they've been doing since I put the game down though. I bounced off the end game pretty hard as it went from very free form play to a lot of grindy stuff, but I definitely don't regret my time with it.

For 10 europoundbucks I'd say it's definitely worth it just to run around the game world, see the events (events are a major game mechanic and there's an obscene number of them you come across as you explore the world) and play your personal story. It's one of the finest exploration experiences I've had in recent years and I spent days figuring out how to break the maps and get places I wasn't supposed to (partially documented here).

And if you do take the plunge check out the RPS guild. No idea what's happening there these days but that was a splendid bunch of people to play the game with. :)

Network Hub
    To venture a guess: the increased revenue from the shop combined with an increased/more complex development cycle (GW1 had simpler structured maps and likely less VO/art content creation required) and the other random content updates they've done since release (IIRC, GW1 only had the holiday events).

Shit, does this mean I'll have to play my first MMO (Elite doesn't count)?

Quote Originally Posted by pmh View Post
    To venture a guess: the increased revenue from the shop combined with an increased/more complex development cycle (GW1 had simpler structured maps and likely less VO/art content creation required) and the other random content updates they've done since release (IIRC, GW1 only had the holiday events).
    Ah, wasn't aware of the shop. What's it sell?

The story is largely forgettable, but I did have a good amount of fun with GW2, both solo and with friends. I've played for about 90 hours and have only one character at max level (a Norn necromancer). The game is really pretty at times, and the world is fun to explore. The combat/skill system works well too: you don't have ten hotbars full of skills, but just a few skills that change depending on the weapons you've got equipped. At this price, it's well worth getting in my opinion.
    Want to add me on Steam? Steam name: Mr. Gert

Guild Wars 2 characters: Norgothus (Norn Necromancer), Maggrivo (Charr Warrior)

Quote Originally Posted by Fumarole View Post
    Never go full Wulf.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Skalpadda's Avatar
    Ah, wasn't aware of the shop. What's it sell?
    Unless things have changed: cosmetic items (skins, dyes, toys etc.) and short time "boosts" (XP, swim speed, magic find) as well as some quality-of-life stuff like remote bank access, portable merchant and things like that. Nothing that's necessary or gives any combat advantage and the only thing I felt like I had to buy to enjoy the game was some additional bag space.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Malawi Frontier Guard's Avatar
    The game also sells gold, but it's not as big of a deal as it may seem. Getting full exotic-quality armor is relatively cheap and the highest tier of gear only gives a marginal increase in stats so it's not really worth it for most people. I don't want to say most, but a lot of gold is spent on both the cosmetics that are released regularily and legendary weapons, which go for serious cash for what is basically just a flashy set of effects.

Lesser Hivemind Node DevinSmoth's Avatar
    And on top of all of that... everything purchaseable in the cash shop is completely obtainable in the game (save for some of the cosmetic items, perhaps, but still you can farm up the gold and buy anything in the cash shop with in game monies). So it doesn't feel like to pay2win. You could pay to level faster... if you threw enough money at the game, you could potentially buy max level characters with a small time investment (buying gold to buy crafting mats to craft your way to max level), but who cares, really?

And as far as PvP goes, there's no way to get more power than everyone else has there. It's all standardized stats-wise to level 80, so you really have to rely on your skill (if you have any, which would be saying more than I have).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Similar's Avatar
    hrmm. Maybe I'll have to get it too. Don't know if it'd grab me, but I had a partner who played it and I liked what I saw of it (especially the Asura(? the little ones)).
    Never played any MMOs and don't really want to, but if you can play solo, it'd be fine, I think.