Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus pakoito's Avatar

Bethesda: Consoles to be the lead platform for Skyrim, aim to make it “accessible"

http://www.gamersmint.com/bethesda-c...lly-accessible

Tears from this line onwards
    ____

Network Hub
    What a shame. Down with this sort of thing.

Am I the only one getting a dead link then?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So like Oblivion then?

Since I don't play Bethesda games until about 50,000 mods have come out so long as its still modable (read fixable) I'm not too worried.

Quote Originally Posted by jackspade View Post
    Am I the only one getting a dead link then?
    DDoS by reddit fame, rety later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbulb View Post
    Since I don't play Bethesda games until about 50,000 mods have come out so long as its still modable (read fixable) I'm not too worried.
    This.

But it's still a shame I've always viewed RPGs as PC's last dominion....
    Testing 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Wizardry View Post
    So like Oblivion then?
    And Fallout 3. Not really seeing the problem here.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    For most games, this would be a bad thing.

But for The Elder Scrolls, an interface that's good for consoles would still be better than what the previous titles had.

Network Hub
    This is what it says.

In an interview with CVG, Bethesda’s Craig Lafferty said that Skyrim has been developed with consoles as the lead target.
    The lead producer on Skyrim said: “We use the consoles as our lead SKU… So we develop towards the consoles and then porting to PC is usually not too bad actually .”
    The above comments are likely to cause PC gamers a bit of grief, and the next thing on Craig Lafferty’s mind was unlikely to appease them.
    “We wanted to take it and make it really accessible,” the producer said.“… We still have the complexity behind the scenes, but we wanted to make it so that you could pick up the controller and play and it was easy; the average person could get into it…We knew we wanted to make the user interface a little bit more open and available … get away from the stats and things like that.”
    Hopefully this doesn’t mean we will be getting a dumbed down version of the RPG, but rather a slicker and more streamlined game. Simplifying RPG’s usually equates to commercial success, but also causes a split in your core audience, as we saw with Dragon Age 2. Bethesda will have to make sure they don’t alienate its established fan base in its quest to please the “average person”.
    That's actually from the interview <a href="http://www.computerandvideogames.com/306184/news/video-interview-the-elder-scrolls-skyrim/">here</a>.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    I'm not clear on how this is markedly different from what they did with Oblivion. It's certainly frustrating, but the key question as always is "will modding be supported?" If no, no sale, if yes, most of this damage should be repairable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    But... but... I love the Elder Scrolls lore ever since Daggerfall.... [*insert sound of heart breaking*] I... I even played your silly Redguard game with that horrible swordfighting (but great puzzles)... [*insert sound of uncontrolled sobbing*] .... I... I upgraded my computer for you (and Witcher 2, but you've always been on my mind)...

This... this genuinely hurts.

Let's hack and shutdown PSN again until all consoles burn and break and kill their owners.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

I wasn't going to get it anyway, Bethesta make impressive massive open worlds but fill them with the most unimaginative characters/story, along with some of the worst dry and dreary writing I have seen in games. I don't see why people are fussed about it, they aren't very good rpgs and never have been, but you get to fight dragons so I guess it must be goty.

Everyone grab a weapon and destroy the nearest console. They can't cater for them if they don't exist?

It's not about the interface or the control, and maybe not even about the stats and perks and skilltrees. It's about the story, character development and design choices. Consolegamers have all ADHD, you cannot stick them with a pure sneaky or diplomatic game, the closer you can get is Press A for Awesome cutscenes. Also they need to be handholded through it or else they may feel lost and go back to Dragon Age 2.

One dood in reddit after being told that it's not about the interface but the roleplaying:

What role playing part? The part where you play a character? How do stats have anything to do with this? Why do people need to see the numbers? Oblivion had far too many stats. I needed a god damn note book to mark down how many level ups I had in a certain attribute skill tree, so I would know when I could actually level. That ian't immersive.
    Last edited by pakoito; 08-06-2011 at 06:18 PM.

Network Hub
    Oh well! At least I've still got Morrowind

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pakoito View Post
    It's not about the interface or the control, and maybe not even about the stats and perks and skilltrees. It's about the story, character development and design choices. Consolegamers have all ADHD, you cannot stick them with a pure sneaky or diplomatic game, the closer you can get is Press A for Awesome cutscenes. Also they need to be handholded through it or else they may feel lost and go back to Dragon Age 2.
    Oh as a CONSOLEGAMER I didn't realise I was stupid and had ADHD Thanks for clearing this up Pakoito.

All PC gamers are ENTIRELY SENSIBLE and NOT AT ALL REACTIONARY and POSSESS SUPERB ATTENTION SPANS AND POWERS OF READING.

Vin; In alec's article he clearly says that Modding is fully supported so I'd hope that's still the case.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by laneford View Post
    Vin; In alec's article he clearly says that Modding is fully supported so I'd hope that's still the case.
    I missed that somehow, thanks for the clarification.

Obscure Node
    What the hell? Where did that guy learn to do PR?

Now I've discovered I'm stupid and need everything spelled out to me and like things to be really easy and and and and have no attention span, can I go back to playing Demon Souls?