Assassin's Creed: Revelations leaked 10 days before release

Discuss...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    [Inevitable post on "unbeatable" DRM]

inb4 debate on piracy
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Power to the pirates.

Anyhow, I like pirated games. I like buying games as well. Those two things work together, and are not black and white in any kind of way.
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Leaked on PC or Console?

The last couple of multiplatform leaks that I've heard about have all been console, which is interesting... How many people need to start pirating on the 360 before a publisher gives up on it?
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    The last couple of multiplatform leaks that I've heard about have all been console, which is interesting... How many people need to start pirating on the 360 before a publisher gives up on it?
    Remember that horrible DRM that bluescreened your computer or rendered it vulnerable to viruses?

Imagine if the publisher also owns your box, as in the case of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo? Who, then, do you complain to when you've just been bricked by remote?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    I wish Skidrow had called it the "Stanislas Mettra edition" in honor of his buttfuckery toward PC gamers. I'm planning on applying their crack toward the legit copy when it comes out anyway, but it's nice to see they have it well in hand.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The cynic in me wants to believe Ubi is doing it themselves, going "See! We told you it was a problem!" and then putting less effort into PC versions.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The JG Man View Post
    The cynic in me wants to believe Ubi is doing it themselves, going "See! We told you it was a problem!" and then putting less effort into PC versions.
    This, plus going back to full blown online-all-the-time DRM, or worse.

Not really suprising.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Imagine if the publisher also owns your box, as in the case of Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo? Who, then, do you complain to when you've just been bricked by remote?
    They don't need those sort of software solutions, because it's a closed platform. They just have to treat it as a loss and come up with new hardware or software solutions to try to improve the value of legit cases. Like mass xbox Live bannings. Or you could do what Sony did and remove functionality to protect your platform...

Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    They don't need those sort of software solutions, because it's a closed platform.
    That's kinda what I'm saying. If they're willing to put rootkits on regular desktops, they'll have no qualms with just flipping the switch on consoles.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    That's kinda what I'm saying. If they're willing to put rootkits on regular desktops, they'll have no qualms with just flipping the switch on consoles.
    Yeah, but the issue with the DRM problems was that it was penalising legitimate users. I don't think you can really complain too much if you deliberately circumvent hardware/software systems on a console and then have it bricked because you were trying to play a cracked game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hope so. Because PC gaming is tiny compared to consoles. When someone actually tries that is when their whole house of cards will come crashing down as people sit up and take notice.

Yeah, but the issue with the DRM problems was that it was penalising legitimate users.
    I think Ubisoft games are one of the best examples of cracked version having no problems while DRM version causes all sorts of annoying shit.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    This, plus going back to full blown online-all-the-time DRM, or worse.
    I don't think they have a personal interest in the super awful DRM, other than preventing exactly this kind of piracy.
    Not saying that it works, but "releasing it especially to justify the DRM" makes no sense whatsoever. From their side, the DRM is supposed to prevent exactly this. No point in investing money developing it if you are going to release the whole thing on pirated networks.

no, I think that is their way of creating a demo version. It did wonders for DXHR, why not AssCreed?
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I don't think you can really complain too much if you deliberately circumvent hardware/software systems on a console and then have it bricked because you were trying to play a cracked game.
    I think you can. You own that console. It's not yours-on-condition-you-use-it-right. It's yours.

If I use my truck to smuggle drugs, then yes, I should be punished - heck even have my driving license revoked. But should my truck also then be bricked and no longer start for me?

Ass Creed: So I remember a band, after hearing that some of their new album had leaked, pushing forward the release date because they didn't want fans to get an incomplete sense of what it was like.
    What's stopping Ubisoft from doing similar? Bring forward the release date, steal the pirates' thunder?
    I mean, brick & mortars won't like it, but Ubisoft's hand is kind of forced, damned if they do, damned if they don't, so...why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    What's stopping Ubisoft from doing similar? Bring forward the release date, steal the pirates' thunder?
    I mean, brick & mortars won't like it, but Ubisoft's hand is kind of forced, damned if they do, damned if they don't, so...why not?
    Like you say, brick&mortar won't like it. As well as the whole distribution system established. As well as the marketing campaign. You can't change the release date forward, just like this, for something that big, which involves so many external actors. Especially if it involves physical copies.
    Last edited by Gnoupi; 24-11-2011 at 10:08 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    So.. Hi pirates, is the game good? Also, did you like any of the other Ass Creed titles? Just to help calibration of my review-o-meter.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    So.. Hi pirates, is the game good? Also, did you like any of the other Ass Creed titles? Just to help calibration of my review-o-meter.
    A few reviews have been published already. General consensus seems to be "not good nor bad but more of the same."