Obscure Node

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier won’t be coming to the PC

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ghost-...ing-to-the-pc/

Just came across this article today about GR not coming out for pc, but instead only the free to play online version. What do you guys think?

I had no interest in the game anyways, but it's actually kind of scary to think of the industry all heading this way for PC gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I think there hasn't been a proper Ghost Recon game since the original and its expansions, so this really just marks the final step in turning a brilliant series into a pile of mainstream crap.

Network Hub
    It's so we play Ghost Recon Online instead, and pad their wallets with microtransactions money

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Here are the highlights...

"“We’re adapting the offer to the PC market. I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60’s worth of super-Hollywood content. On PC, we’re adapting our model to the demand.”"

"When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind. We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.”

"Perhaps it will only take twelve guys three months to port the game to PC, it’s not a massive cost but it’s still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it’s not worth it.”

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post
    because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind.
    Yet another developer who believes because their god awful game didn't sell it must be piracy's fault and not because they made a shoddy job of porting it from a console...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    I need to disagree with this,both GRAW games on pc were quite good tactical squad games,unlike console versions.

Obscure Node
    Yea it's like a vicious cycle. They make a shoddy console port that doesnt sell very good, so they blame piracy, which then causes them to put even less effort into the next port which then gets pirated even more, and so on until they finally just release a F2P game and say problem solved.

If more devs have this mentality then it will truly be the downfall of PC gaming.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    The day Ubisoft's approach to the PC makes sense is the day that Bobby Kotick stops being a money-hungry twit.

i.e. Never.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    More like Ghost Recon: Invisible Soldier, amirite? Game looks terrible except for the Kinect weapons menu.

Banned
    Holy crap, man.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Well honestly this looks like those GRAW games from consoles,in which i am not not even little interested,to much arcadish.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by SephKing View Post
    Here are the highlights...

"“We’re adapting the offer to the PC market. I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60’s worth of super-Hollywood content. On PC, we’re adapting our model to the demand.”"

"When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Solider; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game. So we said okay, we have to change our mind. We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.”

"Perhaps it will only take twelve guys three months to port the game to PC, it’s not a massive cost but it’s still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it’s not worth it.”
    When I read this quote I looked at the article itself, thinking, "nah, there's no way they could have actually said that". Lo and behold, they did. It's like Ubisoft are self-aware at this point.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Fuck them, it was going to be half-arsed port anyway.

Remember when ports were something PC gamers decried rather than clamoured for?

Of everything that's objectionable about Ubisoft on the PC, choosing not to publish games unsuited to the platform there isn't one of them.

EDIT: What? Ghost Recon Online is exclusive to PC now? I thought it was scheduled for Wii U also? =/
    Last edited by Rii; 24-11-2011 at 01:57 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynameisaw View Post
    Yet another developer who believes because their god awful game didn't sell it must be piracy's fault and not because they made a shoddy job of porting it from a console...
    I think that is more or less what he said. If we port it without doing deep development (if we do a shoddy job of porting it) people will pirate it instead of buying it.

So we give PC games a game made for the PC instead.

I think there is actually some truth in there.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Wasn't the second game console only as well? After watching the latest trailer I don't think this is a big loss anyway.