Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    I have an Asus Xonar DG and the driver support is terrible - just a word of warning. Specifically, the card has trouble with any older titles that utilize EAX... Which turns out to be quite a few games.
    I don't think the card/drivers are necessarily to blame there, the problem is most likely because Windows Vista/7 no longer support hardware DirectSound acceleration, which will tends to cause problems with a lot of older games if you try to run them with hardware accelerated audio.

Obscure Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Bakke View Post
    I have ordered a pair of Siberia V2s. I managed to find them on Amazon for 35, woo, but they won't ship until Jan the 25th.
    How'd you manage that? Just looked, they're double the price! Even the used ones are 55!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistabashi View Post
    I don't think the card/drivers are necessarily to blame there, the problem is most likely because Windows Vista/7 no longer support hardware DirectSound acceleration, which will tends to cause problems with a lot of older games if you try to run them with hardware accelerated audio.
    The problem exists in XP as well; it is 100% driver-related and is well-documented.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistabashi View Post
    The audio architecture changed in Vista (and therefore Win7) so that audio issues usually can't crash the whole OS, which has the downside of not allowing direct hardware access with DirectSound, and we're moving onto OpenAL anyway so EAX is a relic of the past. Creative got around it by using ALchemy to emulate EAX.

That said, I remember from the time I had a Xonar that the drivers were always pretty crap.

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    I remember from the time I had a Xonar that the drivers were always pretty crap.
    As opposed to Creative. *snicker*

Thanks to this thread, I now have a Superlux HD681, which is a fantastic headphone. The sound is an astounding difference to my Siberia v2, although it's not quite as comfortable. I'm hoping this wears off over time though, as I currently can't wear it for very much longer than ~1 hour :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Labbes View Post
    Thanks to this thread, I now have a Superlux HD681, which is a fantastic headphone. The sound is an astounding difference to my Siberia v2, although it's not quite as comfortable. I'm hoping this wears off over time though, as I currently can't wear it for very much longer than ~1 hour :/
    Is it hurting your ears? Try to find and order "AKG k240 velour pads..." Just be warned that they may end up costing as much as the headphones themselves :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rii View Post
    As opposed to Creative. *snicker*
    Not sure why people still complain about Creative's drivers. A few years ago they had problems with 64 bit and Vista/7, but not now.

I'm necroing this thread to avoid creating a new one.
    I'm looking at buying a nice but somewhat cheap headset and looking at local retailers this one (Plantronics Gamecom 367) caught my eye. The weight is the only thing that doesn't convince me so I'd like to hear if any of you know about it. This other one (logitech H390) could be an option.
    Otherwise I'm thinking about getting some Phillips Shp2500 and be done with it.
    This stuff gets too expensive here and most of the models I've seen mentioned in some of the threads here are impossible to get so I'm seeing what I can get for a decent price here and could use some help.

Thanks

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    I used to be like you (except with much more fur, obv), and was looking for a headset in that range. However, one bloke recommended me the Sennheiser PC 310. It is slightly more expensive then the logitiech H390 you listed there, but the sound quality is awesome and the thing is very light weigth. Since I have never actually owned any headsets that fell within the price range you mentioned, that is all I can recommend.

Semi-related

Logitech is pretty much hit and miss in my experience. I bought the g330 last week and found out that is shipped in a broken state, googling it shows that it's not working for a lot of people. Be sure to inform yourself about their stuff before. Anyway, got a plantronics gamecom 780 instead, and it works pretty well.

Also I recommend not doing your research on the producers website itself. Look for reviews online and try to find samples of actual recording to judge sound quality (that's how I did it).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Grizzly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Not sure why people still complain about Creative's drivers. A few years ago they had problems with 64 bit and Vista/7, but not now.
    I still have them today :(. But yeah, Xonar drivers are not the best either, that is why one has stuff like those rather pretty UniXonar drivers.