Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'd say the lesson is use PayPal as little as possible. Not saying Steam is perfect by any means, but I've had issues with PayPal over the years. Used to buy and sell heavy metal vinyl a lot and I must have had about 300 worth of stuff taken from me via PayPal over disputes where people claim the item had not been sent.
    Unless using Ebay, stay away from PayPal unless you really must use it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scumbag View Post
    I'd say the lesson is use PayPal as little as possible. Not saying Steam is perfect by any means, but I've had issues with PayPal over the years. Used to buy and sell heavy metal vinyl a lot and I must have had about 300 worth of stuff taken from me via PayPal over disputes where people claim the item had not been sent.
    Unless using Ebay, stay away from PayPal unless you really must use it.
    As a way to send money to people you know without coming across the exorbitant international fees that Western Union and other "traditional" wired money transferers charge, it's a great tool.

As a replacement for bank transfers and eCommerce, it's a notoriously suspect system.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Memph View Post
    I am a happy Steam user, but surely noone can argue that an account ban over one transaction is nothing short of ridiculously overkill. Everything else on the account is bought and paid for. Why can't they just block/remove the one title the dispute is over rather than just slap the ban button? Monumental laziness is the only answer I can think of.
    Because they have no way of knowing if it's just the usual Paypal cock-up or an attempt at fraud.

It's not so much Valve's actions which are the problem as their utter incompetence when it comes to resolving the issue. Plus their excuse for it smacks of stupidity - in any other company if they routinely had issues caused by a certain payment method, they tend to drop that payment method until it's sorted out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Aggressor View Post
    Slightly off topic, but I've always found it highly amusing that there are Steam fanboys. I didn't know shops had fanboys. I wonder if there are Tesco and Sainsburys fanboys who have long internet arguments.
    I think they're called "the middle classes".