Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 187
  1. #41
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I concede that it sometimes feels too Hollywood, in that all this gleam and marketing is getting in the way of actually making a game, but I can still name and cite my opinion on every single companion and half the NPCs I came across, which is a feat in itself and a credit to the writers.
    And I guess that's the big difference. I remember Miranda's name, because I hated her too. I think the other Cerb guy was named Jacob? Oh, and I remember Jak, because I hated her too, more than even the Cerb people in fact. Other than that, the only companions whose names I even remember were the ME1 carry overs.

  2. #42
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    And I guess that's the big difference. I remember Miranda's name, because I hated her too. I think the other Cerb guy was named Jacob? Oh, and I remember Jak, because I hated her too, more than even the Cerb people in fact. Other than that, the only companions whose names I even remember were the ME1 carry overs.
    You don't remember Mordin Solus?

    Of all the people not to remember!

    (and I liked Jack; jackass woobie notwithstanding)
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  3. #43
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    You don't remember Mordin Solus?
    Now that you say "Mordin" it brings him to mind, yes. There's certainly no way I could have told you his last name, and to be honest I don't think I could have given you his first if you'd showed me a picture. I remember liking the character, mind you, but none of them really left any kind of indelible impression.

  4. #44
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Now that you say "Mordin" it brings him to mind, yes. There's certainly no way I could have told you his last name, and to be honest I don't think I could have given you his first if you'd showed me a picture. I remember liking the character, mind you, but none of them really left any kind of indelible impression.
    Gah! You're incorrigible.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  5. #45
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Gah! You're incorrigible.
    I'd have gone with "forgetful" myself, but this does kind of underscore a fundamental difference in how much narrative and character matter to us in games. Frankly, I've always thought games were a pretty miserable medium for telling authorially-driven stories, and a pretty great medium for telling emergent ones. I remember that insane game of EU2 I played as Dai Viet 6 years ago with far more clarity than I remember the plot of ME2.

  6. #46
    Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    978
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    than I remember the plot of ME2.
    Just to underline that, whenever someone mentions "Mordin", my first thought is always this guy:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morden_(Babylon_5)

    And I even liked ME2.

  7. #47
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by TillEulenspiegel View Post
    Just to underline that, whenever someone mentions "Mordin", my first thought is always this guy:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morden_(Babylon_5)

    And I even liked ME2.
    Indeed. And yeah, I'm not really trying to knock ME2 here, but there are incredibly few game plots/characters that are actually memorable IMO.

  8. #48
    Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, Missouri.
    Posts
    934
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    ... because I didn't go to the final confrontation fast enough was "good." "My" people survived, all the Cerberus drones died, that's the "good" ending as far as my character was concerned. ...
    Totally agree except for Dr Chakwas - I saved her, the rest of the crew were expendable.

    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    Now that you say "Mordin" it brings him to mind, yes. There's certainly no way I could have told you his last name, and to be honest I don't think I could have given you his first if you'd showed me a picture. I remember liking the character, mind you, but none of them really left any kind of indelible impression.
    If there is a single companion moment from ME2, it's Mordin singing Gilbert and Sullivan.

    Give me a second moment, and it's demasking Tali.

    Still, as disappointing in terms of improvements as ME2 was after Me1, it was still a great game. ME3 will no doubt suffer some too, but it will still be a great game. We quibble about the changes, but it's worth bearing in mind that it's like arguing about what topping types are on an amazing pizza.
    Last edited by DigitalSignalX; 25-11-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

  9. #49
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I'd have gone with "forgetful" myself, but this does kind of underscore a fundamental difference in how much narrative and character matter to us in games.
    I'm aware of that. I'm teasing you. :P
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  10. #50
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm aware of that. I'm teasing you. :P
    I know, but I also really like hearing (seeing?) myself talk (type?), surely you've noticed. :)

  11. #51
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I know, but I also really like hearing (seeing?) myself talk (type?), surely you've noticed. :)
    What, and I don't?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  12. #52
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    the angry dome
    Posts
    3,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    What, and I don't?
    I defer to your post count, sir, and withdraw.

  13. #53
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    8,750
    Get a room
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

  14. #54
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,164
    Last year I decided I'd only buy two games at full price this year, and I have achieved that goal and will continue to stick to it. The two games were Deus Ex: HR and Battlefield 3, in case you were wondering.

    However, my brain made the association that 'two games at full price' is essentially the same as 'anything less than full price is totally fine'. A quick look at my purchase history shows that I took full advantage of that, and as such I really don't want to know how much I've spent on Steam this year.

  15. #55
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by neema_t View Post
    However, my brain made the association that 'two games at full price' is essentially the same as 'anything less than full price is totally fine'. A quick look at my purchase history shows that I took full advantage of that, and as such I really don't want to know how much I've spent on Steam this year.
    $50 WoW + $20 TBC + $20 WotLK + 36mo * $15/mo + 12mo * $10/mo = $750.

    Blizzard are geniuses/devils.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  16. #56
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    135
    I started using Steam this year. I had an account, but I never had a CC, so I only ever owned HL2, Empire: Total War and a few select others. In a year's time I've increased my library to over 200 games. Many of whom are humble bundles and the like.

    I've followed a very loose rule of buying GotY (/full DLC) editions at $10 and normal releases at $5. I also generally check that it's at least 60% off.

    Out of all my buys this year I've probably played 25 games more than an hour. A few of those are into hundreds of hours namely Patrician IV, Victoria II, Mount & Blade (and derivatives) and Europa Universalis III in no particular order.

    It's pretty much got to the point where there is almost more fun in buying games than playing them. I mean it's a Big Mac in price. I'm an addict. That said, I have mostly ignored sales over the last few months (but now we have the pre-season sale! Urghhh...)

  17. #57
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I defer to your post count, sir, and withdraw.
    Joined: 27th Jul 2011
    Posts: 1,778

    121 days passed between the date of this post and join date.
    That's about 14,69 posts a day. O_o

  18. #58
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by DarioSamo View Post
    Joined: 27th Jul 2011
    Posts: 1,778

    121 days passed between the date of this post and join date.
    That's about 14,69 posts a day. O_o
    My name is Nalano, and I'm an unsolicited opinion-giver.

    Hi Nalano
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  19. #59
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Jolly Ole England
    Posts
    3,086
    He took a week off once and I thought he died.

  20. #60
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    $50 WoW + $20 TBC + $20 WotLK + 36mo * $15/mo + 12mo * $10/mo = $750.

    Blizzard are geniuses/devils.
    I got WoW, but the rest is a mystery. But yeah, that's basically what Steam is to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by IDtenT View Post
    I've followed a very loose rule of buying GotY (/full DLC) editions at $10 and normal releases at $5. I also generally check that it's at least 60% off.
    This is generally what I do, but sometimes maintaining the discipline can be difficult. For example, Rage, I played my brother's PS3 copy and felt pretty 'meh' about it, but then I felt this urge to play it again a few times afterwards. Then, one day, at random, the game was 33% off because of a bloody asteriod doing something in space, and that just happened to be the day after I had an itch to play Rage. So I bought it, and I don't really regret it because the amount of fun I've had so far has been 20 worth and I fully intend to finish the bloody thing unlike so many games I buy for less than 10, or even 7.50. Still, even though I try to stick to this (or something close to it), I just know I will have spent 500 on games this year or something ridiculous. Now I need to know so I'm going to work it out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •