Lesser Hivemind Node icupnimpn2's Avatar

Cave Story? I'd pay $10 for that.

According to Joystiq, a visually and aurally enhanced Cave Story with some new content has arrived in the Mac app store, which will be followed by a Steam release.

The original game was freeware, so it is natural to question whether an enhanced version like this is really attractive. Desktop Dungeons has followed the same route, but there is a larger jump from the free to paid versions both in graphics and content.

Will you pay the $10?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I did enjoy Cave Story but not sure how replayable it is, now I've been through it a couple of times already.

There's also a XBLA enhanced remake of Spelunky in the works, which will hopefully come to the PC at some point too. That, I would certainly buy.

I enjoyed Cave Story and played about 50% before a hard drive crash took my progress. If I paid, I think I'd do it as more of a "thank you" or a support for the hours of fun and wonder. There are so many developers out there now looking for money up front to finance their projects. Here's one project that delivered on its promise up front. Isn't that worth rewarding?

Cave Story is a wonderful game-- I haven't played any of the recent re-releases, but $10 for an updated version seems perfectly reasonable to me.

If this had been promoted through Steam / RPS before I played through the original, then maybe. But after spending some time with the game and having finished it (rescued the girl) I don't think I would pay for it. Or want to play it again.

Well, can you rationalize paying as something similar to hitting the donate button on a web page? I've read people in these boards talking about how they've bought the same game several times to support a certain developer.

Is there value in paying for a game like this even if you don't expect to play it if doing so would help to support new games like this being released in the future? I wouldn't mind PC compatible Cave Story-type games switching from free to paid if it meant we'd get more of them.

To be honest: no. I am very content with paying for something somebody has worked for and really ok with that somebody expecting me to do so. But since this game was released as freeware I also expect the developer to have considered the consequences.

If the game would offer something that could spark my interest in owning / playing the overhauled, new version, I might consider buying it, paying for the new stuff. In this case, I'd rather wait and see how the next game made by this developer turns out and factor in the good experiences I had with the old game when deciding whether to buy it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    I wonder how much Spelunky XBLA (which I rather like sometimes, Shadow Complex was incredible) is going to cost... I didn't get much into the free one, but I'd try it again

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Looking at some of the screenshots for it I actually wouldn't mind paying for it having loved the game.

Network Hub
    Ten bucks? Never played the original despite hearing nothing but good things about it. Yeah, I might toss ten bucks their way.

I'd definitely buy this on Steam.
    Tho not half as fast as I'd but Iconoclasts, if it ever got that far.

Man, both those games were totally awesome. Shame only one made it this far. I heard about Iconoclasts after playing, loving and discussing with friends Cave Story.

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Not sure if I'd play it again, enjoyed it though... great music aswell :)

Nope, tried it and did not understand why everyone is praising it.
    Its ok but just a simple Platformer with shooting. A Dime a dozen.Sorry.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    Its more Metroid Platformer, and thats why it was so cool. A Metroid Game which is quite long and deep for free!

Having played maybe a bit less than an hour of this, it's really neat so far. Why did I miss it until now? Um, no excuse, I guess.

I think it's funny how what influences people see in a game vary so much between individuals. I've played Metroid and Castlevania, but so far (as I often do) I see mainly Zelda in this, with a healthy helping of Mario-style sidescrolling and platforming (not as maddening as I find Mario, thankfully). The bits where you're talking to villagers and wandering in and out of buildings are so Zelda-like to me, as is having to find even the basic gear after starting.

Thanks very much to Znea for the game!