Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 187
  1. #141
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    I may have to try organising my games in a spreadsheet or Steam categories too, it looks helpful.

    I didn't find it too difficult to go through the sales without buying anything, although there were a handful of titles that tempted me, and super-cheap DLC for games like Dungeons of Dredmor and Assault Squad.

    I quite enjoyed doing the achievements (ironic that my motivation for playing these games I haven't played was the chance of winning more games), I'll definitely be playing more of Bastion, Wings of Prey and Binding of Isaac now I've given them a try.
    I've tried doing this, even as much to organise my steam library into what I must play and finish first. Sadly the problem being with a huge library, an abundance of hard drive space and deals so cheap it feels rude to pass up on I now have a tidal wave of over 250 games installed! and I've only finished 7 of them!!!

    What I need is someone to help exert some self control or just to slap my hands away from the keyboard when I see anything else on offer and make me finish what I started. Would ask the Mrs but if she found out what I spend on my "Silly little hobby" she'd go mental.

  2. #142
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by DougallDogg View Post
    What I need is someone to help exert some self control or just to slap my hands away from the keyboard when I see anything else on offer and make me finish what I started. Would ask the Mrs but if she found out what I spend on my "Silly little hobby" she'd go mental.
    Well I just made a RPS Sales Hiatus 2012 Steam group for those wanting some support structure. I thought it might be a good idea given the number of other people wanting to do this.

    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SaleHiatus2012

    It's a public group, so anyone who wants to can join. That way at least you're under the eyes of other sufferers.

    Apols about the fast Photoshop and unoriginal name, but major flu atm so little capacity for creativity at present. :(
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  3. #143
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    NY f'n C
    Posts
    9,917
    Quote Originally Posted by DougallDogg View Post
    I've tried doing this, even as much to organise my steam library into what I must play and finish first. Sadly the problem being with a huge library, an abundance of hard drive space and deals so cheap it feels rude to pass up on I now have a tidal wave of over 250 games installed! and I've only finished 7 of them!!!
    I'm wondering if there's a weird nether region of the gaming industry where we have developers who don't debug their games being forced by publishers who don't test their products to release to customers who never actually get around to playing them.

    You have to admit, it would certainly explain a lot of things.
    Last edited by Nalano; 03-01-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

  4. #144
    Obscure Node
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Bristol, UK
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    Well I just made a RPS Sales Hiatus 2012 Steam group for those wanting some support structure. I thought it might be a good idea given the number of other people wanting to do this.

    http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SaleHiatus2012

    It's a public group, so anyone who wants to can join. That way at least you're under the eyes of other sufferers.

    Apols about the fast Photoshop and unoriginal name, but major flu atm so little capacity for creativity at present. :(
    Corking idea. Holiday sale addiction focus group to the rescue. Although got the feeling the summer sale might get me back on the wagon. Might have to limit myself to buying no games made with a development team of more than 3 people or the director is also the cleaner and receptionist all rolled into one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm wondering if there's a weird nether region of the gaming industry where we have developers who don't debug their games being forced by publishers who don't test their products to release to customers who never actually get around to playing them.

    You have to admit, it would certainly explain a lot of things.
    Hahaha yeah it would. Got the feeling I'm one of the guinea pigs. Can just picture it now, devs trawling through steam users libraries to see how many games they own and how long, if at all they have played them and saying "He'll do. 400 games owned and only 4 hours played".

  5. #145
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by DougallDogg View Post
    Corking idea. Holiday sale addiction focus group to the rescue. Although got the feeling the summer sale might get me back on the wagon. Might have to limit myself to buying no games made with a development team of more than 3 people or the director is also the cleaner and receptionist all rolled into one.
    Well I think you have to set your own limits. Mines Christmas 2012. The key thing is obviously to mark it out. Whether it's a max number of titles, no AAAs, a certain monthly allowance, nothing but 'X game', etc, etc

    I'd be doing this on my own anyway, but if people want to tag along in their own way then that's fine.

    Under the group comments I've added an outline of my personal aims namely: -

    My intention is to buy no more games (old or new) until the Steam Christmas sale 2012. New DLC for existing owned games (Skyrim/SR3/DX:HR) may be permissible.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 03-01-2012 at 10:37 PM.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  6. #146
    Network Hub SMiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Langhorne, PA, USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    390
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I'm wondering if there's a weird nether region of the gaming industry where we have developers who don't debug their games being forced by publishers who don't test their products to release to customers who never actually get around to playing them.

    You have to admit, it would certainly explain a lot of things.
    Careful there. You dig too deep, you never know what you'll unearth. I would stay away from windows for a while if I were you. You never know when the snip
    Game Library Completion: 174/223 - 78.03%

  7. #147
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,027
    I had spreadsheet my games at one point with a nice column for games complete. Still rather barren.

    Steam games are always there, but always hard to pass up on a bargain. Console/handheld I collect and still got lots unopened.

    I play a game for 40 hours, then when i revisit it a year later, I tend to restart it due to being lost and no clue where I left off and what I have discovered already.
    I play lots of multiplayer, hard to finish other games. LoL, WoW, SC2 and soon D3.

    Currently working on:

    3DS: Zelda, 1st playthrough
    PSP: Fate/Extra, Monsters Deluxe
    PS3: uhh nothing really
    Xbox: Nothing
    PC: Undecided. Maybe Orcs Must Die! and Serious Sam 3

    I need to start a blog or something and try to focus on completing something. Maybe post a summary a couple times a week of what I did in the game.

