Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Network Hub

Recommend me an action game I'll enjoy...

Hi chaps,

So, I've been slowly discovering that apparently most of the "lauded" modern games that are out are also terribly unsuited to me. Or, at least, there's no simple way to predict which game I'll like from the history of reviews.

I enjoyed Super Meat Boy, Spelunky, Stealth Bastard and Gunpoint (in fact, I think Gunpoint and Spleunky are probably near the top of my recent games), so I thought I'd like Rogue Legacy and Shovel Knight, but both of the latter drive me to downheartened frustration with their economic punishment model for death (I'm simply not good enough to platform outside of the first ("Castle") area in Rogue Legacy for any length of time, so I am completely unable to get any further in the game, as I can't now earn enough money to get any upgrades, and can't defeat the Forest Boss at my current skill/upgrade level, for example, and I've just spent about an hour bouncing off of each of the 2nd stage zones in Shovel Knight). For some reason, dying lots in SMB, Stealth Bastard and Speunky feels less punitive and more something I can actually enjoy.

Similarly, despite suspecting I'd find the boss-fights too hard, I actually rather enjoyed playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution (although, yes, on Easy, and it is a heck of a lot easier than the original DX games, which I never beat without cheats). I did cheese the second-last boss fight though, by bringing a sentry gun with me... Dishonoured, on the other hand, I had to give up on halfway through the second-last mission - again, I'm simply not good enough at stealth or combat (and I'd rather not use combat, as the death sequences in Dishonoured are too brutal for it to feel like "winning") to get through the assassin-strewn approach to his area, especially after bleeding resources into the first part where you have to manage without your upgraded equipment, and it just became an exercise in frustration.

I really wish I was capable of playing action games better (there are many games which, on the basis of my past experience, I've simply not bought because I know I'd actually just find them horribly disheartening to actually try to play - I do watch more actiony games being played on YouTube than actually play games at the moment), but in the absence of the actual skill which I've tried to develop over years actually manifesting, I should probably stop wasting my time and money on games which are just going to make me feel sad rather than happy.

So: while I go back to playing CK2, can anyone recommend any actiony games that I actually might enjoy at the moment?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The Mass Effect games, in particular 2 and 3, are fun without being particularly hard.

A slightly older game if you enjoyed the stealth in Dishonoured but just found it hard might be Thief: Deadly Shadows, which in my opinion is the easiest of the Thief games. Maybe the modern Thief also, but I haven't played that yet.

Terraria was the game that helped me learn how to play similarly-controlled games.

The new Fallout games have the advantage of RNG-based aiming options to augment your aiming if aiming is troublesome.

Kingdoms of Amalalalalalur is a light and pretty action-RPG that's pretty slick to control most of the time.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Network Hub
    Have you tried

Assault Android Cactus

Renegade Ops

Broforce

Skydrift

Intrusion 2

Marlow Briggs

Sonic And All-Stars Racing Transformed

Mark of the Ninja

The Typing of the Dead - Overkill

Ikaruga

Really Big Sky

Super Time Force Ultra

Network Hub
    Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to respond a bit, and this shouldn't be taken as criticism, but attempting clarification.

I admit that I burned out on Mass Effect 1 (completionism plus trying to avoid the romance options with the game-assigned romancees whilst also not being a dick to them) before finishing it (I think I put it down during Virmire). Is it worth picking up ME2 without having actually finished 1?

I've not touched the Thief games since the one I tried (which I'm pretty sure was 1, but might have been 2; I gave it away in the end and I can't clearly remember) resulted in my freezing on the second level (some kind of warehouse complex?) out of fear of being seen by the guards. Is Deadly Shadows considerably less stealth-induced-terror inducing?

I did also try Fallout 3, but it seemed very hard indeed (or maybe I just picked the wrong starting perks). I should probably give it another look, but respec a bit? Or is New Vegas a better shot?

(I've seen Terraria: isn't it more of a multiplayer experience? I don't think I know anyone that I could persuade to play with me - a reason why I don't own Magicka yet as well.)

I shall look at Kingdoms of Amalur, which I admit I'd never really considered before. (I see it's on one of the daily deals today!)
    -

(I *did* try Broforce, and did enjoy it. Which does suggest that my issue with platformers is when they punish you for being bad at them by making it harder to get better...)
    I shall have to follow up on the rest - although, Ikaruga was one game I've been interested in for a while, but believed was supposed to be astonishingly hard... is it not as bad as all that?
    Last edited by aoanla; 29-12-2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: more games discussed.

What was it about DX:HR that you liked? Was that in spite of the combat?

If you enjoyed the world building and sci-fi feel then I would heartily recommend Alien: Isolation. This is my game of the year and I am surprised I enjoyed it enough to buy the DLC in the sales. I am a huge fan of the films, which the game captured perfectly, so take that with a pinch of salt.

If you enjoyed the combat,then you may like Rainbow Six: Vega but I felt you need to play it co-op to get a good experience.

Lastly, have you played Dragon Age 1 & 2? The former is fine to play on normal difficulty but still fun if you opt for easy. You can also adjust the difficulty as you play. The latter should always be played on easy. I have not played Inquisition because it looks a bit too long for what I am after at the moment but I am sure it is fine if you liked the others in the series.

hotline miami only requires you to learn throwing weapons to be a god, the biker boss is plain trial&error tho. You can hit him after he throws his knife.

Actually let's put fast things aside for a moment and look for slow things.
    Dark souls (uhm), dark messiah (kicks), any beu, half life games, maybe a castlevania, halo (pistol+cover+granade=god), any fear game (punch+crouch).:/
    Last edited by Wenz; 29-12-2014 at 03:01 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by aoanla View Post
    I admit that I burned out on Mass Effect 1 (completionism plus trying to avoid the romance options with the game-assigned romancees whilst also not being a dick to them) before finishing it (I think I put it down during Virmire). Is it worth picking up ME2 without having actually finished 1?
    I played ME2 first and found it fine. Indeed I recommend using the "default" galaxy-situation for new players in ME2 rather than trying to import your own. The default setup is much more miserable than what a sensible player will have chosen, and this turns out to work better.

I've not touched the Thief games since the one I tried (which I'm pretty sure was 1, but might have been 2; I gave it away in the end and I can't clearly remember) resulted in my freezing on the second level (some kind of warehouse complex?) out of fear of being seen by the guards. Is Deadly Shadows considerably less stealth-induced-terror inducing?
    I think the emotions are similar. The game is much easier, in my opinion, but if the earlier games were too stressful then Deadly Shadows probably won't be much better.

I did also try Fallout 3, but it seemed very hard indeed (or maybe I just picked the wrong starting perks). I should probably give it another look, but respec a bit? Or is New Vegas a better shot?
    I certainly wouldn't call New Vegas easier than Fallout 3, so perhaps this isn't worth pursuing.

(I've seen Terraria: isn't it more of a multiplayer experience? I don't think I know anyone that I could persuade to play with me - a reason why I don't own Magicka yet as well.)
    Terraria works fine single player, in my opinion.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Eight Rooks's Avatar
    I shall have to follow up on the rest - although, Ikaruga was one game I've been interested in for a while, but believed was supposed to be astonishingly hard... is it not as bad as all that?
    I would class it as very, very hard indeed if you're trying to play it "properly". If the PC port is the same as the consoles you can unlock large amounts of credits (possibly infinite, it's been a while and I don't have it on PC) and beat it that way, though.

Then again the mere fact anyone would suggest Alien: Isolation in response to a topic like this further convinces me an awful lot of people on the internet don't really understand what makes a game difficult, for all their good intentions.
    Smashwords (my stories) | Steam | Twitter | Wattpad (my stories)

Network Hub
    I avoided the combat in DX:HR as much as possible (hence my cheesing the Namir fight by taking a hacked turret along with me, as I'd never have won without it), and tried to keep to non-lethal stealth takedowns whenever possible.

