Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

So I downloaded Daggerfall XL...

...And I couldn't get past the first rat. For real. I look straight at the little guy, the little squeaky fellow and I swing and swing my sword and I cannot hit him. I'm sorry. I felt the necessity to share this. Skyrim's dragon? Ain't no thang. Daggerfall rats, crazy hard.

Is anyone else starting Daggerfall XL?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'm extremely interested, but I got the sense from the RPS article that I'd be better off waiting for awhile. It's not remotely done, after all.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I can't comment on DaggerXL. Might be bugged. Might just be your shitty character.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Think yourself lucky. If it's the same as Daggerfall was, around that corner is an Imp you can only actually hurt if you took the ebony dagger during the start up options.

Lesser Hivemind Node agentorange's Avatar
    I got through the starting dungeon no problem, died maybe once to a bandit, and a few times to the final skeleton dude. You probably just fucked up in character creation.

Quote Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
    I got through the starting dungeon no problem, died maybe once to a bandit, and a few times to the final skeleton dude. You probably just fucked up in character creation.
    I love that I might have 'fucked up in character creation' so much that my character is unable to kill a rat.

Definitely going back with the same character. What a marvellous loser he is.

Quote Originally Posted by danimalkingdom View Post
    Definitely going back with the same character. What a marvellous loser he is.
    Can't really tell if you're joking...but, that's not a good idea. If your character is down in the shit abyss that early on, it's not gonna be much fun when you encounter bandits and skeletons. Just choose one of the pre-made characters if you're having so much trouble.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Sounds like, well, a bad game. What's the point of offering lots of player choice if, at the end of the day, the game is unplayable unless you stick to a narrow path of options.

We will see though. I will give it a try, and document my failures on my blog. I'll be needing a new game once I'm done with my FfH2 playthrough :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    Sounds like, well, a bad game. What's the point of offering lots of player choice if, at the end of the day, the game is unplayable unless you stick to a narrow path of options.
    Quite the opposite - to me, at least. It's a great game, because it allows you to tackle things in a way that will get you killed. Just like in real life. :D

There is a definite lack of hand-holding there, which I remember quite fondly. It's just a very different and unusual design-theory compared to today's gaming philosophy.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by riadsala View Post
    Think about it. If your character is shit at killing things then they are better at other things. Play to your advantages. Run away from enemies, slam doors shut in their faces, find alternate rooms and avoid unnecessary rooms. You can't expect to kill everyone at the start of the game with a fragile character. Just get out of the starting dungeon. That should be your first goal.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I was thinking of starting Daggerfall soon. (not the XL version as that's nowhere near finished is it?).

Sounds like I should read up a little before I start? Or maybe it isn't the game for me? I like discovering things. I dislike using maxmin builds as they're boring and reduce play choice to simply following a list of instructions.

Daggerfall punishes exploration. Especially in the first dungeon. Some rooms WILL kill you unless you made the "right" decisions during character generation, but ALL "death-trap" rooms can be avoided (if I remember correctly, the imp for example is in a room you do not have to pass).

I miss climbing and jumping and flight.

*sighs*
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.

Banned
    Wizardry said that Daggerfall is the best of the series. Is this game really better than Morrowind? I might give it a go but if the graphics are too horrible I might give it a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by hamster View Post
    Wizardry said that Daggerfall is the best of the series. Is this game really better than Morrowind? I might give it a go but if the graphics are too horrible I might give it a pass.
    The graphics aren't the problem, though they are very simple and uninteresting compared to the style of Morrowind; it's that everything in the game is randomized and procedurally generated, so unless you like seeing the same basic town structure over and over, and walking across seemingly endless expanses of empty terrain, and doing the same set of quests, you won't have much fun with it.

It's different from Morrowind. And for modern-day eyes, the graphic is pretty horrible, yeah.

Back then, it was the most atmospheric game I ever played. It was the first game that literally gave me the chills when first witnessing Daggerfall by night....

It also had the best procedurally generated dungeons ever. Yes, this includes rogue-likes. :)

Banned
    It's free now, right? Gonna check out some screenshots.

This explains a lot why the story in elder scrolls games are so horrid.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Well, I like exploring and discovering things myself. Reading solutions on a wiki (whether it's how to minmax a character build, what spells to use, etc) is defeating the point of playing the game. (Which is why I'm not going to win a game of Dom3 anytime soon!). But on the otherhand, I want to avoid creating a character so useless I can't do anything with him/her.

Banned
    Watched a Let's Play. Seemed pretty backwards in some ways.

Activated Node
    Daggerfall totally fails to excite me, don't get me wrong, I totally know why people like it but the idea of exploring a randomly generated world just seems totally flat. You're not really "exploring" just walking through randomly generated algorithms that fail to provide a sense of uniqueness or place. To be honest I've never much liked the dungeon crawling aspect of RPGs at all.