Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alright, whose arse should I kick?

So I just bought the Dragon Age: Origins : Ultimate Edition at the weekend from GamersGate. The first time I've bought anything from them in fact.

So after about 12 hours the download was complete and I eagerly installed it (which took about ninety minutes). Only to be greeted with the friendly message "AWC.dll is misconfigured. Please reinstall". So I did. It came up again. So I reinstalled it again. Then again. And again. Then after going online and reading a few dozen threads about this, none of which made the game functional, I discovered this is due to an invalid validation check. In short DRM done wrecked ma game. The best solution I heard was to register the game in Origin. Which is something I couldn't try as Origin just doesn't work on my computer.

The question is who should I yell at most? Gamersgate for a dodgy installation? EA for using a dodgy DRM tech? EAs tech people for a Client that won't run on my computer? A third party for their DRM?

Oh who am I kidding I'm gonna send words at them all.
    Last edited by Bhazor; 05-03-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Crack it man.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    I don't know if anybody's ever gone wrong by blaming EA.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Gamersgate support is generally very good, ask them for assistance and if it's in their power to fix this they will. EA probably deserves the brunt of your actual hostility, however.

Network Hub
    i am firmly for cracking it

crack it and eat the tasty nut inside of it
    a grumpy dude with a PHD in videogame debating

Well like I said I've never dealt with Gamers Gate so I don't know much of their reputation. But I have heard some good things. I'll try to use fewer cuss words in my email to them.

I don't like cracks. They've screwed withmy system files too many times for me to go in unprepared and honestly if I can't get it working I'll just go back and finish Arcanum instead (I mean that game has got to get better sooner or later).

Network Hub
    I've found Gamersgate to be pretty good tbh, in this case I'd say that as the DRM is game-breaking you should use a crack.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Just do the sensible thing and pirate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Just do the sensible thing and pirate it.
    Yeah actually. You already own the game. Also download all the DLC, fuck em.

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    It's funny 'cause the retail version of DA:O had only the very simplest of disc checks in an unencrypted EXE. A monkey could crack it. Well, a monkey who knows x86 assembly and how to use OllyDbg.

Guess they decided to break (some of?) the downloaded versions. Like Nalano says, I'd blame EA.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihkel View Post
    Yeah actually. You already own the game. Also download all the DLC, fuck em.
    Have the DLCs been cracked?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    It's funny 'cause the retail version of DA:O had only the very simplest of disc checks in an unencrypted EXE. A monkey could crack it. Well, a monkey who knows x86 assembly and how to use OllyDbg.

Guess they decided to break (some of?) the downloaded versions. Like Nalano says, I'd blame EA.
    This has become weirdly common: saddle the digital versions with broken-ass DRM but leave the retail box version relatively untouched. Ubi removing Tages from boxed Anno 1404 but leaving it on all the digital versions springs to mind.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Ubi [doing something stupid and inconsistent with DRM] springs to mind.
    Considering how often that happens, how could it not?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    Have the DLCs been cracked?
    Yea. If I remember this correctly it's just copy paste and shit works well.
    My mistake, they come with an installer and shit works well, no cracking required.

Obscure Node
    Yep, contact GamersGate. I had problems once with a game from them and they did everything in their power to have the situation fixed.

Well as per the consensus I downloaded a crack to get it working . On the plus side it now works like a charm on the down side it has started me onto a life of crimes. Oh noes!

I did try the legit way but Gamersgate just told me to contact EA and EAs help was less effective, more convuluted and took much longer than downloading a 5mb cracked exe. But I have to say EA were alot more responsive than I expected. Their live chat guy talked me through a couple of things I hadn't tried yet and the wait to speak to him was <10minutes. I mean he didn't solve the problem but he certainly helped me with it.

Banned
    It's a slippery slope, my friend. Soon you'll be into a different sort of crack ;) Then comes heroin. And then the boxcutters. Bang up a girl, abuse her, abuse your kid, get hit by a car, fall into a vegetative coma, miraculously recover...confess to the Almighty One...just remember that it all started with Ubisoft.

Fuck you Ubisoft for shitting on the name of Ghost Recon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Well as per the consensus I downloaded a crack to get it working . On the plus side it now works like a charm on the down side it has started me onto a life of crimes. Oh noes!

I did try the legit way but Gamersgate just told me to contact EA and EAs help was less effective, more convuluted and took much longer than downloading a 5mb cracked exe. But I have to say EA were alot more responsive than I expected. Their live chat guy talked me through a couple of things I hadn't tried yet and the wait to speak to him was <10minutes. I mean he didn't solve the problem but he certainly helped me with it.
    Ultimate edition comes with all DLC and awekening. Do they work too with cracked game or you just get the core game?

Enjoy the game and don't get angry at a particular part of the game. we all hate it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    ...don't get angry at a particular part of the game. we all hate it.
    The particular part being the entirety of the game?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    The particular part being the entirety of the game?
    no. deep roads. rest of the game is good to very good with few moments of exceptional goodness (did put only 50 hours in it and did not finish. rescue the princess storyline mission is where i got off. so can't speak about the ending)