I liked the worldbuilding, the attempts at having a plotline which actually responded to your choices as the original DX did, and the fact that it seemed designed to be a game you could "contest" in nonviolently (the dialogue "combat", especially with a CASIE, was a nice minigame).

I also dislike horror games (see above for my reaction to Thief), so I've been giving Alien: Isolation a pass. (I'd probably like to *watch* someone play it...)

I should probably give the Dragon Age games another look: I've been avoiding them because they seemed to be cursed with the Great Bioware Romancing Curse, as with the Mass Effect games, but if it's easy to avoid romance options without being a jerk to people, then I might take a look.

I should probably give the Dragon Age games another look: I've been avoiding them because they seemed to be cursed with the Great Bioware Romancing Curse, as with the Mass Effect games, but if it's easy to avoid romance options without being a jerk to people, then I might take a look.
    Not sure whether it'll suit your needs, but Inquisition does clearly label if an option is classed as romancing someone (the heart comes up on the conversation wheel). Hard to miss it. I don't think there's a way to be a jerk to anybody by not picking it (indeed, with some characters you're being a jerk to them by picking it, if they're not interested in sleeping with you) though I think you're closing yourself off from some of the content. It's still a huge game, mind you.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus rockman29's Avatar
    Mafia 2 sounds perfect for you. Just don't turn the driving to "sim". Keep it on "arcade".

I avoided the combat in DX:HR as much as possible (hence my cheesing the Namir fight by taking a hacked turret along with me, as I'd never have won without it), and tried to keep to non-lethal stealth takedowns whenever possible.

I liked the worldbuilding, the attempts at having a plotline which actually responded to your choices as the original DX did, and the fact that it seemed designed to be a game you could "contest" in nonviolently (the dialogue "combat", especially with a CASIE, was a nice minigame).

I also dislike horror games (see above for my reaction to Thief), so I've been giving Alien: Isolation a pass. (I'd probably like to *watch* someone play it...)

The intro cutscenes suggest things to beat bosses with: green shit to throw, breaking things and in Namir's case it's a contextual punch that pops up whenever he lands from jumping a wall.
    I'm not trying to show off but maybe you can beat them all the fast ways now.
    Last edited by Wenz; 29-12-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenz View Post
    The intro cutscenes suggest things to beat bosses with: green shit to throw, breaking thing
    s and in Namir's case it's a contextual punch that pops up whenever he lands from jumping a wall.
    I'm not trying to show off but maybe you can beat them all the fast ways now.
    Oh, I beat the first two bosses, eventually (actually, Yelena glitched into permanent stun during the battle I actually won against her, but I was using blowing up the electromagnets and the stungun to stun her... it just helped that her AI glitched at some point...), using the clues from the intro cutscenes. I couldn't manage Namir's though, after a lot of trying, so I went back to an earlier save and took the heavy firepower along with me to deal with him.

You know, those guys are so broken and spongy you shouldn't really feel guilty for cheating. And you are OP to everyone else. Better spending time scaring people opening every faucet and sending fridges in air. Or messing buildings in gunpoint with the app for asshole kids. We need more poltergeist simulators

Oh, one more tip about human revolution is shooting something explosive blind (without coming out of the cover).
    If it's remote explosives guards will jump to each other every time a blue bag pops up and you'll have enough time to punch them all. Never detonate remotes.
    Last edited by Wenz; 29-12-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Network Hub
    (I *did* try Broforce, and did enjoy it. Which does suggest that my issue with platformers is when they punish you for being bad at them by making it harder to get better...)
    If you like platformers, Mark of the Ninja is also really good, and I think it beats the crap out of just about all the recent 3d stealth games.

Intrusion 2 is like a kind of lightweight Metal Slug, but fun enough.

Assault Android Cactus and Renegade Ops are the two best twin stick shooters around IMO. AAC is craaazy if you have people for local multiplayer. You will not find a multi game of Renegade Ops any time soon, but it doesn't matter as much, because it's a fantastic single player game too. It's by the Just Cause 2 guys.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is pretty much the best thing going Mario Kart-wise on PC.

Skydrift is like Sonic & All-Stars meets Crimson Skies.

Marlo Briggs is like God of War meets the movie Black Dynamite.

Typing of the Dead Overkill is House of The Dead (you can use a mouse if you want) done like the movie Planet Terror.

Super Time Force Ultra is kinda Broforce-ish with more bullet hell to it, meets Braid.

Really Big Sky is a surprisingly competent modern day side scrolling shooter.

Ikaruga is ... slightly more forgiving on PC than I remember it on dreamcast.

Okay, in the category of action games that are not overly punishing to unskilled players I can recommend Bastion and Transistor (difficulty increases are optional), the Half-Life games, and Just Cause 2. Although those don't have a lot in common with your recent choices.

Among platformers you might like the Rayman games, Cave Story+ (though do read up on a guide) or Dust: An Elysian Tail, but just by virtue of being action platformers they can be pretty tough.

If you liked Gunpoint I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy Mark of the Ninja. One Finger Death Punch is the purest form of distilled action imaginable. If you want more roguelikes, I've been enjoying Crypt of the Necrodancer and Nuclear Throne... and Teleglitch, but Teleglitch is fucking hard. Roguelikes are hard by design of course, but it stands out. Necrodancer has some progression mechanics, the others don't.

Network Hub
    Hrm, of those, I tried Bastion, and that's why I haven't bought Transistor (despite it apparently being right up my street), as something about Bastion's isometric controls made me fall off edges a lot and run into people instead of away from them. (I love all of the Half-Life games, except the White Forest section of Episode 2, which can die in a fire for all I care.)
    I also almost completed Cave Story + (with guide, with a live Curly Brace, almost the Good ending) but couldn't beat the (almost final) Misery/Doctor sequence after spending more time on it than all of the other boss sequences combined. Liked it up to then, though.

And, yeah, I think I like Necrodancer... although apparently I have less rhythm than I think I do. I think, like Spelunky, it's one of those games I'm going to be content to never get to the last level on, though.

(Teleglitch is definitely really hard, and I did give up trying to get past the first level on the free demo, so I didn't really have much to do with it... )

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Grrrrr, 16 posts and no trace of Metal Gear Rising? I'm dissapointed (NANOMACHINES, ) son.

Intrusion 2 is like a kind of lightweight Metal Slug, but fun enough.
    No. I wouldn't compare Intrusion to Metal Slug. Metal Slug is crazy, fast paced, silly fun. Intrusion is quite opposite.
    Broforce is probably the only modern 2D sidescrolling shooter which can be compared to MS.

Network Hub
    I suspect this comes down to definitions of the term 'lightweight' because it certainly manages to steal about as much metal slug as can be stolen before a game is literally just metal slug.

Quote Originally Posted by GameCat View Post
    Grrrrr, 16 posts and no trace of Metal Gear Rising? I'm dissapointed (NANOMACHINES, ) son.
    Seriously, what is it with posts like this? If someone says they're finding the action games that everyone raves about too intimidating - too challenging, too difficult, and they put a game like Deus Ex: HR on easy, why, why, why would you recommend something like Revengeance, where a vital part of the game hinges on mastering a mechanic that can seem both stupidly obtuse and infuriatingly tough? (Not to mention the camera doing its level best to make things even worse.) Why? Are you basically sitting on the first level batting the chainsaw-dog thing around for the lulz and musing "Huh, I don't see what the fuss was about"? Revengeance is a great game, but a terrible, terrible suggestion here, and I just... gah. I seriously, seriously think great swathes of the internet have just lost the ability to judge how hard or how easy a game is at all, because I don't see any other explanation.