Graphics Card Question

I have a GTX 590 card, and it is supposed to have 3 GB of Video RAM, but in display properties it says that it only has 1.5 GB. Is it because something is not connected like it should be, or is it because it's dual-GPU, and is only showing half of it?
    Picture of what I mean:
    Untitled.jpg
    EDIT: for some reason the resolution of that picture was lowered when i uploaded it here, hope you can see it
    Last edited by veljaaa; 24-11-2011 at 12:59 AM. Reason: edit

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Not trying to sound condescending, but you're running an x64 version of Windows 7, right?

EDIT: Actually... would that affect the system's reported VRAM? Not sure.
    Last edited by soldant; 24-11-2011 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Oh wait maybe not

I don't know it that would affect the VRAM, but, anyway, i'm using 64-bit Windows. Also, for now, I haven't run into any problems with framerate in any game with everything maxed out at 1080p, I was just checking because I've seen that it says 1536 MB in system specs although it is advertised as 3 GB card.

EDIT: I just did a bit of checking online, and it looks like GTX 590 has only 1536 MB of VRAM usable because it's a dual-GPU card with two 1.5 GB GPUs, and that VRAM is not added, but mirrored from one to another GPU, or something along those lines.
    Last edited by veljaaa; 24-11-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Just had a look online too and yeah seems like you're right, 1.5GB for each GPU. Which is... pretty ridiculous because it seems like it's only addressing 1.5GB most of the time. Basically two cards smashed together into one or something, GPU architecture does my head in sometimes. I guess in theory it should be using a mixture of the two VRAM banks but... maybe not?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, basically it's two graphics cards squeezed into one physical card. Just like with SLi/Crossfire setups you can't add the amounts of memory in each card together to get a total VRAM, as both cards need all assets in their own memory (eg, both cards need to draw enemy number 7 at some point, so they both need the textures and model for enemy number 7)

Obscure Node
    SLI works a bit like RAID mirroring, I think (in this respect).

Not that this comment adds anything useful, I'd just like to express my jealousy of your phenomenonemally Big Shiny Gpu.