Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Let's not forget that Playstation version of the game has been out already, why you all said that it was leaked? My friends are playing already.

Screw with UBI soft for the console time exclusivity policy. I celebrate for her loss.

more of the same sounds great to me!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfenswan View Post
    A few reviews have been published already. General consensus seems to be "not good nor bad but more of the same."
    Not a big fan of embargo lead reviews.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    I think you can. You own that console. It's not yours-on-condition-you-use-it-right. It's yours.

If I use my truck to smuggle drugs, then yes, I should be punished - heck even have my driving license revoked. But should my truck also then be bricked and no longer start for me?
    You own the console, yes, but if you're running unsigned code/performing hardware hacks the company don't really have any obligation to continue to support a product that you've modified outside their specifications, so they can freely ban you from XBL/PSN if they decide to do so, or brick the console because software ends up being incompatible with the hacks. They're only required to support their base configuration, if you deviate it's your problem.

The entire car thing doesn't really hold weight, the car is just peripherally related to the drug smuggling, you could have strapped them to your body and it wouldn't make a difference. Console piracy is enabled by software or hardware modification (more frequently the former for the most part, or at least custom firmware installs), so you're modifying the base product to circumvent specific security measures. Or for homebrew games, but that market isn't exactly huge compared to piracy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    more of the same sounds great to me!
    Ditto. This series is very solid as-is, IMO. I'm pretty content with "more of the same."

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Not a big fan of embargo lead reviews.
    If it helps, I have yet to play the game, but over on Something Awful there's a pretty big thread for this (console version) which I've been following as I play Brotherhood and the general consensus is that, although it is more of the same, a couple of the new features added in fall flat by virtue of not being very fun. The multiplayer is said to have been improved, though.

Network Hub
    They screwed the mouse movement again... for the third time

Which game did they do mouse right in, I pad it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Ditto. This series is very solid as-is, IMO. I'm pretty content with "more of the same."
    I knew somebody out there kept buying up the new Radiohead albums.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

I like the new radiohead style, but the best one to me is still the one with spinning plates and pyramid song.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Network Hub
    Which game did they do mouse right in, I pad it.
    The first one

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Power to the pirates.

Anyhow, I like pirated games. I like buying games as well. Those two things work together, and are not black and white in any kind of way.
    I like pirated games. I also like buying them. But which ones the best? FIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Fumarole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keep View Post
    If I use my truck to smuggle drugs, then yes, I should be punished - heck even have my driving license revoked. But should my truck also then be bricked and no longer start for me?
    That's essentially what happens when law enforcement agencies confiscate your truck then sell it at an auction.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousOrange View Post
    I like pirated games. I also like buying them. But which ones the best? FIIIIIIIIIIGHT!
    There is no best. I grew up with both. Both work at the same time.

There is a rule to using professional software: "if youve made more than ten times what you should pay for it, then you can safely buy it." I like this rule, and I adhere to it. Games are obviously different, but games are a personal thing anyhow, much less a work thing.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Times 10 sounds a little suspect. I can't think of anything else you'd use such a rule for.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Times 10 sounds a little suspect. I can't think of anything else you'd use such a rule for.
    I'm hard-pressed to count with all my fingers the individuals and institutions I know that actually paid full price for the Adobe suite.

Graphics artists are not exactly rolling in money, after all.
    Last edited by Nalano; 24-11-2011 at 11:11 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm hard-pressed to count with all my fingers the individuals and institutions I know that actually paid full price for the Adobe suite.

Graphics artists are not exactly rolling in money, after all.
    Video/Film software is even worse. There is another rule even: "Buy an old version of the software you use, but get the newer ones all the same."
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    You know, I want to point out that perpetuating this vicious cycle and justifying Ubi's anti-piracy tactics by pirating their games is a pretty damn awful defence, but fuck em. They have all but declared war on PC gamers. Run their sad company into the ground for all I care.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You know, I want to point out that perpetuating this vicious cycle and justifying Ubi's anti-piracy tactics by pirating their games is a pretty damn awful defence
    Maybe, but I'm always amused by people who get very up in arms about the DRM, then equally upset with the pirates. Because if Ubi launched a game with crazy DRM and everyone listened to these people, and didn't pirate it, what sort of message would that send? The DRM works! Use it on every game.

I ain't a fan of pirates but if they'd decided not to bother with AC2 you can bet this new one would have always-on DRM too.

Lesser Hivemind Node Juan Carlo's Avatar
    I don't even think publishers are aware how easy and widespread pirating on consoles is. For PS3 and Xbox360 all it takes is a minor hardware tweak that can be done with instructions from the internet. And in the case of the Wii, you don't even have to mess with hardware--all you need to do is find a way to crash the system and reboot it from scratch (the original Zelda disc works for this, I've heard, although maybe Nintendo has corrected the exploit since). After this, all console games can be downloaded and burned from torrent sites just like PC games--only worse, as unlike pirated PC games, multiplayer usually still works for pirated console games.

I know tons of people who pirate console games, yet all developers bitch about are PC gamers.
    Last edited by Juan Carlo; 25-11-2011 at 08:29 AM.