  8. #148
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,850
    Here's my spreadsheet.

    Games marked in green are completed. First column is games I haven't given a chance. Second is games I've played but want to play more of (bear in mind that contains some permanent fixtures like EU3 and X3 that I've played for hundreds of hours). Third column is games I liked well enough but don't intend to play more of. Last column is games I don't intend to play, either because they don't look like something I'd enjoy or because I tried them and didn't like them.

    Just Steam games for now, minus multiplayer titles. Probably got half as many again in boxes and through other services, although more of my boxed games have actually been played.

  9. #149
    Network Hub SMiD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Langhorne, PA, USA! USA! USA!
    Posts
    390
    I've beaten a few smaller titles to get my confidence up: And Yet It Moves; Blocks That Matter; and Shadowgrounds. Currently about 1/2 way through Shadowgrounds: Survivor, and then it's on to something meatier. I'm thinking Mass Effect 1 & 2 should do nicely.

    This backlog will get cleared, dammit!
    Game Library Completion: 174/223 - 78.03%

  10. #150
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,196
    Good Job SmiD. This flu thing is killing me atm which means I'm not exactly in a game playing mood (major A.D.D going on), but when I've got all my faculties back I intend to get back into LA Noire which albeit is flawed I'm enjoying for the story line.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  11. #151
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Dude, you're fucked. That's so much game. Those aren't little titles either!

  12. #152
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Lagoon West, Vermilion Sands
    Posts
    4,196
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    Dude, you're fucked. That's so much game. Those aren't little titles either!
    I don't think the intention is to necessarily clear everyone but slice off a good few by the years end. Getting a lot of the smaller and part finished games out of the way is probably key really.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

    Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

    Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

    Probable Replicant

    *blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

    He who controls the Doge controls the universe

  13. #153
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,027
    Finally beat XCOM, and all it took was 10 days. http://www.twitch.tv/suftv Recorded my game. Unfortunately I did not realize you had to Save Forever your broadcasts before 4 days, so first few videos are gone forever. :(

    I only did one save load for the entire game.

    Now why didn't I beat this years ago.
    Last edited by Moraven; 14-01-2012 at 10:21 AM.

  14. #154
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,333
    Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    A few bottles of beer don't count, it's someone's birthday.
    There's a huge difference between an alcoholic and someone who is just trying to drink less.

  15. #155
    Lesser Hivemind Node DigitalSignalX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, Missouri.
    Posts
    931
    "NNGFAY" is the official acronym now for supporters?

    Quote Originally Posted by TailSwallower View Post
    ... stuff about origin...
    Last edited by DigitalSignalX; 14-01-2012 at 08:33 PM.
    All times I have enjoyed greatly, have suffered greatly, both with those that loved me, and alone.

  16. #156
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    47
    I'm in. No new games until the winter sale (Humble Bundles and DLC for Skyrim are the only exceptions).

  17. #157
    Lesser Hivemind Node TailSwallower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cold Toast, Straya
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSignalX View Post
    "NNGFAY" is the official acronym now for supporters?
    If anyone else wants to roll with it that's cool, but I was getting sick of typing out No New Games for a Year, so went with the acronym. It gets bonus points because at first glance it looks offensive.
    weekendwarrio.rs - We've got more games than time...

  18. #158
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelron View Post
    Here's my spreadsheet.

    Games marked in green are completed. First column is games I haven't given a chance. Second is games I've played but want to play more of (bear in mind that contains some permanent fixtures like EU3 and X3 that I've played for hundreds of hours). Third column is games I liked well enough but don't intend to play more of. Last column is games I don't intend to play, either because they don't look like something I'd enjoy or because I tried them and didn't like them.

    Just Steam games for now, minus multiplayer titles. Probably got half as many again in boxes and through other services, although more of my boxed games have actually been played.
    Time to impress with my amazing internetz knowledge.
    There's this site where you input your SteamID and it parses through your library, tells you how much time of your life you've wasted on Steam, approximately how much you spent and sorts your games neatly in "played" and "unplayed".
    http://wastedonsteam.com/

    I have 132 "played" titles and 144 "unplayed" titles (e.g. games I've never started :P), even from the played category there's a lot that have below 1 hour game time though :P

    It also says this:

    "Has played 132/276 games.Owns 276 games for a total worth of $2894.45.
    Overall account cost/hour for gametime is $2.77"

    I'm comfortable with my Steam buying ways though :P

  19. #159
    Network Hub Gerbick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    York
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Time to impress with my amazing internetz knowledge.
    There's this site where you input your SteamID and it parses through your library, tells you how much time of your life you've wasted on Steam, approximately how much you spent and sorts your games neatly in "played" and "unplayed".
    http://wastedonsteam.com/
    Good stuff! Exactly the kind of list I wanted to see, but really couldn't be bothered to do myself.

    Hmm it seems I only have 7 unplayed games, none of which were purchased individually. Of the 57 remaining played games, I can now see I need to play more of Amnesia, AI War, Witcher, Machinarium, Deus Ex, Vampire: TMB and Space Chem. That lot should keep me busy, and I can only start on them when I've stopped obsessing over Dredmor!

  20. #160
    Neat, except it uses current price data from Steam instead of what you actually paid for the game (I didn't pay $0 for TF2, and half the games I own I got in packs), so the whole price thing is rendered meaningless. Not that it really could know, unless it let you input the prices yourself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •